• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When we say "we don't fit in the B1G", what exactly do we mean?

I'll play the other side.... Nebraska fits the Big X (X for short) just as well if not better than the Big XII (XII for short) in several areas. For starters, from a climate standpoint we are much more on par with the upper Midwest teams than we were the OU and Texas' of the world. 2nd, Volleyball. Nebraska built the blueprint for how women's volleyball can be an important, revenue sport for cold weather schools. The X is now the premier volleyball conference in the land, and if you watch the sport you know it's the most entertaining colligate sport to watch (yes, football included). Glad to have it.

Most importantly, we match with the X because we care. Just looks at football stadium sizes... the average stadium in the X is 72,495. Only two stadiums in the XII top that average. Look at coaches salaries, the average XII head coach gets $3.4 mil vs $4.9 mil in the X. In fact, of the coaches that have public data available, only Mike Locksley of Maryland made less than the average XII coach.

I understand, people like the familiar. But stop and think, did you like playing KU and ISU because they are close and we have so much in common with them, or because we always beat them? When I hear we need to "return to the Big XII" I can't help but wonder if people don't really miss being a big fish in a little pond.

The Big 10 is a heavily liberal-leaning, elitist group of schools. Pretty much the antithesis of blue collar Nebraska. Nebraska is seen as a bunch of country bumpkins to the rest of the conference. Heck we aren't even AUA.

Ain't a fit, nor will it ever be.
The SCHOOLS in the B1G are heavily liberal-leaning elitist group of schools.

The STATES (and the people in those states) of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio and even Michigan are much more similar culturally than Texas and Oklahoma. Midwestern, blue-collar, loyal, singularly devoted and hard-working people.

UNL doesn't necessarily fit with Michigan or Northwestern ... who view themselves more akin to Harvard/Stanford ... but the state of Wisconsin is heavily "Nebraska-like" in so many regards.

Last edited:
Nebraska built the blueprint for how women's volleyball can be an important, revenue sport for cold weather schools. The X is now the premier volleyball conference in the land, and if you watch the sport you know it's the most entertaining colligate sport to watch (yes, football included). Glad to have it.
The money generated from volleyball is miniscule.

NU generates roughly $4.0M in revenue from volleyball and spends roughly $4.0M (slightly less). It does make a profit but it extremely small.

It means we haven't been able to wipe our boots on most of the competition like we did in the good ol' Big 8.

If we as a program are so one-dimensional that we can't adapt to the Big Ten play after all these years and under 3 head coaches, then we don't deserve to win anywhere.

Nebraska @ Rutgers, Texas @ West Virginia. Neither are fits, for a conference member. 1500+ miles from one another. Geographically speaking, both are horrible fits. Geographically, West Virginia is a better fit for the BIG than is Nebraska. Just like Nebraska is a better fit the same way for the Big 12. Not to mention, 80+ year old rivalries gone, fans can’t even really drive to road games. But hey, they got more money, that’s all that’s important right? The hell with the fans and the history.

I'm trying to imagine West Virginia representatives in that first meeting at Big Ten HQ in Chicago. :Rolf:

I've traveled throughout the U.S. over my career, and in my opinion, Nebraska is more of a southern-type culture than an upper midwest/mideast culture. That doesn't mean it's in the south, but folks in Nebraska are a hell-of-a-lot near to Texas panhandle folk than yankees, and I mean no disrespect to yankees - it's just the truth.

The Big 10 is a heavily liberal-leaning, elitist group of schools. Pretty much the antithesis of blue collar Nebraska. Nebraska is seen as a bunch of country bumpkins to the rest of the conference. Heck we aren't even AUA.

Ain't a fit, nor will it ever be.
Your second paragraph sums up my feelings. We had been AAU for several decades, soon after we joined the BIG there was a push to kick NU out of the organization. If a couple of our BIG brothers would not have have voted to throw us out we would still be a member.
In my opinion we are caught between a rock and the hard place. I think returning to the Big 12 would be a debacle. Staying in the Ten is our best option, for the money if no other reason.

People who say it has anything to do with winning simply don’t get it. I suspect they are newer Huskers or just so preoccupied on winning and losing games that they can’t understand that there is much more to a conference than that.

But to the point, fit has nothing to do with wins and losses. It’s about tradition, geography, and culture to a degree.

Keep in mind that some Husker fans have been at this for 6 decades or more. Families made trips to Oklahoma and eventually Texas, which by the way is much more attractive as a trip in late fall if you’d rather sit in a 70 degree stadium than a 20 degree stadium. I’ve done both. I’ll take 70. But those trips were more than football. They were about friends and family. You even get to know your opponent’s fans in some places and build a connection and mutual respect as fans. Can we do that in a new conference? Sure. But that’s a big part of what people are talking about when we refer to fit.

Geography is pretty self explanatory. But keep in mind that we have a lot of people who live south of Nebraska who are either from Nebraska or grew up Nebraska fans because of the old Big Red Machine. This change of conference is a loss for them. That’s reality. It has nothing to do with the football team not currently winning games.

As for culture, to me it’s more about the leadership of the universities. Recall how the B12 handled the pandemic versus how the B1G handled it. Nebraska, OSU, and to a degree Iowa were the only universities to stand up to the other conference members and say, we’re playing football. And others are correct is stating that the B1G sees Nebraska as academically inferior. Most of the conference doesn’t respect us as a university or a state. That has nothing to do with winning or losing football games.

So, we don’t fit as well in the B1G. That said, we had to leave the B12. It is true that Texas (university not the state) is the devil and their greed and arrogance blew up the confidence. Some here say it was about money and that’s disingenuous at best. It was about stability, even survival. As sad as it is Texas ruined the League for us and 3 others. And they may still completely blow that conference up yet. There was no avoiding the departure. And there will be no return.

I'll play the other side.... Nebraska fits the Big X (X for short) just as well if not better than the Big XII (XII for short) in several areas. For starters, from a climate standpoint we are much more on par with the upper Midwest teams than we were the OU and Texas' of the world. 2nd, Volleyball. Nebraska built the blueprint for how women's volleyball can be an important, revenue sport for cold weather schools. The X is now the premier volleyball conference in the land, and if you watch the sport you know it's the most entertaining colligate sport to watch (yes, football included). Glad to have it.

Most importantly, we match with the X because we care. Just looks at football stadium sizes... the average stadium in the X is 72,495. Only two stadiums in the XII top that average. Look at coaches salaries, the average XII head coach gets $3.4 mil vs $4.9 mil in the X. In fact, of the coaches that have public data available, only Mike Locksley of Maryland made less than the average XII coach.

I understand, people like the familiar. But stop and think, did you like playing KU and ISU because they are close and we have so much in common with them, or because we always beat them? When I hear we need to "return to the Big XII" I can't help but wonder if people don't really miss being a big fish in a little pond.
Kansas = Rutgers. Right now, Iowa state is as good as anyone in the BIG not named Ohio state. Kansas state, Oklahoma state, TCU, and West Virginia can play with anyone in the BIG outside the top 2-3 teams. You have a point about the climate, but I’d argue, how many really cold games did NU really play in per year? 2-3, if that. It gets cold in Kansas, Colorado and Oklahoma. Volleyball will never be a revenue generating sport, except for a handful of teams. Add in the further travel costs, and that neutralizes things. My biggest thing is I can’t go to the games anymore by hopping in my truck and just taking off. Travel is double, for the most part. Is what it is.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back