• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where will this end?

BornRed

And Proud of it!
5 Year Member

If they win this lawsuit, many teams from the past will sue as well. I would not want to be the NCAA right now. This could potentially bankrupt them.

Edit, if this is in a wrong forum, my apologies and please move.

Last edited:

Just wait until some hot shot lawyers convinces the estates/families of historical figures such as Jim Thorpe or George Jewett to sue the NCAA for being the first Black, Native American, Asian, Gay, etc., player.

You could make a case that their Name, Image, and Likeness helped pave the way for all future minority players.

That lawsuit would bury the NCAA so deep, the hole would pop out on the other side in China.

The legality of these is interesting. That article doesn’t go into it but my understanding is opening up NIL reset the statute of limitations. I could be wrong (probably am). Id like to hear from someone like East of Eden. I don’t see this as the disaster the OP sees it as. I think it’s more like a last gasp.

The legality of these is interesting. That article doesn’t go into it but my understanding is opening up NIL reset the statute of limitations. I could be wrong (probably am). Id like to hear from someone like East of Eden. I don’t see this as the disaster the OP sees it as. I think it’s more like a last gasp.

I was wondering too about the statute of limitations. As I understand it, that class action lawsuit that just got settled was limited to 4-5 years because of SOL.

Gone are the days of being satisfied with the honor of playing D1 sports and representing a specific University. I am not saying its right or wrong, but the days of playing for something much bigger than yourself are gone. People may still want that, but they also want to get paid for it. Amateurism is dead and gone.

Last edited:
Gone are the days of being satisfied with the honor of playing D1 sports and representing a specific University. I am not saying its right or wrong, but the days of playing for something much bigger than yourself are gone. People may still want that, but they also want to get paid for it. Amateurism is dead and gone.
I’m not sure. I agree that “amateur” college sports have changed. But maybe not for most of the athletes. A few anecdotes. First, the good. My daughter reports this summer as a D1 soccer player. She is excited to take college classes, represent her school, be part of the team, and develop relationships with her teammates and the coaching staff. She hasn’t mentioned NIL (or other compensation) once and seems mostly concerned about making the travel squad and contributing. Some of this is her personality, but she appreciates the opportunity and wants to compete. Period. Second, the other. I remember very well how frustrating it was to be a D1 football player years ago and be restricted by a host of “amateurism” rules that had little to do with common sense and mostly to do with keeping me beholden to my place in the program — 24/7/365. Fast forward several years, and I see D1 basketball and football players working really hard while the schools, conferences, coaches, networks, and other key payees receive ungodly sums of money. I’m happy to debate the benefits of a D1 scholarship, but the bottom line is that no one likes to have the very few make uncountable money off their backs. Whether you’re a Kentucky basketball player or Michigan football player, you are engaged with your sport (job) non-stop. In those sports, at that level, it stopped being “amateur” years ago. Those kids deal with unreal workloads, travel, demands, and stress. Much more than your average working adult, including public scrutiny and criticism at a level that would break most people. NIL and evolving issues are changing the landscape. Maybe not for the better, but certainly for the more equitable. I’m happy for my daughter. And still optimistic for the bulk of college sports. Including the amateur quality of those sports and athletes. But I’m not optimistic about basketball and football. They are different animals, and, as you say, amateurism for those sports is dead and gone.

I’m not sure. I agree that “amateur” college sports have changed. But maybe not for most of the athletes. A few anecdotes. First, the good. My daughter reports this summer as a D1 soccer player. She is excited to take college classes, represent her school, be part of the team, and develop relationships with her teammates and the coaching staff. She hasn’t mentioned NIL (or other compensation) once and seems mostly concerned about making the travel squad and contributing. Some of this is her personality, but she appreciates the opportunity and wants to compete. Period. Second, the other. I remember very well how frustrating it was to be a D1 football player years ago and be restricted by a host of “amateurism” rules that had little to do with common sense and mostly to do with keeping me beholden to my place in the program — 24/7/365. Fast forward several years, and I see D1 basketball and football players working really hard while the schools, conferences, coaches, networks, and other key payees receive ungodly sums of money. I’m happy to debate the benefits of a D1 scholarship, but the bottom line is that no one likes to have the very few make uncountable money off their backs. Whether you’re a Kentucky basketball player or Michigan football player, you are engaged with your sport (job) non-stop. In those sports, at that level, it stopped being “amateur” years ago. Those kids deal with unreal workloads, travel, demands, and stress. Much more than your average working adult, including public scrutiny and criticism at a level that would break most people. NIL and evolving issues are changing the landscape. Maybe not for the better, but certainly for the more equitable. I’m happy for my daughter. And still optimistic for the bulk of college sports. Including the amateur quality of those sports and athletes. But I’m not optimistic about basketball and football. They are different animals, and, as you say, amateurism for those sports is dead and gone.
Money is the problem. One thing that kids learn in school (and the real world), is that if someone is making money off your work, you deserve a cut of the take. At the start of college athletics, the gap between what schools, conferences, coaches, networks, and other key payees wasn't as big a deal for what the student got in a good education. But then the rules kept changing almost to the point of the student/athlete was an indenture servant, while others further up the food chain basically had free reign to do whatever (coaches getting millions, some broadcasters getting 10s of millions, and other organizations getting in the billions). I don't blame people who are doing the work getting a little more.

But the reality is, eventually they are all going to price themselves out of jobs and opportunities.

lawyers always like to twist law to their belief cuz they want to make money off it. i bet this fails. For so many years, they have had the opporturnity to file, but havent until now.

I was wondering too about the statute of limitations. As I understand it, that class action lawsuit that just got settled was limited to 4-5 years because of SOL.

I think the problem is there is still likely some provable income being made off of that teams NIL. It's pretty minimal, but it's likely still there.

To the OP's point, 'Where will this end?', how this case is handled will determine how many more we'll see in the future. If it fails, this is a dying flutter. If they win any sum of money worth chasing, this is the start of the next wave and 'Where will this end?' is an appropriate question.

So when do the games people start paying the universities properly?
When do the TV monies that never took this value into consideration just like the universities start paying as well?
There's responsibilities and then there's responsibilities.
Sure the schools could pay, but so should everyone else along the way.
We've known for a long time products werent seen in tv shows or movies or live TV unless there was reimbursement. They knew as well

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back