• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

When Frost first saw the team last year

I’m all in on Frost... any Nebraska fan has to be if they don’t want to be miserable the next 5 years. He was the right hire, no doubt about that. But there’s plenty of talent like you said. Really starting to bother me how people think this is some massive rebuild. We still have top 25 talent per the offers the guys on our team were receiving out of high school. Lastly, Frost was getting applauded for his massive and unheard of roster turnover. Not sure why it’s a different regimes fault or still a culture thing.

The upperclass that is playing or still on the roster are nowhere near Top 25 in terms of talent. You don’t win games because you have talented Freshman and Sophomores. You can certainly play young guys, but you need a strong upperclass core and that doesn’t exist IMO. Our DL is really the only spot that you could feel somewhat decent about.

He can be applauded for a massive roster turnover, but that turnover means you’re very young.

The upperclass that is playing or still on the roster are nowhere near Top 25 in terms of talent. You don’t win games because you have talented Freshman and Sophomores. You can certainly play young guys, but you need a strong upperclass core and that doesn’t exist IMO. Our DL is really the only spot that you could feel somewhat decent about.

He can be applauded for a massive roster turnover, but that turnover means you’re very young.
They’re top 25 according to their recruiting rating and who offered them per 247:

I refuse to sit here and act like we are so talent deprived we should expect this. That’s a loser mentality.

They’re top 25 according to their recruiting rating and who offered them per 247:

I refuse to sit here and act like we are so talent deprived we should expect this. That’s a loser mentality.
And not to reply to myself, but Minnesota is 46th in that and Colorado is 48th. I’m sure it’s just the culture we took over even tho Colorado is on a first year head coach and we beat Minnesota with Frost last year.

Not playing hard, disciplined football is not expected. I don’t see where I said that, but the upperclass on this team is not a Top 25 squad. Riley recruited one Top 25 class and the entire top of that class is gone.

And not to reply to myself, but Minnesota is 46th in that and Colorado is 48th. I’m sure it’s just the culture we took over even tho Colorado is on a first year head coach and we beat Minnesota with Frost last year.

They’re better than Nebraska because this team is soft. They’ve created an awesome family culture, but maybe little Billy needs an butt chewin’ rather than a hug.

Not playing hard, disciplined football is not expected. I don’t see where I said that, but the upperclass on this team is not a Top 25 squad. Riley recruited one Top 25 class and the entire top of that class is gone.
The ranking is based on the current roster for 2019. Upper, Lower, whatever class you want.

Last edited:
The ranking is based on the current roster for 2019. Upper, Lower, whatever class you want.

Not enough talent in the upper classes. It's another reason that they're struggling (it's not "the" reason, but it's one of the reasons IMO). I don't need to go through player by player to make my point as you're already well aware of this. There's some talent on the DL, our LB group is and has been atrocious. DBs seem to be showing the most improvement, but they also have the more highly rated/recruited players. It's no big surprise.

Now you’re picking up what I’m putting down. There’s really no benefit to squatting 800 pounds in football.
Exactly! We all know that the heavier the load the slower the movement is preformed. There is a point of diminished return on going ultra heavy

Love the optimism. Here’s my thing... why say we will be dangerous in 2019 then? If those seniors last year were such a big factor, why is the claim now that Frost just needs his guys to really get this thing humming? Why in many areas such as OL, QB, WR, OLB, ILB, do we look like we’ve regressed? For having over a dozen linemen “squatting over 800 pounds” we sure got destroyed in the trenches last night. Lastly, why did this former Walk-On for Minnesota do this to our former Walk-On?

As I mentioned before, maybe he thought he had enough to surprise some folks, maybe he felt the second year in the system was going to get guys producing at a better level. Maybe, just maybe he thought being a little more positive, telling the players indirectly that he had faith they were going to step it up, would get them some confidence to actually step it up.

Strength and success in football aren't synonymous, as we've all seen too many times. And again, coming off multiple seasons in which many of these players were dominated by stronger, technically better players, maybe there was there was a little mental manipulation going on.

Frankly, most coaches I know don't say things to the press to benefit or inform the press, they say to send messages to players, positions, the team in general. No offense, but what does it matter what we think, and we know its not striking fear in our opponents, it's about pumping up guys he must have felt would benefit. Unfortunately, that may have actually hurt their development, and made them believe they were better than what they needed to be. As pathetic as it may sound, they may have actually become complacent.

Not enough talent in the upper classes. It's another reason that they're struggling (it's not "the" reason, but it's one of the reasons IMO). I don't need to go through player by player to make my point as you're already well aware of this. There's some talent on the DL, our LB group is and has been atrocious. DBs seem to be showing the most improvement, but they also have the more highly rated/recruited players. It's no big surprise.
Then start the lower classes and take the lumps.

6 starters on offense upperclass,
Noa, Stoll, Spielman, Farniok, Jaimes, Wilson

10 on defense upperclass.
Davis, Davis, Daniels, Davis, Domann, Barry, Miller, Bootle, Jackson, Dismuke

Start the lower class if we are going to blame it on that. We are making excuses right now if that is the hill we are dying on. We are on year 2 where we were applauding the roster turnover, but now we are blaming upperclass talent (lack of) for us getting dusted by Minnesota after rolling them in year 1. I can't get there. That's weak.

Last edited:
Then start the lower classes and take the lumps.

6 starters on offense upperclass,
Noa, Stoll, Spielman, Farniok, Jaimes, Wilson

10 on defense upperclass.
Davis, Davis, Daniels, Davis, Domann, Barry, Miller, Bootle, Jackson, Dismuke

Start the lower class if we are going to blame it on that. We are making excuses right now if that is the hill we are dying on. We are on year 2 where we were applauding the roster turnover, but now we are blaming upperclass talent (lack of) for us getting dusted by Minnesota after rolling them in year 1. I can't get there. That's weak.

I'm sure you have your own agenda (I don't know what it is), but, if you're saying there's a lot of talent in the upperclass, then you're kidding yourself.

Last edited:

I'm sure you have your own agenda (I don't know what it is), but, if you're saying there's a lot of talent in the upperclass, then you're kidding yourself.
Not sure why you edited your post, but see my post above. I'm just curious why the upperclass talent that i'm "kidding myself" with that destroyed Minnesota in 2018 is now a detriment to Nebraska in 2019? Too excusey for me.

Not sure why you edited your post, but see my post above. I'm just curious why the upperclass talent that i'm "kidding myself" with that destroyed Minnesota in 2018 is now a detriment to Nebraska in 2019? Too excusey for me.

The same reason you edited yours - I had more to say.

You can hang your hat on how talented the upperclass is, I won't. I know you're a better talent evaluator than that, but like I said, you've got your agenda. I don't have one. I don't think the talent in the upperclass is good, I don't think the team's attitude is good, and I don't see the coaching staff transforming any players into studs. You know that there are "reasons" that this team is playing like it is. What are your reasons? Poor coaching and bad S&C? That's it? Our S&C has made our players worse than they were last year?

Last edited:

I think 14 of the 16 upperclassmen that we started in 2019 were starting or playing significant minutes when we beat Minnesota 53-28 last year. So i'll counter with a question to you.... were those guys talented last year and all of a sudden went from 53-28 talented to 7-34 not talented?

So your answer is yes. The upperclass is talented.

You love rolling out Barry, Miller, and A. Davis at LB. You think Dismuke is a game changer in the secondary. I got it. :thumbsup: There's no sense in us continuing this conversation because we're so far away from each other.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back