• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who is left for 2021

If i’m a college D-Line coach, i want to be recruiting to a 4-3 scheme, not a 3-4. A 3 man front is all about projection. “Can this kid carry 330+ pounds and still move?”

With a 4 man front, if you have a DE who isn’t panning out, you throw 30 pounds on him and move him inside. If you have a linebacker who isnt panning out, you throw 30 pounds on him and move him down to DE.

Especially in our 500 mile radius, where most big guys wrestle and stay around 280... There’s HS lineman in SEC country coming into college weighing 350+ pounds, but the pickings are a little slimmer up here.

I’m also disappointed in Tuioti’s recruiting so far. From film i think Big Nash is a better OG prospect than NG, but the way D-Line crootin has been going, we definitely need him over there.

Wiscy wanted Nash at OG and i’ll trust the way they evaluate HS O-Line. How does Cade Habermann project on the defensive side of the ball?
Riiiight... because a guy who has excelled nationally in 2 different sports where the point is to control and bring to the ground an opponent is a better OG than DT. He is allso VEEERY strong and quick. We need to keep him right where he is. He will be eating up double teams all day.

Riiiight... because a guy who has excelled nationally in 2 different sports where the point is to control and bring to the ground an opponent is a better OG than DT. He is allso VEEERY strong and quick. We need to keep him right where he is. He will be eating up double teams all day.
Yeah we do, because we haven’t recruited any other NG’s. If TT doesn’t strike out on Jamar Sekona last year maybe its different. But there’s no doubt Nash would make a great OG, take Paul Chryst’s word for it not mine. Are strength and quickness not good traits to have on the O-Line?

Mario Cristobal and Paul Chryst (2 of the best OL coaches in football) were all over Nash to play O-Line...yet im crazy for suggesting he might project better at Guard.

Last edited:

Mario Cristobal and Paul Chryst (2 of the best OL coaches in football) were all over Nash to play O-Line...yet im crazy for suggesting he might project better at Guard.
I never said crazy. That is your word. I said it makes the most sense to keep him where he is at. We have not had an overpowering DT since Suh. I think he could be close to that level in the end.

I never said crazy. That is your word. I said it makes the most sense to keep him where he is at. We have not had an overpowering DT since Suh. I think he could be close to that level in the end.
I think he’ll do what the nose in a 3 man front should do, as you said, eat up double teams and make a pile. Darrion Daniels did a pretty damn good job last year, but linebacker play was abysmal.

Wiscy wanted Nash at OG and i’ll trust the way they evaluate HS O-Line. How does Cade Habermann project on the defensive side of the ball?
If i’m a college D-Line coach, i want to be recruiting to a 4-3 scheme, not a 3-4. A 3 man front is all about projection. “Can this kid carry 330+ pounds and still move?”

With a 4 man front, if you have a DE who isn’t panning out, you throw 30 pounds on him and move him inside. If you have a linebacker who isnt panning out, you throw 30 pounds on him and move him down to DE.

Especially in our 500 mile radius, where most big guys wrestle and stay around 280... There’s HS lineman in SEC country coming into college weighing 350+ pounds, but the pickings are a little slimmer up here.
Wisconsin recruited Hutmacher as NG, it's why his final 3 were Huskers, Badgers, and Ducks, all of them run a 3-4.

I guess what is interesting, is we are throwing 30 pounds on our LBs and DEs right when they show up, so whether it's a 4-3 or 3-4 that's what we are doing anyway.

I also have tried to debunk the 500 mile radius talk about NG and other positions people say are tough to recruit for the 3-4 like OLB. The starting NG for Wisky who is always a top 10 defense grew up 5 minutes from Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. The #1 NG recruit for Wisconsin and Nebraska was Nash. It doesn't get better than that 1-2 punch out of high school, throw in a grad transfer like Darrion Daniels or other guys, and it's not tough to find NGs everyone wants. You also have JUCO guys like Jahkeem Green or Jordon Riley, or put more weight on a Wildeman or Robinson. Not that difficult.

In regard to OLB, Randy Gregory, Avery Moss, Lavonte David all would be studs at OLB. Or you can just point to the best OLB in Diaco or Chins scheme so far being Luke Gifford who went to Lincoln Southeast, and garnered all-conference honors his only healthy year playing OLB.

I get the 4-3 talk, but Wisconsin has/had 2 guys starting on their front line of their top 10 defense that would have been at Nebraska if offered (Williams and Rand). Just like with our offense, you will always have a "can it work here" until it actually does. We still have people thinking we can't do the offense we do, or the defense we do. It wasn't that long ago that the 4-3 was no good at Nebraska because it was too tough to recruit DL to Lincoln and Gregory/Moss are guys we could plug into the OLB role.

Wisconsin recruited Hutmacher as NG, it's why his final 3 were Huskers, Badgers, and Ducks, all of them run a 3-4.

I guess what is interesting, is we are throwing 30 pounds on our LBs and DEs right when they show up, so whether it's a 4-3 or 3-4 that's what we are doing anyway.

I also have tried to debunk the 500 mile radius talk about NG and other positions people say are tough to recruit for the 3-4 like OLB. The starting NG for Wisky who is always a top 10 defense grew up 5 minutes from Memorial Stadium in Lincoln. The #1 NG recruit for Wisconsin and Nebraska was Nash. It doesn't get better than that 1-2 punch out of high school, throw in a grad transfer like Darrion Daniels or other guys, and it's not tough to find NGs everyone wants. You also have JUCO guys like Jahkeem Green or Jordon Riley, or put more weight on a Wildeman or Robinson. Not that difficult.

In regard to OLB, Randy Gregory, Avery Moss, Lavonte David all would be studs at OLB. Or you can just point to the best OLB in Diaco or Chins scheme so far being Luke Gifford who went to Lincoln Southeast, and garnered all-conference honors his only healthy year playing OLB.

I get the 4-3 talk, but Wisconsin has/had 2 guys starting on their front line of their top 10 defense that would have been at Nebraska if offered (Williams and Rand). Just like with our offense, you will always have a "can it work here" until it actually does. We still have people thinking we can't do the offense we do, or the defense we do. It wasn't that long ago that the 4-3 was no good at Nebraska because it was too tough to recruit DL to Lincoln and Gregory/Moss are guys we could plug into the OLB role.
Valid points. I guess i’m old school and will always prefer the 4-3. Wiscy has had the linebackers for a 3-4. They really get after the QB. With us, it seems like we’ve been trying to force it for 5 years.

Bryson Williams hasn’t done much yet but he’s been banged up. Losing that one is on Riley&Co.

Oregon initially started recruiting Nash as an OL. He made his intentions clear he wanted to play D and they weren’t going to turn him away over it. Based on film, my PERSONAL opinion is that i thought he looked better as an OL. I’m not ragging on his defensive skills at all just saying i really liked what i saw on that side of the ball. Pumped to have a player like him either way.

My other concern is he's never been anywhere on the mainland for longer than 2 seasons... longevity and continuity go a long way.

Sir, assuming Tuioti’s tenure is not long based upon his history then who would you or @N2FL go after?
Valid points. I guess i’m old school and will always prefer the 4-3.
Old school? I think we called our Defense back in the 70s & 80s a 5-2. ... what we operated in high school too. As a defensive end, I see lots of similarities to a 3-4 & can identify with the OLBs roles. Fortunately, we mostly faced teams that were primarily run oriented.

Not good examples to support the recruit locally theory with the 3-4 since 2 were JUCO and the other was not within the 500. However, scheme really doesn't matter that much, you have to get the athletes to run whatever you run. There may not be a lot of 350 pound DL in the area, but there probably isn't that many anywhere.

Valid points. I guess i’m old school and will always prefer the 4-3. Wiscy has had the linebackers for a 3-4. They really get after the QB. With us, it seems like we’ve been trying to force it for 5 years.

Bryson Williams hasn’t done much yet but he’s been banged up. Losing that one is on Riley&Co.

Oregon initially started recruiting Nash as an OL. He made his intentions clear he wanted to play D and they weren’t going to turn him away over it. Based on film, my PERSONAL opinion is that i thought he looked better as an OL. I’m not ragging on his defensive skills at all just saying i really liked what i saw on that side of the ball. Pumped to have a player like him either way.
I hear ya on the 4-3, a lot of people are accustomed to that. I think the 3-4 gives us more options with multiple offenses. I also am intrigued with how Wisconsin can get linebackers worse than what we are recruiting but be so good.

Williams would be here if Frost and the staff were here a year earlier. I guess my point is a guy that started for Wisconsins top 10 defense at NG would be starting for us in 2020 (if we developed the same).

I can't speak on if Nash is better at offense or defense. I just know he was the guy that Nebraska and Wisconsin went after hard for their NG spot. That was a big win for us.

Sir, assuming Tuioti’s tenure is not long based upon his history then who would you or @N2FL go after?
Angus McClure always intrigues me. I think he at least knows what he would be getting into here. John Papuchis is another guy you could look at which would make me laugh a little bit.

N2FL probably has a better pulse on names though. I'm probably an awful person to ask anyway since I was pretty ecstatic about Tuioti and am let down so far.

Not good examples to support the recruit locally theory with the 3-4 since 2 were JUCO and the other was not within the 500. However, scheme really doesn't matter that much, you have to get the athletes to run whatever you run. There may not be a lot of 350 pound DL in the area, but there probably isn't that many anywhere.
I gave local examples and then examples of guys that we got here that would work. Take your pick of any of the half dozen i've listed.

Angus McClure always intrigues me. I think he at least knows what he would be getting into here. John Papuchis is another guy you could look at which would make me laugh a little bit.

N2FL probably has a better pulse on names though. I'm probably an awful person to ask anyway since I was pretty ecstatic about Tuioti and am let down so far.
Appreciate the feedback and your own candor / self assessment.

Does Parella provide any level of interest for you? Maybe question coming from my own 'fan-crush' on the former Husker ... @N2FL did point out previously how well he did in recruiting albeit a small sample size though.

Appreciate the feedback and your own candor / self assessment.

Does Parella provide any level of interest for you? Maybe question coming from my own 'fan-crush' on the former Husker ... @N2FL did point out previously how well he did in recruiting albeit a small sample size though.
I've got zero expertise here, but I'd suggest we consider someone with some TX ties, and get that pipe flowing again. I realize we aren't in the 12, but for a DL, we are a good conference to show your ability to play with the big boys.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back