• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When we say "we don't fit in the B1G", what exactly do we mean?

It was nice leaving the house on a Saturday morning around 5am, hopping in the truck, and heading to manhattan for a 2:30 kick. Be there by 9-9:30, have a six pack, and go watch some football. If you wanted to, you could even drive home that night. Colorado was the farthest trip for me, about 10-11 hours. The only team I could road trip to now, with the time allotment available, is Iowa.

It was nice leaving the house on a Saturday morning around 5am, hopping in the truck, and heading to manhattan for a 2:30 kick. Be there by 9-9:30, have a six pack, and go watch some football. If you wanted to, you could even drive home that night. Colorado was the farthest trip for me, about 10-11 hours. The only team I could road trip to now, with the time allotment available, is Iowa.

They, the Big, then can learn from us.
I know exactly what youre saying, as having lived in the south for a few years, and thankful for it.
Thinking back, it was as close to moving back to Nebraska as I'll likely get.

But again, the Big can learn from u

The SCHOOLS in the B1G are heavily liberal-leaning elitist group of schools.

The STATES (and the people in those states) of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio and even Michigan are much more similar culturally than Texas and Oklahoma. Midwestern, blue-collar, loyal, singularly devoted and hard-working people.

UNL doesn't necessarily fit with Michigan or Northwestern ... who view themselves more akin to Harvard/Stanford ... but the state of Wisconsin is heavily "Nebraska-like" in so many regards.
Would it be fair to say they fit with some of the States members are located in but not really the city's the schools are in.

Last edited:

We've been hearing some flavor of this sentiment since the day of the announcement of the move out of the Big 12 into the Big 10, but I've never understood what it means, really.

In what specific ways doesn't UNL "fit"? I mean things like "Big 10 members are X, but we are Y" or "Big 10 rules say X, but we like Y". And please don't get into the political postures of the states of B1G members, because if you do that, you have to say that either Iowa or Iowa State don't fit into whatever conference they are in, and I've never heard anyone say that. Also, the political stances in each state don't translate into blocking, tackling, throwing, and catching. And, you can't talk politics here anyway :)

So let me know what what aspects aren't a good fit, and for bonus points, explain how the Big 12 is a "better" fit in that area.

This isn't a challenge to anyone. I really want to understand.
Geography...we are the furthest most western school of the BIG making travel difficult for our fans and rivalries hard to develop. Besides that, they've been stomping us because we have been lousy for years.

Pretty obvious the huge differences in how the SEC, ACC and B12 handled Covid this past season. As a state Nebraska was closely aligned with how those other conferences went about handling the 2020 season imo. As far as how that plays out culturally I'll let other decide. Football is football for the most part but when I was living in Lincoln I could drive to most of the away games fairly easy. That's simply not the case with the Big 10. I know many don't care but it there's no question Nebraska fit perfectly with the Big 8 and fairly well with the Big 12 imo. For the most part Nebraska doesn't fit geographically very well with the Big 10 from the fans standpoint.

I actually went from a Large to size Medium. Walking at malls more becuz I am so tired of no football for DONU that I don't have time to sit down to an XL pizza and wash it down with Jack or Jill or Harvey! I have scoured the states of IN and OH and KY and I have not found a pizza that rivals VAL'S.

Last edited:
I actually went from a Large to size Medium. Walking at malls more becuz I am so tired of no football for DONU that I don't have time to sit down to an XL pizza and wash it down with Jack or Jill or Harvey! I have scoured the states of IN and OH and KY and I have not found a pizza that rivals VAL'S.
Now hold on Minsky's down in KC is pretty darn good...but Val's is the best by far

Geography...we are the furthest most western school of the BIG making travel difficult for our fans and rivalries hard to develop. Besides that, they've been stomping us because we have been lousy for years.
We would not exactly be the epicenter of the B12 either.

Our brand of football is 100% more compatible to the B1G than the pass happy no defense Big 12. The whiners won't recognize the "culture fit" they think we align with in the Big 12 started changing even as we were there when the likes of pass happy Texas teams were brought in and teams like Okie lite and even OU started going pass happy.

What is our brand of football? Duck and run?

I've traveled throughout the U.S. over my career, and in my opinion, Nebraska is more of a southern-type culture than an upper midwest/mideast culture. That doesn't mean it's in the south, but folks in Nebraska are a hell-of-a-lot near to Texas panhandle folk than yankees, and I mean no disrespect to yankees - it's just the truth.

The Big 10 is a heavily liberal-leaning, elitist group of schools. Pretty much the antithesis of blue collar Nebraska. Nebraska is seen as a bunch of country bumpkins to the rest of the conference. Heck we aren't even AUA.

Ain't a fit, nor will it ever be.
I am not 100% on board with the liberal leaning schools of the B10 argument . Most colleges have liberal views because of the professors. Austin is a very liberal city. Iowa, Wisconsin are blue collar like Nebraska. Heck even NW has a blue collar lean when it comes to how they play football. It is not liberal, moderate or conservative. Nebraska just needs to stop playing "footsie" ball and get back to being tough. I don't like the Playstation no defense ball in the B12 or PAC. When they play man teams they get a## handed to them.

I think for a period of time and maybe still to a certain extent the size of our players fit the Big XII better than the B1G. Smaller quicker lines and line backers worked better in the Big XII. B1G teams tend to be bigger and more powerful than teams in the Big XII which makes it tougher to run and tougher to stop the run if you are undersized. I think that's why you are seeing a big emphasis on players with bigger frames the last couple of recruiting cycles.

Nebraska is to the Big 10 is what Colorado was to the Big 8. Pretty much isolated from the rest of the conference.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back