• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who Does PAC-12 Target

The Pac-12 should grab onto their butts.

I did not expect the PAC-12 to have 2 of their flagship schools poached, and I bet they didn’t either. I assume they’ll go after schools in the already-shaky Big 12, but suddenly the PAC-12 is not looking very stable either.

Maybe there will be a change of heart in one or more of the conferences. While it's doubtful, maybe they will go back to something more closely resembling FCS schools. I'm afraid, however, that the money from remaining somehow in the power picture too enticing.

Unfortunately for both the Big XII and PAC, they can only circle the wagons right now until things settle. They aren't in a position to drive expansion like the B1G and SEC can. PAC has other schools longing for the B1G while the Big XII has schools looking for a lifeline from the B1G and SEC.

If the B1G and SEC move to 18 or beyond, I just don't see both of those conferences surviving at the P5 level. They will have to merge or the remaining teams will be choosing between the Sun Belt, Mountain West, and Big Sky Conferences.

Unfortunately for both the Big XII and PAC, they can only circle the wagons right now until things settle. They aren't in a position to drive expansion like the B1G and SEC can. PAC has other schools longing for the B1G while the Big XII has schools looking for a lifeline from the B1G and SEC.

If the B1G and SEC move to 18 or beyond, I just don't see both of those conferences surviving at the P5 level. They will have to merge or the remaining teams will be choosing between the Sun Belt, Mountain West, and Big Sky Conferences.

If B1G does snag Washington, Oregon and Stanford, I fully expect the PAC-12 to merge with the Big XII

The PAC is probably too weak to poach B12 schools. The B12 schools have a strong incentive to avoid dissolving the conference, because the rights money from OU and Texas could lead to an exit fee negotiation (to join the SEC early) or at least they’d benefit from the value of Texas/OU for several more years. What can the Pac12 offer to outweigh that?

The B12 is a poorly managed conference, but they are still in a better position than the PAC. There are also not as many potential partners in the west to expand the PAC as the B12 enjoys.

The PAC is probably too weak to poach B12 schools. The B12 schools have a strong incentive to avoid dissolving the conference, because the rights money from OU and Texas could lead to an exit fee negotiation (to join the SEC early) or at least they’d benefit from the value of Texas/OU for several more years. What can the Pac12 offer to outweigh that?

The B12 is a poorly managed conference, but they are still in a better position than the PAC. There are also not as many potential partners in the west to expand the PAC as the B12 enjoys.

The Big 12 should hold onto the Longhorns/Sooners until the end to guarantee the current television team payouts. I would assume the Big 12 will not offer either team any favors the next 3 seasons with scheduling. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The Big 12 should hold onto the Longhorns/Sooners until the end to guarantee the current television team payouts. I would assume the Big 12 will not offer either team an favors the next 3 seasons with scheduling. :thumbsup:
Agreed. The Pac-12, with no media rights deal going forward has nothing to entice teams to leave the B12 (or almost any other conference) right now. Their next deal has to materialize first.

I suppose they could get teams in the MW to believe they’d make more money and gain prestige. But Boise St has their own contract, so that may be trickier. San Diego State, Fresno State, Utah State, Boise State? What combination of any of those teams will bring stability or help to enhance their media value? I see nothing.

Agreed. The Pac-12, with no media rights deal going forward has nothing to entice teams to leave the B12 (or almost any other conference) right now. Their next deal has to materialize first.

I suppose they could get teams in the MW to believe they’d make more money and gain prestige. But Boise St has their own contract, so that may be trickier. San Diego State, Fresno State, Utah State, Boise State? What combination of any of those teams will bring stability or help to enhance their media value? I see nothing.

The Pac 12 is definitely in a tough spot. Their best bet would be to merge with the Big 12. However, several Pac 12 schools will not want to venture into a new conference agreement while they are waiting to see the next few moves by the SEC/Big 10.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back