• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who has the coaching carousel Scoop?

That's a great hire.....10 years ago.
Yep.

Same with Gene Chizik as the coach-in-waiting, if that turns out to be the case. Gene will be in his 60s when Mack is done -- what are we waiting for?

I will disagree, if that is the HC,DC, and OC I think that is a pretty good trio, depending on position coaches they could do pretty good. I get they are older, but they also have a lot of experience.

I will disagree, if that is the HC,DC, and OC I think that is a pretty good trio, depending on position coaches they could do pretty good. I get they are older, but they also have a lot of experience.

If they get Kingsbury, I agree. But I don't see that happening.

I'm not convinced the game didn't pass Mack Brown by. His last few years at UT were dreadful. And now he hasn't been coaching in five years.

I actually like Mack Brown, so I hope it works out for him at UNC. Would North Carolina hire him if he hadn't been a successful coach there in the 90s? I'm going to guess, probably not.

I'm not convinced the game didn't pass Mack Brown by. His last few years at UT were dreadful. And now he hasn't been coaching in five years.

I actually like Mack Brown, so I hope it works out for him at UNC. Would North Carolina hire him if he hadn't been a successful coach there in the 90s? I'm going to guess, probably not.

I wonder if UNC watched ASU with Herm Edwards, while not great it wasn't the complete failure that I thought it would be. The biggest thing for Mack could be his staff. He could be more the face of the program with donor's and recruits parents etc. Who knows what will happen but I would assume that it will be better than 2-10 or what ever Fedora did this year.

I'm sure so much time has passed that it won't be a big deal, but let's just say the way Mack left pissed off the fanbase an awful lot. People didn't blame him for leaving UNC for Texas in football. But the week of the bowl game, he said he hadn't talked to anyone from Texas. Then 2 days before the bowl game, he was announced as coach and was not going to coach UNC in the bowl game.

Mack is a great CEO so as long as he puts together a great staff, especially with great recruiters, he'll do just fine to meet their expectations. And of course beat State and Duke.

Mack to UNC is laughable.

It would be interesting to see what that program could do with a really good coach...i e. If Mack had stayed there the first time around and built a program.

Last edited:

It would be interesting to see what that program could do with a really good coach...i e. If Mack had stayed there the first time around and built a program.

There's a cap to what they can be, and I think Mack in the late 90s is that cap. It will always be a b-ball school

Also, I think he knew 10-2 and finishing second to FSU was the limit.

As a UCLA fan and someone who has utter disdain for U$C, I am very happy they have retained Helton.:Corn2:

You guys are going to own the Trojans for at least the next couple of years. My USC friends and I are jealous of your new coach. USC has pretty much the worst coach in the Pac 12 now. It's very strange.

Last edited:

Also, I think he knew 10-2 and finishing second to FSU was the limit.

I believe they finished 11-1 and ranked in the top five in his last year at UNC (though Carl Torbush coached their bowl game). FSU seemed insurmountable in the ACC at that time. Ironically, if he'd have stayed at UNC not too many more years, he'd have been present when FSU began to slide.

Today could be decision/announcement day for Purdue Coach Brohm.

Trying to piece it altogether from both good sources, what the media has been saying, and the public non-committal comments made by Coach Brohm himself, here is my take:

UL originally contacted Brohm and he expressed interest in the job.
Based on this, ESPN's Dan Dakich assumed it would be a done deal and therefore put out his ill-advised tweet about 2 weeks ago saying deal would be announced on November 26.
But as discussions between UL and Brohm ensued, it became apparent Brohm was not going to give them a hometown discount.
It's actually the opposite.
Brohm is asking for big money and a long term guarantee. I'm hearing 8 or 9 years guaranteed.
This is where is gets sketchy. Who will buckle? Will both sides make concessions? Does Brohm say no thanks.
It's pretty well known that Coach Brohm met with UL AD Tyra yesterday in Indianapolis for approximately 3 hours.
Nothing official has come out from that yet. Some current UL commits say it is being implied Brohm will be their coach. But others are saying Brohm will say no.
Today could be the day.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back