• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Where to start

HUSKERINWYO

Recruit
10 Year Member
I will start by saying that coaching HAS to get better but there is more to it than that, IMO. Our QBs are not the best passing QBs that is obvious but maybe they would be better if the o-line would give them a little more time and when they do have time the clock in their head is being hurried so they don’t get hit or take a sack. That makes for happy feet and that isn’t good. The QBs have zero downfield threat which makes it even more difficult for them to make a play. Our running backs need to be able to find holes and be patient but that too is encumbered by not having a downfield threat so defenses can crowd the box. Our coaches have to find a way to develop the talent they recruit and if they can’t do that it is time for new position coaches across the board on offense, receivers, line, RBs, TEs, QBs, everyone. Our head coach has to be able to see this and, hurt feelings be damned, must be willing to make changes where needed.

Defense has some players but without any form of pass rush it most often goes for nothing. QBs will always look like an NFL caliber QB when you have all day to scan the field and find the open receiver. There are some personnel. Changes need to be made in the secondary and our corners and safeties need to learn how to look for the ball and make a play on the ball. Too many time a receiver makes a catch for a big gain or TD and our defender has his back to the ball. Again, this comes down to position coaches coaching up their recruits and making them better. If this can’t be done by various coaches then it is time to sever some ties and find those that can.

For game management HCSF needs to relinquish play calling to his OC and begin to manage all aspects of the game. He needs to begin holding both his OC and DC accountable for scheme and play calling. Work to your personnel and take what other teams give you, don’t overthink this and make it harder than it is. HCSF needs to begin being honest with his players and when they screw up, whether in game or practice, just one lap won’t cut it but instead get back to running stadium stairs and bring back the player’s council. Also, when your coordinators are screwing up for extended periods with mediocre results maybe it is time for a change.

I know there is no easy fix for this team but a strict disciplinarian who excepts nothing but PERFECT EFFORT (not perfection) on every play will begin to turn things around. A happy child is a disciplined child because he knows exactly where he stands and what is expected at all times.

The offense is killing the defense. IMO the last drive for Nebraska when AM was in at QB is what we should be doing. A little slower, more methodical, deliberate offensive pace. Right now trying to go fast to stress the defense has only proven that we can't string enough plays together to stress the opposing teams defense, it only stresses our defense because they are back on the field so fast. Our offensive line needs help. As far as I'm concerned the Jurgens experiment should be over. Too many bad snaps.
What is our QB guru been doing? Now it seems like we have 2 QBs that can't throw consistently and are confused by the other teams defense.

As a somewhat disinterested "fan," I think Frost in some ways just described the problem with this program a couple minutes ago. He just talked about wishing he could do anything to be able to play one more game at Memorial Stadium (as a player.) The passion from Scott is there. The passion from the players isn't there every single day, and that's what it takes to be great as a Power 5 team. The passion was there against PSU because the game started off well. The passion wasn't there today because the game didn't get off to a good start, and therefore the confidence/passion crumbled. That's where Nebraska is as a program right now.

I don't know where the confidence/passion is in practice. I do know that it needs to be there every day, every rep for this program to be great again.

Last edited:
As a somewhat disinterested "fan," I think Frost in some ways just described the problem with this program a couple minutes ago. He just talked about wishing he could do anything to be able to play one more game at Memorial Stadium (as a player.) The passion from Scott is there. The passion from the players isn't there every single day, and that's what it takes to be great as a Power 5 team. The passion was there against PSU because the game started off well. The passion wasn't there today because the game didn't get off to a good start, and therefore the confidence/passion crumbled. That's where Nebraska is as a program right now.

I don't know where the confidence/passion is in practice. I do know that it needs to be there every day, every rep for this program to be great again.
So there must be some better plays to call in the 1st series to build the confidence of the QB and the team that what was called. About the only thing we can do consistently is an easy throw to the tight end.

I am not an x's and o's guy, so I don't see all the good things Jurgens must be doing. I only see the obvious killer mistakes. Is he better than the backup? He snaps that ball over the QBs head and then gets a holding call on 4th and goal. There never seems to be any repurcussions from big/impactful mistakes. So, either he must be really good on the other plays and I just don't notice, or we have absolutely no depth at center.

Scott said major adjustments are coming from the continuous high snaps that have plagued the team all season.
He will be utilizing a small trampoline for the QBs starting with Mondays practice

Scott said major adjustments are coming from the continuous high snaps that have plagued the team all season.
He will be utilizing a small trampoline for the QBs starting with Mondays practice

Better use one for our apparently 5’0” receivers as both QB’s tend to throw very high.

I just don’t understand how we can have 3 4* QB’s on the roster.....that our coaches recruited to play QB, and they aren’t “passing QB’s”.

Either what you say is true and our coaches can’t evaluate talent, and should be held accountable. Or they can’t develop, and they should be held accountable.

There’s no excuse for our poor play that doesn’t point at the coaches. That’s what you’re paid millions of dollars to do.

And they will wear these vertical improvement shoes around campus and in the games. :thumbsup:

strength-shoes-1.jpg

Last edited:

I just don’t understand how we can have 3 4* QB’s on the roster.....that our coaches recruited to play QB, and they aren’t “passing QB’s”.

Either what you say is true and our coaches can’t evaluate talent, and should be held accountable. Or they can’t develop, and they should be held accountable.

There’s no excuse for our poor play that doesn’t point at the coaches. That’s what you’re paid millions of dollars to do.
AM's and LM's 4* ratings were generous and based on their athleticism. It's fair to question how a QB who misses his entire Senior year and a kid who was a full-time starter at the position for only one year can be rated among the top QB's in the country. All on upside or potential, I suppose.

Hopefully Smothers is a more legit 4* and will be ready to contribute next season. Unless we get a transfer, we are going to need him.

We're still a young team which may explain some of our issues in consistency but the lackluster effort was more disappointing to me. It's OK for the fan base to buy into the 15 point spread crap, but when the players starts believing it we're in trouble. Did the 91 plays on defense last week take the snap out of their legs? If so, the short turnaround this week doesn't bode well for our defense. I said we weren't good enough to bring our B game and expect to beat anyone in the B1G. Well, that also goes for our C, D & F games. Perhaps Iowa will be looking passed us this Friday, but I doubt it.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back