• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked which fanbase has the highest expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskers57

Husker Fan
15 Year Member
The thread about nebraska moving forward to the next level got me thinking...

Some will only take a MNC as the next step of progression and others with a CCG, etc etc....

which program has the most rabid/high expectations?

I'll have to say that Nebraska is in the top 3...and our run in the mid 90s definitely did not do anything to lower the expectations since we still refer to that time frame as the standard which will be almost impossible if not impossible to meet again in this age of college football parity.

what says you?

I'd say Alabama and *shudder* tOSU round out my top 3 as the bases with the highest expectations.

In terms of 10 to 12 win seasons per year as the expectation...(no particular order)

Alabama
LSU
OU
Auburn
Texas
Nebraska
USC
Florida
Ohio State (iffy)
Michigan (iffy)

Some other programs, you need to put up 9 win seasons most years, with an occasional 10-11 season :

A&M
Georgia
Georgia Tech
Clemson
South Carolina
Tennessee
Florida State
Notre Dame

Last edited:
I would say there are probably 10 or so programs out there that the fanbase is just as demanding as ours.

• Bama
  • Auburn
  • LSU
  • tOSU
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • NU
  • OU
  • aTm
  • maybe Tennessee
  • FSU maybe
  • Domers
  • Florida

I wouldn't put USC in there, I think their fans are largely fair weather.

Last edited:

NU fans arrive in their seats 1 hour before kick off, SC fans arrive in their seats 1/2 hour after kick off.

I would say there are probably 10 or so programs out there that the fanbase is just as demanding as ours.

• Bama
  • Auburn
  • LSU
  • tOSU
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • NU
  • OU
  • aTm
  • maybe Tennessee
  • FSU maybe
  • Domers
  • Florida

nebr expectations are a bit more under control now i believe, since we had our downturn in win/loss over the last few years. Nebr was the last program to take a few years off, since the world of espn erupted around 1990. okla, usc, nd, penn st, alabama, lsu, florida, tenn, mich, ohio st, texas ..... everyone had taken a little spiral down except nebr. The temporary downward spiral seems to adjust the expectations back down a bit,

Michigan has shown their high expectations recently when they forced out Lloyd Carr, the season after they went 11-2, I know he also lost to Appalatiation St. but he also beat Tebows heisman team too. Not a bad year, just a horrific start.

Gene Chizak at Auburn- undefeated natl champs less than 2 yr ago, now coach is out

Has any team shown less patience than Flor St, with Bobby Bowden 2 yr ago. He is personally responsible for putting that Univ on the Map

Jeff Thedford at Cal, was canned a few days ago, he became a victim of his own success. Took his team to some top ten rankings a couple years ago, but was never able to get them back there, still a yearly bowl team, but thats not good enuf, even at a school not usually considered a top flight football school.

The "traditional" powers, for sure - 'Bama, Oklahoma, USC, ND, Texas, Michigan, tOSU, UF, etc. and of course UNL.

As primarily an ND fan, I've never quite bought in to the conference idea as being a good one. At one point, sure - travel was difficult and most rivalry games stem from being in the same conference and proximity. It seems outdated to me now, but I certainly respect it, and enjoy it when conference rivals (both old and newly acquired) square off.

In no way do I want to diminish making a Conference Championship a worthy goal. But when there's 120 FBS teams to play (well, 124 but 4 are provisional this year), a major conference only represents around 10% of the possible competition. If that conference happens to be composed of traditional "power" teams and long-standing rivals, great.

But I somehow have a feeling that fans of a C-USA championship team don't feel the same pride for a Conference Championship as the Huskers will when they demolish 'Sconsin.

I think the vast majority of fans of teams in the FBS are just happy to be there at all. If you can beat your main rival and make a bowl game, all is well in the world. If your team ever played with leather helmets and you have a stadium named after a coach, though, I suspect the expectations will be much higher.

nebr expectations are a bit more under control now i believe, since we had our downturn in win/loss over the last few years. Nebr was the last program to take a few years off, since the world of espn erupted around 1990. okla, usc, nd, penn st, alabama, lsu, florida, tenn, mich, ohio st, texas ..... everyone had taken a little spiral down except nebr. The temporary downward spiral seems to adjust the expectations back down a bit,

Michigan has shown their high expectations recently when they forced out Lloyd Carr, the season after they went 11-2, I know he also lost to Appalatiation St. but he also beat Tebows heisman team too. Not a bad year, just a horrific start.

Gene Chizak at Auburn- undefeated natl champs less than 2 yr ago, now coach is out

Has any team shown less patience than Flor St, with Bobby Bowden 2 yr ago. He is personally responsible for putting that Univ on the Map

Jeff Thedford at Cal, was canned a few days ago, he became a victim of his own success. Took his team to some top ten rankings a couple years ago, but was never able to get them back there, still a yearly bowl team, but thats not good enuf, even at a school not usually considered a top flight football school.

I agree, Lloyd Carr was probably forced out a bit early. Bowden though lost just 19 games from 1987-2000, then lost 42 games from 2001-2009. Any coach at a bona fide football school will be firmly on the hot-seat averaging nearly 5 losses a season over nearly a decade.

I forget who wrote it, maybe Mandel at cnnsi.com, but he said Chizik's 2010 season is the exception to the rule. Even with the 2010 season his career conference coaching record (including his time at ISU) is 17-31, while his overall mark 38-38. He's not a very good head coach.

Last edited:

• Bama
  • Auburn
  • LSU
  • tOSU
  • Georgia
  • Michigan
  • NU
  • OU
  • aTm
  • maybe Tennessee
  • FSU maybe
  • Domers
  • Florida

I would agree with you about USC with regard to not being as "demanding." But the OP was about "expectations," and USC's expectations of 10+ game winning seasons are awfully high. When the season progresses and the expectations are not being met, USC fans definitely are different than many on your list, but I wouldn't call them fair weather. I would call them realistic.

I would agree with you about USC with regard to not being as "demanding." But the OP was about "expectations," and USC's expectations of 10+ game winning seasons are awfully high. When the season progresses and the expectations are not being met, USC fans definitely are different than many on your list, but I wouldn't call them fair weather. I would call them realistic.

I'd call them downright crazy, actually...

Epic Meltdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back