• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Whatever happened to Mike Riley?

With all due respect, how do you know people that share criticisms of the football program are a) in a dark place, and b) don't enjoy life?

I encourage you to take the @CrabHusker pledge and join me in doing our best to treat all posters with respect.
This. I dislike Frost so that means I’m in a dark place? Have mercy on my soul. I enjoy life to the fullest. I’d like the Huskers to just be better, that’s it. Husker football is not a passion. It’s a part of that life I enjoy. Lately or for a long time now, I wonder why I even care anymore

The Nebraska athletic department has made some truly bizarre decisions when you think about it.

- Firing Frank was pretty damn weird. Especially after he hired a good dc in 2003, which seemed to show a willingness to tinker with his staff.
- I can understand wanting to make a change from Pelini in 2014. Wisconsin was the measuring stick and they broke the NCAA rushing record on Nebraska in 2014. The 2012 big ten championship game was also fresh in everyone's minds. But hiring Riley to replace Bo is truly mystifying to me. It has to be one of the only times in NCAA football history that a 9-3 coach was replaced with a 5-7 coach.
- Extending Frosts contract in year 2 was pretty damn weird. Giving him a 5th year is also really weird.

Last edited:

People bitch and moan because they are passionate. The opposite is apathy. That’s where I am at with bball. I have season tickets and have been to 2 games this year. Getting there with football too. I still watched but did it as I worked out towards end of season.
Basketball really bums me out. I was really hoping this would be a fun year but I haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

Dumbest thing was firing solich and the second dumbest thing was firing pelini. You can make any excuse you want but record proves how dumb it was. At the end of the day I just hope the ones that wanted anyone one of those two coaches fired doesn’t push out the next guy cause he isn’t winning championships every year.

Dumbest thing was firing solich and the second dumbest thing was firing pelini. You can make any excuse you want but record proves how dumb it was. At the end of the day I just hope the ones that wanted anyone one of those two coaches fired doesn’t push out the next guy cause he isn’t winning championships every year.
The firings weren't the dumbest things. It was the hires that followed.

The firings weren't the dumbest things. It was the hires that followed.
Maybe but the first guy was fired after he revamped his staff and was on the up word swing. So getting a coach to replace him wasn’t ever going to happen or at least a decent one. The second one was a good hire other than he was green. At the very least the fans should of stood behind him until he actually had a close to losing season. There was bigger problems above him that needed fixed before firing him. At the end of the day I just hope we don’t run off a coach that actually can win games from now on. Will frost be that guy I hope so but it’s not looking good. I can’t wait for next season to see what the new offense can do. It will either be a huge year for frost or it will be the year that he is let go.

We currently celebrate coaches for being worse than ones we fired only a few years ago. This is how we maintain 3-9.
Fake news. Can you quote a poster who has "celebrated" Frost for being worse than Riley?

There are those on here who still think Frost has more upside than Riley or support Trev's decision to let him continue, but I haven't seen anyone celebrate him BECAUSE he has a worse record than Riley.

My post isn't to defend Frost, or "celebrate" him. Your first sentence is just completely false in how it is worded.

Year two of Banker (2016, his last year at Nebraska) was statistically the highest ranked defense (scoring and total) of all of our defenses since we joined the Big Ten.
We didn't play as tough of offenses in 2016 though. Massey defense ratings (which take the strength of opposing offense into account) has NU 2021 at #19 nationally, versus NU 2016 at #30.

We didn't play as tough of offenses in 2016 though. Massey defense ratings (which take the strength of opposing offense into account) has NU 2021 at #19 nationally, versus NU 2016 at #30.

Likely due to playing teams like OU and Michigan.

The Big Ten West offenses (the teams we play every season) were especially bad this season. Worst I can remember.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back