• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Which game had a bigger impact on Nebraska football?

The only good thing about the TTech loss was that CU could no longer say they had scored the most points against us.

But yeah, 70-10 was only a painful symptom of a problem whose root cause lay at the feet of Perlman / Pederson, and started much earlier.
You are one of the great optimists of our time (we need more of those). I'm guessing you could find plenty of sunshine at the bottom of a sealed pit, in a cavern, on a cloudy day at night.;)

The truth is 'B' never had to happen. The other truth is, eventually 'A' was going to happen. The road to the Orange Bowl was paved on failure. The loss to Texas Tech was due to a 'F that' attitude that threw all sense of sanity out the window. It was the ultimate finger to the championship teams and a clue that the head coach was beyond saving. A ball control offense could have cut that score in half. But the reason Texas Tech pounded points was because our coaching staff willingly fed into their strengths and absolutely refused to be N.

The truth is 'B' never had to happen. The other truth is, eventually 'A' was going to happen. The road to the Orange Bowl was paved on failure. The loss to Texas Tech was due to a 'F that' attitude that threw all sense of sanity out the window. It was the ultimate finger to the championship teams and a clue that the head coach was beyond saving. A ball control offense could have cut that score in half. But the reason Texas Tech pounded points was because our coaching staff willingly fed into their strengths and absolutely refused to be N.
Yep we see it all the time. Teams getting behind 3 TD's in the 1st half and sitting on the ball to control the clock instead of trying to pass and get back in it. I absolutely remember all the Callahan and Riley teams doing that.:Sarcasm:

A. Then B & C would be the two national titles after. Without these championships, we probably wouldn’t still have a deeply engrained, rabid fan base. I know the 70’s titles are important that some of you all remember, but today’s youth wouldn’t be all “N” without the 90’s run.

If it weren’t for the success I don’t think a fan base could still this loyal after the drubbings like TT put on us that year. Many of us on Hmax would probably still be as die hard, but the entirety of the fan base wouldn’t be close to what it is today.

I agree to a degree, Callahan threw that poor freshman into that game as a starter. I can't even remember the kids name. How many picks did he throw? It didn't have to be that bad. Leach would not call off the dogs, not his style.

If I have to go with one of the 2, then definitely A.

But, I’d actually put the loss the Florida State the year before as having a bigger impact on the trajectory of the program. The resolve the team demonstrated after that was remarkable, and probably wouldn’t have existed without the loss.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back