• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When Frost first saw the team last year

The same reason you edited yours - I had more to say.

You can hang your hat on how talented the upperclass is, I won't. I know you're a better talent evaluator than that, but like I said, you've got your agenda. I don't have one. I don't think the talent in the upperclass is good, I don't think the team's attitude is good, and I don't see the coaching staff transforming any players into studs. You know that there are "reasons" that this team is playing like it is. What are your reasons? Poor coaching and bad S&C? That's it? Our S&C has made our players worse than they were last year?
So your answer is yes. The upperclass is talented.

You love rolling out Barry, Miller, and A. Davis at LB. You think Dismuke is a game changer in the secondary. I got it. :thumbsup: There's no sense in us continuing this conversation because we're so far away from each other.
You had "more to say" but completely deleted your original post I was referring to? Anyway...

All i'm saying is the upperclass that you are downplaying beat the piss out of Minnesota last year. 14 of them started to do so in 2018. You tell me why all of a sudden in 2019 they are getting rolled 34-7. You tell me why all of a sudden they are being thought of as "bad." I'm not going to go there, but if I told you that the upperclass that destroyed Minnesota last year is all of a sudden not great and losing to Minnesota 34-7 in 2019, you tell me what happened? What is your answer?

Last edited:
You had "more to say" but completely deleted your original post? Anyway...

All i'm saying is the upperclass that you are downplaying beat the piss out of Minnesota last year. 14 of them started to do so in 2018. You tell me why all of a sudden in 2019 they are getting rolled 34-7. You tell me why all of a sudden they are being thought of as "bad." I'm not going to go there, but if I told you that the upperclass that destroyed Minnesota last year is all of a sudden not great and losing to Minnesota 34-7 in 2019, you tell me what happened? What is your answer?

The difference is that our offense is unable to run the ball consistently. We're constantly put into passing situations, which we're unable to block effectively and don't seem to have the weapons to beat opposing secondaries. There's a lack of big plays. Last year, our offense was good enough to make up for our weakness on the D side of the ball.

You had "more to say" but completely deleted your original post I was referring to? Anyway...

Did I use more words in my edited post than my original? That would be "more to say".

The difference is that our offense is unable to run the ball consistently. We're constantly put into passing situations, which we're unable to block effectively and don't seem to have the weapons to beat opposing secondaries. There's a lack of big plays. Last year, our offense was good enough to make up for our weakness on the D side of the ball.
Did I use more words in my edited post than my original? That would be "more to say".
Sounds good.

They’re top 25 according to their recruiting rating and who offered them per 247:

I refuse to sit here and act like we are so talent deprived we should expect this. That’s a loser mentality.

Baited that hook a little too juicy for you...

So now I hope you understand recruiting rankings do not matter whatsoever. 247 sports has us at 23rd in the country and we are losing to people 50 spots lower than us.

Our secondary is the strength of this team? Per who? That was the weakness by everyone who had a clue heading into this. Who said it was a strength? Lamar Jackson being a top100 recruit in the nation can have you refer to my previous paragraph.

Our secondary laying an egg had a 98% win percentage today, and coaching decisions ruined that. This is on the coaches more than the players.

Wanted to remind you what you said last year as opposed to what you said in this thread. I'm not trying to be "argumentative", but you've gone off the rails a bit on this one and I happen to thoroughly disagree. Appreciate most of your other commentary. :thumbsup:

Not sure why you edited your post, but see my post above. I'm just curious why the upperclass talent that i'm "kidding myself" with that destroyed Minnesota in 2018 is now a detriment to Nebraska in 2019? Too excusey for me.
JMO...Because the guys you lost to graduation from last year were never replaced with someone better or even on the same plain as this years replacements. And then combine that with more youth and inexperience and you get what we've seen all year. Last years team had better personnel in many areas. And with the massive turnover, you have very little in the cupboard to create competition at several key positions, which think is critical...

When there is such a large gap between our 1s and 2s that we cant even play our 2s...that's never good. Great teams have great internal competition. We dont have that. Just my 2 cents

JMO...Because the guys you lost to graduation from last year were never replaced with someone better or even on the same plain as this years replacements. And then combine that with more youth and inexperience and you get what we've seen all year. Last years team had better personnel in many areas. And with the massive turnover, you have very little in the cupboard to create competition at several key positions, which think is critical...

When there is such a large gap between our 1s and 2s that we cant even play our 2s...that's never good. Great teams have great internal competition. We dont have that. Just my 2 cents
Absolutely agree... it's almost as if you are trying to say Frost inherited some nice pieces when he went 4-8 and we had some decent talent on the team in 2018. 100% agree there.

My issue is, there's more than just talent that goes into it. How about coaching scheme? Defensively we looked pretty awful against Minnesota last Saturday. How about recruiting to replace your needs? Desmond Bland was recruited to help us out when we lost Tanner Farmer, didn't make it here. Greg Bell was on the team for 4 games. Dominick Watt didn't make it to campus to learn from Stanley Morgan and be our big-bodied WR.

Not replacing talent year 2 isn't a Riley issue to me, or lack of talent inherited issue to me. That's where my frustration is coming from. We have all these excuses being thrown out and a lot of them are self-inflicted from this staff. No one wants to go there tho. We just want to blame a past coach or administration.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree... it's almost as if you are trying to say Frost inherited some nice pieces when he went 4-8 and we had some decent talent on the team in 2018. 100% agree there.

My issue is, there's more than just talent that goes into it. How about coaching scheme? Defensively we looked pretty awful against Minnesota last Saturday. How about recruiting to replace your needs? Desmond Bland was recruited to help us out when we lost Tanner Farmer, didn't make it here. Greg Bell was on the team for 4 games. Dominick Watt didn't make it to campus to learn from Stanley Morgan and be our big-bodied WR.

Not replacing talent year 2 isn't a Riley issue to me, or lack of talent inherited issue to me. That's where my frustration is coming from. We have all these excuses being thrown out and a lot of them are self-inflicted from this staff. No one wants to go there tho. We just want to blame a past coach or administration.
I think the staff is young and very inexperienced overall. They are going to make many mistakes, some "shake your head WTH moments" and that includes in recruiting as well as prep and game day coaching.

If we want to get relevant again I think we need to be more patient than perhaps we have been in the past.

I know some programs hire a guy and boom, it works out great by year 2. We aren't that team (duh).

Frost is going to have to upgrade his staff in places and for someone as loyal as him, that skill (knowing when to cut bait) is going to take an extra minute to become sharpened. He's also going to need to learn that not every kid is built mentally like he is (AM is NOT a leader. He's just not wired to be a vocal leader and trying to make him into one is a huge mistake, IMO).

I've been on the 7 win season for this year and I think next is 8'ish (maybe 7, the schedule is tough). 2021 I think is the break out year to win the West. Then moving forward we need to be playing for the B1G title about every other year or so.

We have plenty of physical talent, but they're mental wrecks. I totally underestimated how bad Riley screwed these guys up.

I think the staff is young and very inexperienced overall. They are going to make many mistakes, some "shake your head WTH moments" and that includes in recruiting as well as prep and game day coaching.

If we want to get relevant again I think we need to be more patient than perhaps we have been in the past.

I know some programs hire a guy and boom, it works out great by year 2. We aren't that team (duh).

Frost is going to have to upgrade his staff in places and for someone as loyal as him, that skill (knowing when to cut bait) is going to take an extra minute to become sharpened. He's also going to need to learn that not every kid is built mentally like he is (AM is NOT a leader. He's just not wired to be a vocal leader and trying to make him into one is a huge mistake, IMO).

I've been on the 7 win season for this year and I think next is 8'ish (maybe 7, the schedule is tough). 2021 I think is the break out year to win the West. Then moving forward we need to be playing for the B1G title about every other year or so.
I'm right there with you. I think we were dealt some bad situations to make year 2 not great. Bland not qualifying. Apparently zero WRs wanting to step up. Tons of injuries. You can't just make all that up. We are really, really young. But not making a bowl game in 2018 then our war cry for 2019 being "we just need to make a bowl game" seems light years away from what we thought we were getting. I'll say it again, if when we fired Riley, Moos came out and said "I promise I will find us a coach that can get us to a bowl game year 2" we all would have lost our minds.

Frost as a coach reminds me of our situation at center. I think we have a super high ceiling with it but may need to take our lumps to get there. He's learning on the job with a few things. We will end up being just fine. But some of the narratives and propaganda being thrown out are really frustrating me. It's putting down all the dudes like Sam Hahn that put in a ton of work and are just getting it poo-poo'd because we want to feel better about how things are going.

I'm right there with you. I think we were dealt some bad situations to make year 2 not great. Bland not qualifying. Apparently zero WRs wanting to step up. Tons of injuries. You can't just make all that up. We are really, really young. But not making a bowl game in 2018 then our war cry for 2019 being "we just need to make a bowl game" seems light years away from what we thought we were getting. I'll say it again, if when we fired Riley, Moos came out and said "I promise I will find us a coach that can get us to a bowl game year 2" we all would have lost our minds.

Frost as a coach reminds me of our situation at center. I think we have a super high ceiling with it but may need to take our lumps to get there. He's learning on the job with a few things. We will end up being just fine. But some of the narratives and propaganda being thrown out are really frustrating me. It's putting down all the dudes like Sam Hahn that put in a ton of work and are just getting it poo-poo'd because we want to feel better about how things are going.
We're on the same page and I hope Moos and the fans buckle up for the lumps, because they're here and are going to be for a few more years. The people that wanted to run TO out for only winning 9 games and losing to OU and in bowls, are the same type of people that expect us to be winning 9/10 this year and next. Sorry folks, you need to trust your eyes and not what you're hearing from the media or even the coaches (there's a reason "coach speak" is a catch phrase).

Your analogy to Jurgens is perfect, IMO. Young, potential through the roof, but the learning curve is steep to start and we're going to screw up and miss out on "easy" calls sometimes. It's just going to happen. Be patient everyone, savor the misery so when we're killing it in the future it feels even better.

We're on the same page and I hope Moos and the fans buckle up for the lumps, because they're here and are going to be for a few more years. The people that wanted to run TO out for only winning 9 games and losing to OU and in bowls, are the same type of people that expect us to be winning 9/10 this year and next. Sorry folks, you need to trust your eyes and not what you're hearing from the media or even the coaches (there's a reason "coach speak" is a catch phrase).

Your analogy to Jurgens is perfect, IMO. Young, potential through the roof, but the learning curve is steep to start and we're going to screw up and miss out on "easy" calls sometimes. It's just going to happen. Be patient everyone, savor the misery so when we're killing it in the future it feels even better.
Agree, and that's what i'm getting at. I'm ok taking lumps, but we lost a ton of games last year where we were the better team. Happened again this year. There will be peaks and valleys and hopefully we all laugh at this in 2021 or whatever, but i'm looking at 2019 compare to 2018, and i'm not seeing a ton of progress. Heck, the most progress made is defensively and people are hating on Chinander.

Very well put and the root of my frustration with the 2019 team.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back