• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What would you look for in a new coach?

What would you prefer in Nebraska's next head coach

• Total voters
Certainly aren’t mutually exclusive, but people are fooling themselves if we are going to get an established person who does those things in Lincoln. They are at Duke, Michigan state, etc.

True. Maybe we can get a younger coach that does both above average that has higher-ceiling potential. Or maybe a more experienced coach who develops players very well but is an average recruiter. I guess I am deviating from the question though. If I had to pick between the attribute of outstanding developer or outstanding recruiter, I would choose the outstanding developer 10 times out of 10.

Outstanding development gives you a chance to be consistently good. An outstanding recruiter (not at a blue blood) will probably get you an occasional really good season, there will be frequent dips between seasons. Good topic, ***.

Recuiter.

What is a developer in Bball?
You can't weight train them for three years like you do o-lineman in football?
You can't make them stronger linebacker, faster d-backs, WR, or running backs.
Weight training can't make a guy taller, maybe jump a little higher but a 6'5" guy still is not going to out jump a 6'9" guy because all the good schools have training programs.

Can't run "plays" when the 6"9" can just jump over your screen and still block the shooters shot.

And a hustling 6'5" guy can defend the 6'9" for a while but in the second half the bigger guy will get the smaller guy in foul trouble and that's that.

Face it, Nebraska has never won a tournament game because save for a few years in the 1960's we have never had a lot of talent on an one team. And the best way to get the talent to win a Big Ten title, get to the Final Four, is to recruit it!

Sure coaching it on game day, and improving the players skills once they are on campus (is this "development") is helpful. But I would rather try to win the Big Ten improving and coaching a 5* than a 2 or 3* wouldn't you (said the entire history of DONU basketball)!

PS: If you want Hoiberg as your next coach, you voted recruiter as he goes and gets players , he doesn't develop them.

I've seen some pretty good explanations of looking for a recruiter or developer, but this isn't one of them.

Weight training isn't that important? Seriously? Did you ever watch the Bob Huggins teams at the University of Cincinnati? He has been a huge advocate of weight training, going so far as to print the player's bench press max in the programs. I'd say he's done a pretty fair job over the years. Remember a kid named Ubel who played for the Huskers? How about Reid? Chubick? All these guys looked dramatically different after a couple of years of S&C, and it helped them become great contributors to the program.

So you can't run plays because a guy can just jump over a screen? First, I need to see this guy, because I don't recall seeing a conference full of 'screen jumpers' prior to the popularity of the free flow offense. Second, I want to have about 30 minutes of time to show this screener who allows the 'screen jumper' access, exactly how to set a solid screen/pick. You have some interesting ideas about spacing.

Yes, you do need people who are at least close in size, and you are correct, mismatches can be problematic, but that goes both ways. How would you feel about Jordy having to cover some of those 6'9" guys who can face up on the wing or at the top of the key? Any thoughts as to how much foul trouble he'd be getting into? You always exploit what your strengths are, you just try to reduce the gap in what your weaknesses are.

There are only a handful of teams that consistently recruit well enough to spend most of their time in the upper echelon of college basketball, and they all have massive amounts of history behind their programs. Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona are probably the best at it, at least over the last 30 years. Even schools like Louisville, Georgetown, St. John's, UCLA, Syracuse, UNLV, Michigan, teams that were once the 'sexy' program to play for have all struggled to recruit at that extremely high level. With few exceptions, recruiting is an inexact science. Even when teams are successful at recruiting, there is no guarantee of success on the court unless they develop that talent into a cohesive team.

Personally, I think developing a formula, an identity that a program can maintain, a coach can recruit to, and players don't need to be 'blue chips' to be successful in. When you build something like this, and you get that occasional great recruit, you are ready to make a run at something more. I'd prefer being in the top third of the conference year in and year out, making the tourney more often than not, and if we catch some magic, we actually make some noise in March. I understand the notion of 'glamour' in recruiting a Fab Five, but in reality, who here wouldn't take Wiscy's results since 2000?

Last edited:
Disagree with that assessment vehemently. Hoiberg did both...very well. He wasnt scared to take transfers and make them better, but he had guys like Ejim and Niang as well. I can’t remember if it was Monte Morris or which guard it was, but Hoiberg had a big impact on his shooting in particular, and it was Fred directly coaching him on technique. He’s a technician and great at in-game decisions, especially out of bounds plays...many of which I believe came straight from Johnny Orr’s playbook.

More here...

https://cyclones.com/coaches.aspx?rc=700

I didn't say Fred couldn't develop, but even your link points out that the majority of Fred's players were those he RECRUITED to his program. Plus his unique ability to bring in transfers to fill needs, led him to be consistently successful at a level never seen at DONU.

If DONU wants to reach for the stars, you have to get stars to do that, development alone won't be enough. We have never won a NCAA tournament game, haven't we proven that not recruiting stars doesn't work by now? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some pretty good explanations of looking for a recruiter or developer, but this isn't one of them.

Weight training isn't that important? Seriously? Did you ever watch the Bob Huggins teams at the University of Cincinnati? He has been a huge advocate of weight training, going so far as to print the player's bench press max in the programs. I'd say he's done a pretty fair job over the years. Remember a kid named Ubel who played for the Huskers? How about Reid? Chubick? All these guys looked dramatically different after a couple of years of S&C, and it helped them become great contributors to the program.

So you can't run plays because a guy can just jump over a screen? First, I need to see this guy, because I don't recall seeing a conference full of 'screen jumpers' prior to the popularity of the free flow offense. Second, I want to have about 30 minutes of time to show this screener who allows the 'screen jumper' access, exactly how to set a solid screen/pick. You have some interesting ideas about spacing.

Yes, you do need people who are at least close in size, and you are correct, mismatches can be problematic, but that goes both ways. How would you feel about Jordy having to cover some of those 6'9" guys who can face up on the wing or at the top of the key? Any thoughts as to how much foul trouble he'd be getting into? You always exploit what your strengths are, you just try to reduce the gap in what your weaknesses are.

There are only a handful of teams that consistently recruit well enough to spend most of their time in the upper echelon of college basketball, and they all have massive amounts of history behind their programs. Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Arizona are probably the best at it, at least over the last 30 years. Even schools like Louisville, Georgetown, St. John's, UCLA, Syracuse, UNLV, Michigan, teams that were once the 'sexy' program to play for have all struggled to recruit at that extremely high level. With few exceptions, recruiting is an inexact science. Even when teams are successful at recruiting, there is no guarantee of success on the court unless they develop that talent into a cohesive team.

Personally, I think developing a formula, an identity that a program can maintain, a coach can recruit to, and players don't need to be 'blue chips' to be successful in. When you build something like this, and you get that occasional great recruit, you are ready to make a run at something more. I'd prefer being in the top third of the conference year in and year out, making the tourney more often than not, and if we catch some magic, we actually make some noise in March. I understand the notion of 'glamour' in recruiting a Fab Five, but in reality, who here wouldn't take Wiscy's results since 2000?
Well stated about developing players. :Clap: In fact, I can't wait to see what Brady Heiman looks like after a couple of years of strength and conditioning and to see how his game develops. Your last paragraph nails it about why I chose a coach who is a developer. And I absolutely believe that "being in the top third of the conference year in and year out, making the tourney more often than not, and if we catch some magic, we actually make some noise in March" can be done at Nebraska.

Well stated about developing players. :Clap: In fact, I can't wait to see what Brady Heiman looks like after a couple of years of strength and conditioning and to see how his game develops. Your last paragraph nails it about why I chose a coach who is a developer. And I absolutely believe that "being in the top third of the conference year in and year out, making the tourney more often than not, and if we catch some magic, we actually make some noise in March" can be done at Nebraska.
And I don’t know how you feel about it, but I wouldn’t hope to see bulk on Brady, just increased strength. He’s not a 5 from a banging standpoint, he’s a really nice finesse player. Heck, I’d have him working on a little more of a face up game, even some looks at shooting 3s, because he could be a real matchup problem in the future. He’s got nice footwork and inside moves, so he could be a good threat from inside and out with a little work.

Last edited:
And I don’t know how you feel about it, but I wouldn’t hope to see bulk on Brady, just increased strength. He’s not a 5 from a banging standpoint, he’s a really nice finesse player. Heck, I’d have him working on a little more of a face up game, even some looks at shooting 3s, because he could be a real matchup problem in the future. He’s got nice footwork and inside moves, so he could be a good threat from inside and out with a little work.
Totally agree. I want to see what he looks like on the floor after he gets stronger; he'll definitely look more defined and less like a good wind can knock him down. In addition to his footwork, I like his hands and has knack for the ball. I can't remember which game it was, but the night he scored 8 really showed that he can be that threat from inside and out.

Totally agree. I want to see what he looks like on the floor after he gets stronger; he'll definitely look more defined and less like a good wind can knock him down. In addition to his footwork, I like his hands and has knack for the ball. I can't remember which game it was, but the night he scored 8 really showed that he can be that threat from inside and out.
He’s made some baseline moves that looked great, looking like he’s laying up on one side, then sliding under for a reverse layup. He’s got some smooth in that game.

Last edited:
He’s made some baseline moves that looked great, looking like he’s laying up on one side, then sliding under for a reverse layup. He’s got some smooth in that game.
That's why I would have found him some more minutes prior to Copeland going out.

Brady's already got a 3 point shot, watch him warm up some time. He needs to improve his ball-handling a little, and it would be great if he could develop a 15 foot jumper. That's the part of Copeland's game that makes him so tough is he can hit the in-between range jumpers. It will be nice when Brady gets some shoulders on him.

If you want to talk about S&C development, Tanner Borchardt has lost enough weight to be formidable - light enough to jump and ran and still strong enough to shove just about anyone out of the paint with one hand. Jacobson and McVeigh are other guys who put on good weight to be able to play in the Big Ten.
That's why I would have found him some more minutes prior to Copeland going out.
Another Miles frustration: he always said in his post-game radio show that he has to Heiman more minutes prior to Copeland's injury. ARRRGGGHH!

I want a coach that can recruit basketball players. Guys that are fundamentally sound, gym rats that can shoot the basketball. Guys that have a passion for the game that will dive on the floor for every loose ball, that set great screens, and play hard nosed team defense.

I am tired of having guys that look great. That have all the length and can jump and touch the top of the backboard but cant hit a 10 foot jumper or box out and get a rebound.

There are lot of teams that win a lot of games with this type of player. If they are great athletes and can do these things then all the better.

Last edited:
I want a coach that can recruit basketball players. Guys that are fundamentally sound, gym rats that can shoot the basketball. Guys that have a passion for the game that will dive on the floor for every loose ball, that set great screens, and play hard nosed team defense.

I am tired of having guys that look great. That have all the length and can jump and touch the top of the backboard but cant hit a 10 foot jumper or box out and get a rebound.

There are lot of teams that win a lot of games with this type of player. If they are great athletes and can do these things then all the better.
See, I like what you said, but I think Copeland and Roby could both be really good rebounders if that' was what was important for them in drills. When I watch the warmups, there are drills for the point guards, drills for the swing guys and post drills. There's even a part of the warmups where the post guys sit and watch. The post guys consist of Heiman and Borchardt. Copeland and Roby run some of the post drills, but they also run the swing drills.

So, recruit both long tall athletic guys AND Cory Cochrane /Jake Muhleisen gym rats. Prioritize defense and rebounding and 3pt shooting and free throws and ball movement and... ;)

I don't know, I'm not a coach. I just want to see UNL have a good team 2-3 years in a row and get on a roll. If Miles does it, great (he better get to work). If not, well, thanks TIm, you've helped build something here and I'm sure you'll succeed in your future endeavors.

Last edited:

I am going to go out on a limb with my thoughts here. At least for me. We need a splash hire. Something that legitimizes the program. Mid major developer gonna struggle as wont have the horses to compete on a nightly basis in B1G. Straight up recruiters are too slimy. We have the facilities and fan support to be good. 20 game home win streaks are rare everywhere. I think the splash hire will recruit well enough to get some traction.

I am on board with Hoiberg or the Lue experiment. Hoiberg a home run and I doubt we get him. Lue would be a splash and what have we to lose? Another disappointing NIT run?

I am going to go out on a limb with my thoughts here. At least for me. We need a splash hire. Something that legitimizes the program. Mid major developer gonna struggle as wont have the horses to compete on a nightly basis in B1G. Straight up recruiters are too slimy. We have the facilities and fan support to be good. 20 game home win streaks are rare everywhere. I think the splash hire will recruit well enough to get some traction.

I am on board with Hoiberg or the Lue experiment. Hoiberg a home run and I doubt we get him. Lue would be a splash and what have we to lose? Another disappointing NIT run?

Howland?

I might be able to be talked into that. Splash needs to have some NBA name recognition in my mind. My narrow, limited experience says that really the NBA is all that matters to the kids these days outside of a few top programs. It is all they pay attention to and really don’t care much about college ball.

GET TICKETS

Back