• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When Frost first saw the team last year

22 months into SF's tenure with the majority of players his guys and they still have a mental issue, that is 100% on SF and not MR.

C
It takes 3 to 4 years to develop an All-Conference caliber of O-lineman, and our O-line is by far our biggest weakness on offense. Deciding who to blame won't change that.

I have to say it's been like finding out Santa isn't real (jk kids, he's real) to watch idols like coach Frost and even Tom Osborne hype this team and then find out that the team actually, er, isn't there yet. Why put the pressure on the players? Especially if the hype is misguided. I don't get it.

It takes 3 to 4 years to develop an All-Conference caliber of O-lineman, and our O-line is by far our biggest weakness on offense. Deciding who to blame won't change that.

I didn't single out any position group and I know it takes time to develop an All-Conference caliber O-linemen. Never said anything contrary to that. I am talking about mental weakness left over from MR(as the post I quoted eluded to), this far in it shouldn't exist and if it does it is on this staff and nobody else. That is not blame.

C

I didn't single out any position group and I know it takes time to develop an All-Conference caliber O-linemen. Never said anything contrary to that. I am talking about mental weakness left over from MR(as the post I quoted eluded to), this far in it shouldn't exist and if it does it is on this staff and nobody else. That is not blame.

C
Honest question. Is it? Can coaches make a bunch of mentally weak individuals strong? Or do they need to bring those types of players in? Maybe it's a combo. All I know is I have played ball with people who had that mentality and it never changed. They were quitters. It was in their nature. If someone is preconditioned to lay down and get whipped, is there a timetable for how long it takes for a coach to change that (if ever) mentality?

It is an interesting topic.

Last edited:
Honest question. Is it? Can coaches make a bunch of mentally weak individuals strong? Or do they need to bring those types of players in? Maybe it's a combo. All I know is I have played ball with people who had that mentality and it never changed. They were quitters. It was in their nature. If someone is preconditioned to lay down and get whipped, is there a timetable for how long it takes for a coach to change that (if ever) mentality?

Just my opinion here. Maybe the timetable is dictated by who they have behind him on the depth chart who displays the opposite mentality?

I just hope that our staff isn't week after week trying to change that quitter mentality when they may have the answer right there on the bench.

I personally can't believe that to be the case.

Regardless of what any of us think, this is Frost and staff’s problem now. The length of time a person blames the previous staff is directly related to his/her dislike of the previous staff.

Riley did not get 1.5 season’s of “get past the Bo effect.” BP probably did get that talk after BC. For most, SF gets the “last guy” excuse, but the duration is legitimately questionable.

Which is all fine. I don’t care whose “fault” it is, I only care that the current staff is working to fix it. And I think they are.

[/QUOTE

I love the mental side of sports. My belief is that mental toughness can be honed and enhanced, but needs to be present innately. I have two kids and have preached the mental aspects in everything they do since they could communicate. Kid 1 does a nice job, but has many moments when it goes out the window. Kid 2 is a rock. Nothing phases her. They are close in age, so they're hearing the same thing. I think I have helped Kid 1. Kid 2 would probably be basically the same without me. As with many things, nature trumps nurture.

Frost and Co can preach all day, but it will only do so much good if players' disposition is to be mentally weak. I don't have an opinion either way on whether they do or not, but I do believe that turning mentally weak people into mentally strong ones is a very difficult task.

I love the mental side of sports. My belief is that mental toughness can be honed and enhanced, but needs to be present innately. I have two kids and have preached the mental aspects in everything they do since they could communicate. Kid 1 does a nice job, but has many moments when it goes out the window. Kid 2 is a rock. Nothing phases her. They are close in age, so they're hearing the same thing. I think I have helped Kid 1. Kid 2 would probably be basically the same without me. As with many things, nature trumps nurture.

Frost and Co can preach all day, but it will only do so much good if players' disposition is to be mentally weak. I don't have an opinion either way on whether they do or not, but I do believe that turning mentally weak people into mentally strong ones is a very difficult task.

Last edited:
It would be hard to believe we have an entire team of “weak quitter” types. Let’s look at our leader on offense. AM ran hard once he decided to run last year. This year he seems to try to limit the contact. He probably wouldn’t be hurt right now had he lowered his shoulder on defenders instead of meeting contact standing straight up (more likely to get rolled up on).
I believe this staff has misplayed their hand in their attempt to get the best product on the field. They’ve lost the players. The players are not following the coach’s lead, for whatever reason. Whatever they did at UCF worked, what they did in Lincoln hasn’t.
Sure there are some areas lacking in talent, but the effort isn’t there.

It would be hard to believe we have an entire team of “weak quitter” types. Let’s look at our leader on offense. AM ran hard once he decided to run last year. This year he seems to try to limit the contact. He probably wouldn’t be hurt right now had he lowered his shoulder on defenders instead of meeting contact standing straight up (more likely to get rolled up on).
I believe this staff has misplayed their hand in their attempt to get the best product on the field. They’ve lost the players. The players are not following the coach’s lead, for whatever reason. Whatever they did at UCF worked, what they did in Lincoln hasn’t.
Sure there are some areas lacking in talent, but the effort isn’t there.

True imo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back