• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When we say "we don't fit in the B1G", what exactly do we mean?

CPUHog

Recruit
2 Year Member
We've been hearing some flavor of this sentiment since the day of the announcement of the move out of the Big 12 into the Big 10, but I've never understood what it means, really.

In what specific ways doesn't UNL "fit"? I mean things like "Big 10 members are X, but we are Y" or "Big 10 rules say X, but we like Y". And please don't get into the political postures of the states of B1G members, because if you do that, you have to say that either Iowa or Iowa State don't fit into whatever conference they are in, and I've never heard anyone say that. Also, the political stances in each state don't translate into blocking, tackling, throwing, and catching. And, you can't talk politics here anyway :)

So let me know what what aspects aren't a good fit, and for bonus points, explain how the Big 12 is a "better" fit in that area.

This isn't a challenge to anyone. I really want to understand.

Most obviously I would say geographically we fit better with the Big XII, additionally we obviously have a ton of history with big XII and it's members whereas that is not true in the B1G. Even after a decade I still feel like an afterthought in the B1G, the question is, is that because we are an afterthought, or has our play relegated us to afterthought status, other than that I think all the "we don't fit" talk is overblown.

There's a little bit of the Midwest culture in Nebraska, but I think that Nebraska has much more in common with the Big 12 or even the Pac than we do with the Big 10. With that said, I don't want us to leave the Big 10. I think Oklahoma will leave the Big 12 within the next few years and that will be the end of that conference. We just need to start winning, as others have said.

Nebraska @ Rutgers, Texas @ West Virginia. Neither are fits, for a conference member. 1500+ miles from one another. Geographically speaking, both are horrible fits. Geographically, West Virginia is a better fit for the BIG than is Nebraska. Just like Nebraska is a better fit the same way for the Big 12. Not to mention, 80+ year old rivalries gone, fans can’t even really drive to road games. But hey, they got more money, that’s all that’s important right? The hell with the fans and the history.

There's a little bit of the Midwest culture in Nebraska, but I think that Nebraska has much more in common with the Big 12 or even the Pac than we do with the Big 10. With that said, I don't want us to leave the Big 10. I think Oklahoma will leave the Big 12 within the next few years and that will be the end of that conference. We just need to start winning, as others have said.

Can you give me an idea of what those "in common" things are? That's kinda the gist of my original question.

Nebraska @ Rutgers, Texas @ West Virginia. Neither are fits, for a conference member. 1500+ miles from one another. Geographically speaking, both are horrible fits. Geographically, West Virginia is a better fit for the BIG than is Nebraska. Just like Nebraska is a better fit the same way for the Big 12. Not to mention, 80+ year old rivalries gone, fans can’t even really drive to road games. But hey, they got more money, that’s all that’s important right? The hell with the fans and the history.

OK so before Rutgers and Maryland joined, you didn't have this objection?

Iowa City and Chicago are pretty easy drives from Lincoln. Not any worse than Lincoln - Austin.

Last edited:

I've traveled throughout the U.S. over my career, and in my opinion, Nebraska is more of a southern-type culture than an upper midwest/mideast culture. That doesn't mean it's in the south, but folks in Nebraska are a hell-of-a-lot near to Texas panhandle folk than yankees, and I mean no disrespect to yankees - it's just the truth.

The Big 10 is a heavily liberal-leaning, elitist group of schools. Pretty much the antithesis of blue collar Nebraska. Nebraska is seen as a bunch of country bumpkins to the rest of the conference. Heck we aren't even AUA.

Ain't a fit, nor will it ever be.

I've traveled throughout the U.S. over my career, and in my opinion, Nebraska is more of a southern-type culture than an upper midwest/mideast culture. That doesn't mean it's in the south, but folks in Nebraska are a hell-of-a-lot near to Texas panhandle folk than yankees, and I mean no disrespect to yankees - it's just the truth.

The Big 10 is a heavily liberal-leaning, elitist group of schools. Pretty much the antithesis of blue collar Nebraska. Nebraska is seen as a bunch of country bumpkins to the rest of the conference. Heck we aren't even AUA.

OK so you brought in politics when I said that shouldnt be an issue.

Do "liberal" states play football differently than "conservative" states? How does that difference affect the operations of the school, the athletic department, and the chances of success for the student-athletes?

Last edited:
OK so before Rutgers and Maryland joined, you didn't have this objection?

Iowa City and Chicago are pretty easy drives from Lincoln. Not any worse than Lincoln - Austin.
I was just using an example. You can’t even argue that Nebraska is a better fit, geographically, in the Big 12.

OK so you brought in politics when I said that shouldnt be an issue.

Do "liberal" states play football differently than "conservative" states? How does that difference affect the operations of the school, the athletic department, and the chances of success for the student-athletes?

Football is football. You asked about culture. I gave it to you. Nebraska is an ag school. Though if you look at UNL's marketing pieces, you'd think it was on the south side of Chicago. :Rolf:

1614014359700.png

Last edited:

Our brand of football is 100% more compatible to the B1G than the pass happy no defense Big 12. The whiners won't recognize the "culture fit" they think we align with in the Big 12 started changing even as we were there when the likes of pass happy Texas teams were brought in and teams like Okie lite and even OU started going pass happy.

They, the Big, then can learn from us.
I know exactly what youre saying, as having lived in the south for a few years, and thankful for it.
Thinking back, it was as close to moving back to Nebraska as I'll likely get.

But again, the Big can learn from us

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back