• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whipple's contract.

Nebraska still has never paid a coordinator more than what they are paying now. The big boys routinely pay well over a million for top flight coaches. Does Nebraska just not want to be good or what? Bargain shopping has gotten them nowhere. I’m still surprised Frost did not want the best of assistants. He wanted his friends instead. 15-29 and 4 losing seasons is the result. I took him for a no nonsense type of guy. I was pretty wrong in my thinking. Nebraska has to decide if it wants to play big boy football, bargain shopping is, and has been over for a long while now.

Nebraska’s coordinators make what many position coaches at winning schools make. NU just seems so worried about an extra 2-3 million per spent on coaches. Why? They make plenty of money. Until they have an attitude of wanting to win no matter the cost, the results will be what they’ve been. And FTR, no coach is worth what they are making, but it’s the way it is, until it isn’t. LSU paid Bo more than 2 million, then fired him without batting an eye and hired more coaches.

Nebraska’s coordinators make what many position coaches at winning schools make. NU just seems so worried about an extra 2-3 million per spent on coaches. Why? They make plenty of money. Until they have an attitude of wanting to win no matter the cost, the results will be what they’ve been. And FTR, no coach is worth what they are making, but it’s the way it is, until it isn’t. LSU paid Bo more than 2 million, then fired him without batting an eye and hired more coaches.
lack of spending is far down on the list for our losses.

Last edited:

I don't think that's the perception of most in the business who've seen what he's done.
Like who? The fans? No one is taking him away, and frankly, I wish someone would. I don’t have much confidence in him, at all. One average at best defense in 4 seasons, with what on paper says, is top 25 talent. I’m just not seeing what so many on this board are.

Like who? The fans? No one is taking him away, and frankly, I wish someone would. I don’t have much confidence in him, at all. One average at best defense in 4 seasons, with what on paper says, is top 25 talent. I’m just not seeing what so many on this board are.

If you think the only proof that someone is well respected in the business is them leaving to take another offer, we'll disagree.

You're right in that you're not seeing what I am, but it is what it is.

I have a hard time looking at what he did last year and not being really impressed. There is talent on the roster and he is developing it and it's playing well. I thought that was the whole idea. He's making his side of the ball better.

Yup

or, Bill Callahan guided Nebraska to a 27-22 record in his four years in Lincoln from 2003-07. He led the Huskers to 9-5 mark in 2006 that included a Big 12 North Division title and a trip to the Big 12 Championship Game. Nebraska lost to Oklahoma, 21-7, in the conference title game at Arrowhead Stadium, before earning a New Year's Day bowl invitation to the Cotton Bowl. NU fell to Auburn, 17-14, to close the 2006 season.
This literally stopped me in my tracks. I think of Callahan as being an utter disaster. But comparing his record to our last two coaches…

Never mind, need to keep the optimism that next year will be a miracle turnaround that all convention wisdom says is nearly impossible. But I’m all N.

If you think the only proof that someone is well respected in the business is them leaving to take another offer, we'll disagree.

You're right in that you're not seeing what I am, but it is what it is.

I have a hard time looking at what he did last year and not being really impressed. There is talent on the roster and he is developing it and it's playing well. I thought that was the whole idea. He's making his side of the ball better.
He had a bunch of super seniors on last years defense, and it was average. You think that defense will be even better this year, without those super seniors? I don’t. The 3 defenses before that, were pathetic. You might need some thicker glasses brotha. ;)

This literally stopped me in my tracks. I think of Callahan as being an utter disaster. But comparing his record to our last two coaches…

Never mind, need to keep the optimism that next year will be a miracle turnaround that all convention wisdom says is nearly impossible. But I’m all N.
Callahan was an epic disaster. Completely. 2/3 of this very board were all for the raises and extensions, only to see a week later, it was an epic disaster. He is Vince Lombardi compared to Riley and so far, Frost.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back