• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What was your dream car in high school that you couldn't afford?

Didn’t really have a dream car in high school. Right now I would take a 69 Camaro convertible or a 67’ stingray

cutless.jpg

I wanted a Chevelle, but had an older guy in the neighborhood who bought one of these new and it sat in his garage maybe 360 days a year. He said he'd sell it to me, but I didn't have the $10k he wanted. The car was actually worth more. Even when I was in high school. '68 RS/SS, 4 spd, 302, convertible. Beautiful car.

fl0117-268999_12.jpg

I wanted a Chevelle, but had an older guy in the neighborhood who bought one of these new and it sat in his garage maybe 360 days a year. He said he'd sell it to me, but I didn't have the $10k he wanted. The car was actually worth more. Even when I was in high school. '68 RS/SS, 4 spd, 302, convertible. Beautiful car.

View attachment 44232

Not a big Chevy muscle guy but 2nd gen Chevelle’s are iconic and beautiful cars. I’m guessing it was probably a 307 though. Typically Chevy put the 302 in Camaro’s. Only 1/8” bore difference but the 307 had the 327 crank. It’s my least favorite Chevy small block because of the small valves, bore-to-stroke ratio, and poor displacement. Regardless, beautiful, beautiful car. Wish we all had the money to buy that type of car when we were younger.

Not a big Chevy muscle guy but 2nd gen Chevelle’s are iconic and beautiful cars. I’m guessing it was probably a 307 though. Typically Chevy put the 302 in Camaro’s. Only 1/8” bore difference but the 307 had the 327 crank. It’s my least favorite Chevy small block because of the small valves, bore-to-stroke ratio, and poor displacement. Regardless, beautiful, beautiful car. Wish we all had the money to buy that type of car when we were younger.

It was a Camaro with a 302. I wanted a Chevelle, but the neighbor had a Camaro he wanted to much money for.

Agree on the 307. It was a piece of shite.

Now the Chevelle I wanted......396.

It was a Camaro with a 302. I wanted a Chevelle, but the neighbor had a Camaro he wanted to much money for.

Agree on the 307. It was a piece of shite.

Now the Chevelle I wanted......396.

Huge fan a 396 as I think 454s are overrated.

Huge fan a 396 as I think 454s are overrated.

I guess it depends on what you're trying to do with it. Stock engines, I would agree. I'd still take a 427 or 454 over a 396 if it's something I'm going to build. The longer stroke on the 454 gets a bad rap.

View attachment 44232
My neighbor had a red RS Hardtop with a black vinyl roof. Beautiful car. The two oldest were in my class, and I was friends with them when they first moved in. We spent a lot of time looking at it and under the hood. They went way bad in late middle school and so by the time they were old enough their old man wouldn't let them touch it. Heck, one of them wasn't even living at home in HS.

Last edited:

like NUinID didn't have a dream car in high school. Got to drive what Dad had. and was greatful. only lived two blocks from school. didn't need one, money was saved for college, and new sports shoes. Now, if money wasn't an object, a 1968 Shelby GT 500 KR convertable, Husker red with black interior. Problem is I wouldn't want to drive it. for a driver, a late 60's Mustang convertable with a bigger than a 289 engine with the same color scheme. Cool to take to UN home games and drive the high school homecoming royalty on a spin through town. (same colors basically as UN).

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back