• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who do you MOST want to see Nebraska beat in 2019?

If Nebraska beat only one of these teams in 2019, which game would you MOST want to see them win?*

• Sept. 21: at Illinois

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Oct. 5: Northwestern

• Oct. 12: at Minnesota

• Oct. 26: Indiana

• Nov. 2: at Purdue

• Nov. 23: at Maryland

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Middle-aged_Ball_Coach

Eternal Chairman of the Defense Commission
5 Year Member
*The poll doesn't include South Alabama or Northern Illinois because I could only have 10 choices, and those seemed like the two that were least interesting.

I'm curious who we most want to beat. Here's our full schedule:

Aug. 31: South Alabama
Sept. 7: at Colorado
Sept. 14: Northern Illinois
Sept. 21: at Illinois
Sept. 28: Ohio State
Oct. 5: Northwestern
Oct. 12: at Minnesota
Oct. 26: Indiana
Nov. 2: at Purdue
Nov. 16: Wisconsin
Nov. 23: at Maryland
Nov. 29: Iowa

You can change your vote if you change your mind. I'd like to see people argue for and against teams and explain their own choice. Since a lot of us are going to have a list of teams we most want to beat, go ahead and rank our whole schedule from top to bottom, which also means ranking the teams that would least bother you if they beat us. I'll post mine below in the first comment.

This in no way is meant to show the likelihood of beating these teams or South Alabama and Northern Illinois would be at the top. These are the teams that I most want to see Nebraska defeat in 2019, in order, and the order will likely change somewhat for 2020 depending on what happens this year:

1. Iowa = if you live near Iowa or Iowa fans, this one is a given
  2. Wisconsin = their domination of us needs to end
  3. Ohio State = (see Wisconsin)
  4. Minnesota = does anybody want to see PJ Fleck being interviewed after beating Nebraska? didn't think so
  5. Colorado = (see Iowa, but substitute "Colorado")
  6. Northern Illinois = I don't hate them, but it would be so embarrassing to lose to them ... again
  7. South Alabama = same as above, minus the "again"
  8. Northwestern = they're so unpredictable that it's not embarrassing to lose to them, and they've never been so successful so as to be as overbearing as the teams' fans at the top of this list
  9. Purdue = they haven't beaten us enough for me to hate them, and they're far enough away and have few enough fans that it would be more bearable than the teams above, but they did beat us last year
  10. Illinois = (see Purdue, except they didn't beat us last year)
  11. Indiana = not in our division, so I don't really care
  12. Maryland = (see Indiana)
As a general rule, I hate the teams that have beaten us the most in recent years, but Iowa irks me more than Wisconsin, and Minnesota irks me more than Northwestern. Losing to South Alabama would be a horrific experience for any Huskers fan, so it's hard to put them that low, but if that meant that we beat the teams above them, I'd prefer that to losing to any of them ... I think. I might change my mind on that.

If you're honest when doing this, you should be able to pick a final record, match it up with the teams in your list in order, and see if you still agree. I think that Nebraska is probably going to finish either 8-4 or 9-3 unless there are key injuries or we catch fire and some breaks. If we beat my top 9 and end up losing to Illinois, Indiana, or Maryland, I think I would take that over almost any other possible combination with 3 losses.

Last edited:
CU because I live there so it's kind of personal. :Redface: After that I'd say Ohio State then Wisconsin, then Iowa. Ohio State because it's been at the top of the league and there's no single game against Western Div foes that serves notice on that side in the same way. Wisconsin because of 4,080 yards or whatever it was. Iowa because Iowa.

The order of the rest doesn't matter to me too much. We need to beat them all only because it is our once and future destiny. We need to get back to where it's ok to not be sure which victim is on the menu that week.

Last edited:
CU because I live there so it's kind of personal. :Redface: After that I'd say Ohio State then Wisconsin. Ohio State because it's been at the top of the league and there's no single game against Western Div foes that serves notice on that side in the same way. Wisconsin because of 4,080 yards or whatever it was.
I expect a lot of people to respond based on where they live and which fan base is most vocal near them. (Edit: I guess that that's what I did as Iowa and Iowa fans are closest/loudest in my area.)

Don't forget to vote up above.

Last edited:

Depends on what you mean by "want us to beat them". On an emotional level I'd love to see us beat Iowa to a pulp. But I went with Wisconsin, because that's the team we need to beat on a regular basis if we want to go to the conference championship game.
You can define it however you want, but that's why I said it would be more interesting to explain why. I think that most people end up choosing the team whose fans they most often see.

If I'm understanding you correctly, Iowa is the hate vote, but Wisconsin is the "We've arrived" choice. So, if we only win one of those two games, which one would you choose? I'm going with Iowa until their fans walk around with the same of crack whores.

Wisconsin because we won't ever win the west until we beat them.

I will say that if we beat Iowa by 52 it won't be enough...
This sounds like another vote for "We've arrived" over "Destroy their hope." I went with destroy their frickin' hope. Once that's done, then Wisconsin and Ohio State and Michigan have dates with the woodshed.

I know what the op is trying to do but I keep struggling with the only choose 1 option because the entireity of the season could factor into it so much. It is a little more understanding to me if I ask which two teams would I find most acceptable losing too. Ohio State would be one and then probably Purdue, Northwestern or Minnesota. As like most.......Iowa and Wisconsin are the two teams that most represent who we need to beat in the West to find ourselves back in the hunt both physically and emotionally.

GET TICKETS

Back