• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When Frost first saw the team last year

I think it's safe to say that HCSF thought this year his team would be better and do better judging from his comments from his interview after the game. I think he realizes that not only aren't they playing to their ability but that he and his staff have to start back to the basics, which is disappointing to me. Could be that he and his coaches need to do a better job coaching techniques and preparation but different from how they did it at UCF. I think the team they see in practice isn't what comes out on the field? If players aren't following through with what they're taught in practice then, to me, it's a preparation and attitude problem. I agree with Frost that he has to start at getting the basics down [repetition] first before putting in plays that won't work because someone isn't do their job or following through on their assignment.
Dr. Rob had some good suggestions in his latest interview.

Some quotes from HCSF that tell me he knows where the problems are but fixing them will probably take a couple years:

"They could rely on their run game. We couldn't rely on it." "We knew what run plays they were going to run! And they ran them and it worked!" And right now we have to pick and choose what run plays and try to scheme too much instead of just winning up front and being able to rely on our run game. That needs to get fixed. Its not an easy fix but we're going to get to work and try to get at something in the run game that we can lay our hat on!"

"Zach Duvall has done a great job. I've seen some of our guys in the weight room move weight that when you move that much weight you shouldn't get pushed around!"

"Their back would run through holes at full speed but our backs sometimes would and sometime wouldn't. Their receivers would sometimes block second level blocks and our guys sometimes would and sometimes wouldn't. Their guys stayed on blocks and our guys sometimes did and sometimes didn't. At the end of the day if you can rely on a run game then you're going to put your team in good spots and everything else in your offense works. We need to have a run game without having to lean on your QB having to run all the time. We have to QBs nicked up right now because those have been some of our most productive run. I'm not used to coaching an offense like that."

"When we come back the basics [all the little things, blocking, run routes, tackle better, etc.] of what we do need to be allot better." If we aren't firing on all cylinders and if we don't win those things, then it don't matter what we call."

"We need more people that are reliable weapons on offense right now......We're waiting for more guys to step up and make some plays for a long time and it just hasn't happened yet."

"We are in a better place then we were last year at this time and I'm pleased with that part of it but we got a long way to go and allot of work to do and we're going to get to that work right away next week!"

"Practice was as clean and as crisp this week as it's been since I've been at Nebraska but that doesn't matter when you don't win the line of scrimmage. That doesn't matter when you're not getting open on the perimeter and dong those little basic things well."

"We got to give our QBs more time. We got to get open better. Doesn't matter what scheme you're in if those things aren't happening then those things won't be successful."

Last edited:
Lifelong fan... grew up watching Frazier and Berringer and never stopped
Longtime lurker... dating back at least 10 years
Finally... a subscriber.

Many opinions of Huskermax. Great source for information and some very intelligent posters. Also, many sunshine pumpers and negative Nancies. Here to offer my :Sign2cents:

The Minnesota game? For those looking at the score from last year to this year, check the stats. Last year Ozigbo, Morgan, and Martinez accounted for 716 yards. 716! Not saying they would have done the same this last weekend but maybe we missed them more than the board is considering. Add in a possible lack of confidence in the snap and a young Oline and one could understand a drop off. When the offense spends less time on the field, the defense spends more, and then these things are bound to happen.

I am confident the team is heading in the right direction. Line play impacts everything and, in my opinion, is the longest to develop during a turnaround. The skill players are here and more are coming. Strong line players and linebackers are too. Ty Robinson, Benhart, Corcoran, Hutmacher. Hannah, Henrich, Gunnerson. Yes, I am anticipating these guys will elevate our play over the next 4-5 years.

Nebraska is improving. It is just not translating the way all of us would like to see... yet. Patience is needed. Imagine if snaps were a non-issue this year. I suspect we would all see a different Adrian Martinez this season and that would also help the defensive numbers. Growing pains. Jurgens may very well turn out to be a great center, but he is learning and improving significantly. Like the rest of the team, there is a learning curve. Not making excuses. We all want it now, but it takes time to build it right.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree... it's almost as if you are trying to say Frost inherited some nice pieces when he went 4-8 and we had some decent talent on the team in 2018. 100% agree there.

My issue is, there's more than just talent that goes into it. How about coaching scheme? Defensively we looked pretty awful against Minnesota last Saturday. How about recruiting to replace your needs? Desmond Bland was recruited to help us out when we lost Tanner Farmer, didn't make it here. Greg Bell was on the team for 4 games. Dominick Watt didn't make it to campus to learn from Stanley Morgan and be our big-bodied WR.

Not replacing talent year 2 isn't a Riley issue to me, or lack of talent inherited issue to me. That's where my frustration is coming from. We have all these excuses being thrown out and a lot of them are self-inflicted from this staff. No one wants to go there tho. We just want to blame a past coach or administration.
I 100% agree with you here. Although I'm sick of the Riley bashing, there are leftover issues that are directly tied to him. But you are right, Scott has made his fair share of mistakes in recruiting, schemes, and game management. Like you said, I think his ceiling his incredibly high and he will get us there, but his overall experience and unwillingness to adapt has lengthened his learning curve in the B1G. I believe he is smart enough to make the necessary changes.

Last edited:
The Minnesota game? For those looking at the score from last year to this year, check the stats. Last year Ozigbo, Morgan, and Martinez accounted for 716 yards. 716! Not saying they would have done the same this last weekend but maybe we missed them more than the board is considering. Add in a possible lack of confidence in the snap and a young Oline and one could understand a drop off. When the offense spends less time on the field, the defense spends more, and then these things are bound to happen.

The frustrating part is we have this schism about the talent level and/or talent that's a fit for the scheme vs. the notion that we have zero talent or talent that was a fit for a different scheme and we need to wait for this staff to have several years of recruiting "their guys" to hold them accountable for what we're seeing on the field.

So let's bookmark this. If we look worse for the first 6 or so games next year I'll wait for someone to tell me which poor-fit-no-talent-Riley leftover is sorely missed and the cause of our problems.

It's College football. Players leave/graduate. You have to replace them. Lot's of teams do -- sometimes there's a dropoff but rarely off a cliff (OK, well there is Fla. St....).

The frustrating part is we have this schism about the talent level and/or talent that's a fit for the scheme vs. the notion that we have zero talent or talent that was a fit for a different scheme and we need to wait for this staff to have several years of recruiting "their guys" to hold them accountable for what we're seeing on the field.

So let's bookmark this. If we look worse for the first 6 or so games next year I'll wait for someone to tell me which poor-fit-no-talent-Riley leftover is sorely missed and the cause of our problems.

It's College football. Players leave/graduate. You have to replace them. Lot's of teams do -- sometimes there's a dropoff but rarely off a cliff (OK, well there is Fla. St....).
Very true... but most teams dont turn over almost their entire roster in a year and a half.

Oh, I'm all in on this. So much of blocking is technique. I thought we were looking for lean athletic guys that could move their feet, be aggressive with their hands, and understand leverage. What I see is a line that looks like a boring NFL-style line. There hasn't been much creativity, but maybe it's because this group isn't capable of doing the basics consistently.

I'd love to sit in on a conversation with Frost and his offensive staff.

This....imo.

Not sure why you edited your post, but see my post above. I'm just curious why the upperclass talent that i'm "kidding myself" with that destroyed Minnesota in 2018 is now a detriment to Nebraska in 2019? Too excusey for me.
I would say losing Foster and Farmer really hurt. No one to replace Morgan or Ozigbo. Whatever the reason Martinez hasn’t looked anything like last year. I do think this team lacks talent in a lot of positions. However I agree with you that it’s a lot more than just talent. For as great as the running backs are supposed to be they sure don’t look like Ozigbo. Personally I felt that we where lucky to win four games last year. I don’t understand the Alex Davis situation. I don’t know! Hell im all over the place trying to figure it out.

Reactions: Fly

Absolutely agree... it's almost as if you are trying to say Frost inherited some nice pieces when he went 4-8 and we had some decent talent on the team in 2018. 100% agree there.

My issue is, there's more than just talent that goes into it. How about coaching scheme? Defensively we looked pretty awful against Minnesota last Saturday. How about recruiting to replace your needs? Desmond Bland was recruited to help us out when we lost Tanner Farmer, didn't make it here. Greg Bell was on the team for 4 games. Dominick Watt didn't make it to campus to learn from Stanley Morgan and be our big-bodied WR.

Not replacing talent year 2 isn't a Riley issue to me, or lack of talent inherited issue to me. That's where my frustration is coming from. We have all these excuses being thrown out and a lot of them are self-inflicted from this staff. No one wants to go there tho. We just want to blame a past coach or administration.
Most of what I just read sounds like the right pieces were set but those key pieces didn't make it to campus?
I agree with that, but it's not like the coaches weren't trying, they just got screwed. Maybe to many Duck R type guys offered as opposed to big bodies guys?

Most of what I just read sounds like the right pieces were set but those key pieces didn't make it to campus?
I agree with that, but it's not like the coaches weren't trying, they just got screwed. Maybe to many Duck R type guys offered as opposed to big bodies guys?
I would never say lack of effort is an issue with this staff. But we are recruiting the small jitter bug WRs with no issue. Gotta figure out big WR and OLB for us to get going.

QB play is being underrated as an issue. I know the line has been a hot mess, but sometimes when you have a patchwork group, the QB has to make some plays and bail them out. That's exactly what AM did last year. He raised the level of play for the offense and in turn, the whole team.

I think he's been hurt all year. There is just no other logical explanation for the drop-off in performance. Even when the pocket is clean or there is 15 yards of open field for running, he's looked tentative.

I'd add that Nebraska had plenty of All-Conference lineman in the late '80s and early '90s. The offense still sputtered against Miami and FSU. It wasn't until Tommie Frazier arrived that things really started to click. He gave the whole team more confidence.

Lebowski - he may have started the year a little dinged up but I think bigger factors are:

+ the coaches asking him to do more
+ bad snaps

When watching, I think he still has the same instincts as last year but he is fighting them, making him appear tentative. You never perform at your best when second guessing yourself.

Last edited:
Those are true statements when talking about getting closer to where we want to be.
But there's no excuse for how bad we are that's on frost. There's enough talent on this team to be much better than we are

There is enough talent however most of it is beat up and injured

Those are true statements when talking about getting closer to where we want to be.
But there's no excuse for how bad we are that's on frost. There's enough talent on this team to be much better than we are
I couldn't disagree more, our o-line is garbage. You don't start a sophomore walk-on at guard if there's a lot of talent on the team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back