• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Who did we pass on that might have worked?

jpmandm

Long time listener, first time caller
10 Year Member
Query, who else could we have gotten when we hired Pelini, Riley, and Frost that has since performed the best? And what can that teach us about who the best candidates might be this year?

Riley's year, Narduzzi and Herman jump out. But hard to think Herman would've come. Narduzzi, maybe. Lot of washouts from that year. Chad Morris, Jim McElwain, etc.

Pelini's year is difficult to say because most people wanted him. Kevin Sumlin? Paul Johnson? Ed Orgeron?

Same for Frost. I doubt anyone can seriously say we should've hired someone else. Had Moos hired Fleck, for example, who looks like a great hire now, he would've been chased out of town.

The further back you look, the more you realize:

Most coaches fail.

It is hard to find a winner.

Most winners don't win for long.

Winners often leave.

Winners usually win soon.

So I guess there should maybe be less reluctance to fire someone after 2-3 years. And let's not beat ourselves up over some of these hires. There's not many guys that were obviously better, whether at the time or in hindsight.

Of course when you're playing this game you could say if we'd fired somebody sooner, different coaches would've been available etc... But that is why message boards exist.

Thought you were talking about the holiday at first glance, I can’t think of one off the top of my head, which tells me nothing. I well say the next coach must be able to recruit and teach recruiting.

Riley's year, Narduzzi and Herman jump out. But hard to think Herman would've come. Narduzzi, maybe. Lot of washouts from that year. Chad Morris, Jim McElwain, etc.

Pelini's year is difficult to say because most people wanted him. Kevin Sumlin? Paul Johnson? Ed Orgeron?

Same for Frost. I doubt anyone can seriously say we should've hired someone else. Had Moos hired Fleck, for example, who looks like a great hire now, he would've been chased out of town.

The further back you look, the more you realize:

Most coaches fail.

It is hard to find a winner.

Most winners don't win for long.

Winners often leave.

Winners usually win soon.

So I guess there should maybe be less reluctance to fire someone after 2-3 years. And let's not beat ourselves up over some of these hires. There's not many guys that were obviously better, whether at the time or in hindsight.

Of course when you're playing this game you could say if we'd fired somebody sooner, different coaches would've been available etc... But that is why message boards exist.
Well stated sir

Here are some hot names I recall - a few of which actually interviewed with UNL, since Franky was canned:

Dan Mullen
Jim Grobe
Chip Kelly
Houston Nutt
Les Miles
Chan Gailey
Paul Johnson
Mike Zimmer
Turner Gill

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks