• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which Huskers could start for Ohio State?

In fairness to Fields if this wasn't the NC not sure he would have even been playing. You can bet he was instructed to run OOB whenever possible. He was sucking wind on a couple of those hits and you could see it. Ever tried to do many athletic moves with your ribs screwed up? I have and it took months for my ribs to actually stop hurting from doing fairly simple things. Compare Fields in the Clemson game before he was hurt and he was a very different looking QB imo.

Agreed. Fields was fantastic against Clemson. OSU just plain dominated on offense that day and fields was the QB

Just imagine what AM would look like if we had to play the Alabama defense on AM's best day this year, what would that look like?

All I can hear is crickets

In fairness to Fields if this wasn't the NC not sure he would have even been playing. You can bet he was instructed to run OOB whenever possible. He was sucking wind on a couple of those hits and you could see it. Ever tried to do many athletic moves with your ribs screwed up? I have and it took months for my ribs to actually stop hurting from doing fairly simple things. Compare Fields in the Clemson game before he was hurt and he was a very different looking QB imo.
understand but also being rational and fair to AM....if am had the line, receivers, coaching and play calling that fields has he might be a heisman candidate. I just wish the qb critiques on this board would actually watch other qbs play worse than am. Not sure am was outplayed this year by the opponent very often and the critics still claim he shouldn't be a D1 qb.

understand but also being rational and fair to AM....if am had the line, receivers, coaching and play calling that fields has he might be a heisman candidate. I just wish the qb critiques on this board would actually watch other qbs play worse than am. Not sure am was outplayed this year by the opponent very often and the critics still claim he shouldn't be a D1 qb.
Pal when you don’t throw a TD pass over 20 yards you are not a division 1 QB

Think about this question instead - how many Ohio State players could start for Bama? Who on Bama's team are you going to bench - maybe Shaun Wade could play corner for them, but anyone else? - OSU's receivers aren't going to see the field compared to Bama - maybe OSU's tight end.....but position by position I don't see where OSU is better than Bama.

Well I'm glad we agree. He has thrown tds over 20 yards and he has started as a division 1 QB for three years.
It is pretty lame to try to defend AM as a QB. Yes he showed great promise as a freshman and I was as optimistic as anyone. We have had two years of reality checks. Stats and record don't lie.

Since then his freshman year he has regressed and simply is among the five worst QB's in the Big Ten and that is being generous.

It is pretty lame to try to defend AM as a QB. Yes he showed great promise as a freshman and I was as optimistic as anyone. We have had two years of reality checks. Stats and record don't lie.

Since then his freshman year he has regressed and simply is among the five worst QB's in the Big Ten and that is being generous.
It's pretty lame trying to accuse AM of being one of the worst qbs in the B1G with no evidence. He's number 1 in passing percentage and 5th in total passing efficiency. He's also the 6th leading rusher in the conference and number 1 qb rusher. All this while being surrounded with a poor support staff of blocking and receiving. But whatever....go along with your unsubstantiated criticize of our best offensive weapon.

It's pretty lame trying to accuse AM of being one of the worst qbs in the B1G with no evidence. He's number 1 in passing percentage and 5th in total passing efficiency. He's also the 6th leading rusher in the conference and number 1 qb rusher. All this while being surrounded with a poor support staff of blocking and receiving. But whatever....go along with your unsubstantiated criticize of our best offensive weapon.
Not hard to have high completion percentage when you are throwing flairs and dinks. Oh did you forget about his 10 turnovers in 7 games he played. Near the worst in the country per game.

did you ever feel confident when the game was at a crucial Juncture with him as QB?

if you did I have some really great land to sell you

Not hard to have high completion percentage when you are throwing flairs and dinks. Oh did you forget about his 10 turnovers in 7 games he played. Near the worst in the country per game.

did you ever feel confident when the game was at a crucial Juncture with him as QB?

if you did I have some really great land to sell you
He had three interceptions. Only 3 QBs in Division 1 that played at least 7 games had less. I do remember some of the fumbles. I remember two early on that were due to bad snaps and one on an exchange problem with the running back and one where he was blindsided by a phantom whiff block. Considering how much he ran handled the ball and ran the ball as our leading rusher I'm pretty confident that a few fumbles while he was actually carrying the ball is acceptable.

As far as whether I felt comfortable when the game was at a crucial juncture with him as QB. No, not because of him being QB. I didn't feel comfortable with our ability to execute without a penalty, for us to get a play in that the defense didn't see coming, for us to hold a block or a receiver to get separation. We have proven that this offense is a total disaster regardless of the QB we have in. Its just better with Adrian.

Scary thought... the gap between Alabama and tOSU seems nearly as big as the gap between tOSU and Nebraska.
I don’t think so at all. I think that Alabama was extremely fortunate to catch Ohio State with a quarterback who literally could not run because of chance of further injury. And was obviously bothered by his throwing motion. His balls had no zip except for one pass into the end zone that sailed. And the camera caught him grimacing on that throw...and again the announcers never said anything (but it was Herbie and the tennis guy so what can you expect).

and it’s amazing to me how none of the announcers pointed out that Ohio State was missing their two best pass rushers.

Alabama was extremely effective through the air all day. Part of that was the quarterback was superb and that wide receiver was a Heisman Trophy winner and their scheme to use him was superb. But I would say the biggest reason is because Jones never got his pants dirty all day except for one time which he fumbled.

He simply had all day to pick them apart.

Pressure on the quarterback is so, so important.

IMHO it is the main reason why Adrian has had two inconsistent years. And why we absolutely need a speed rusher or two....like yesterday...

Long story short I thought the talent very equal. Ohio State had a lot of misfortune that they could not overcome.....loosing Sermon like the first play as well. And I think Day did a good job with the situation but the old master Saban out coached him all over the field that day.

Last edited:
I don’t think so at all. I think that Alabama was extremely fortunate to catch Ohio State with a quarterback who literally could not run because of chance of further injury. And was obviously bothered by his throwing motion. His balls had no zip except for one pass into the end zone that sailed. And the camera caught him grimacing on that throw...and again the announcers never said anything (but it was Herbie and the tennis guy so what can you expect).

and it’s amazing to me how none of the announcers pointed out that Ohio State was missing their two best pass rushers.

Alabama was extremely effective through the air all day. Part of that was the quarterback was superb and that wide receiver was a Heisman Trophy winner and their scheme to use him was superb. But I would say the biggest reason is because Jones never got his pants dirty all day except for one time which he fumbled.

He simply had all day to pick them apart.

Pressure on the quarterback is so, so important.

IMHO it is the main reason why Adrian has had two inconsistent years. And why we absolutely need a speed rusher or two....like yesterday...

Long story short I thought the talent very equal. Ohio State had a lot of misfortune that they could not overcome.....loosing Sermon like the first play as well. And I think Day did a good job with the situation but the old master Saban out coached him all over the field that day.

Definitely a few things we agree on. Saban is simply the best. He has a system and assistant coaches and players know it and are accountable to it

There was not one element of our offense that was even above average for a Power 5 conference team. Penalties, turnovers, missed assignments, poor play calling, few explosive plays, and we could keep
going on.

The D was the lone improvement on this team but fully agree with need stud outside linebackers who can get to the QB

@dallasblackshirt

oh..... I think you misunderstood me....

I was not talking about Nebraska at all.

simply commenting that I don’t think there is a talent gap between Alabama and OSU.

pretty obvious we are not in either of those leagues right now.

I think several players from NU could start for tOSU....if they were being coached by tOSU coaches. Think Cam, Jojo and maybe Ty could be starters for tOSU now.

Last edited:

At first I thought this was a really stupid comparison of apples and oranges. Them more I look at it I would say it is a pretty powerful litmus test of where this team is currently at. Ohio St is to the B1G as Alabama is to college football...in a league of their own (currently at least). The more compelling question is how many Huskers would start at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa? Then the follow-up question is, why are they beating us?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back