• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What was your dream car in high school that you couldn't afford?

By the way, I am a Ford man. you can have all the Firechickens you want, and Cameros (the car is like a nose, everyone has one) you want but very few had a Shelby GT 350 or even more 500.

like NUinID didn't have a dream car in high school. Got to drive what Dad had. and was greatful. only lived two blocks from school. didn't need one, money was saved for college, and new sports shoes. Now, if money wasn't an object, a 1968 Shelby GT 500 KR convertable, Husker red with black interior. Problem is I wouldn't want to drive it. for a driver, a late 60's Mustang convertable with a bigger than a 289 engine with the same color scheme. Cool to take to UN home games and drive the high school homecoming royalty on a spin through town. (same colors basically as UN).

This my current Husker Red example. :Cheers:

1593639917595.png

Started HS with a 61 chevy wagon (door locks would freeze and on cold winter days and doors would swing open on a turn), then a 64 plymouth savoy (slant 6, 3 on a tree of course), tired so got a job and bought 66 impala white 2 door, put slotted cragar chormes and 4 Parnelli Jones tires on it, but wished I could have had this.

Attachments

• hurst.jpg
    hurst.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 117
I wanted a Chevelle, but had an older guy in the neighborhood who bought one of these new and it sat in his garage maybe 360 days a year. He said he'd sell it to me, but I didn't have the $10k he wanted. The car was actually worth more. Even when I was in high school. '68 RS/SS, 4 spd, 302, convertible. Beautiful car.

View attachment 44232

There is no such thing as an RS/SS with a 302. 350/396, yes. 302 was exclusively for the Z28 for 67/68/69 and switched to the 350 with Gen 2.

Last edited:

I wanted my buddy's dad's car or a 67 Camaro.
My buddy's dad's car was a 67 Chevelle. I'm pretty sure it was a true SS , but they dropped a 427 into it.
It had Centerline Autodrags on it, though.
13908694-1967-chevrolet-chevelle-ss-std.jpg

It may not have been the original factory engine, but it was a 302.

That makes your story that much sadder. That motor is pretty rare. Well, they would have made their own, I guess. I think it is a 327 with the rotating assembly of the 283.
Outstanding choice on RS/SS, though. I'd still love one.

Last edited:
Right after we had our 1st kid, one exactly like this popped up for sale. I saw it at the end of the driveway with the sign while returning home from getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I tried talking to the guy with blood seeping through my mouth and numbed mouth. It was a 68 Firebird 400/TH400 with the deluxe interior.
The guy's father had passed and it was his dad's baby. I was second in line to a 16 year old kid whose mom was buying it for him and had a few days show up with the cash. He was sure she was going to buy it, so I sorta wrote it off.
I went to check to see if it was still around a little while later and went to the door to talk to the guy just to talk about the car to see if I could convince the lady to sell it. Awful, I know.
What's sad is the kid hit a telephone pole with it (kid was ok) and she wanted to sell it. But it was basically totaled.
It still kills me to think about it. Awhile later I found a 70 Chevelle SS 454 but the owners were giving it to their kids. It was an LS5, vs the mighty LS6, but it had a bench seat and column shift special ordered.

Later, I found a 1970 Camaro SS L78 396. I helped a guy on a car forum buy it...hooked him up with location, got the seller's number, etc. The dude flew in from somewhere and got it. I couldn't afford it.
*Sighs*
1968-pontiac-firebird-400.jpeg

Right after we had our 1st kid, one exactly like this popped up for sale. I saw it at the end of the driveway with the sign while returning home from getting my wisdom teeth pulled. I tried talking to the guy with blood seeping through my mouth and numbed mouth. It was a 68 Firebird 400/TH400 with the deluxe interior.
The guy's father had passed and it was his dad's baby. I was second in line to a 16 year old kid whose mom was buying it for him and had a few days show up with the cash. He was sure she was going to buy it, so I sorta wrote it off.
I went to check to see if it was still around a little while later and went to the door to talk to the guy just to talk about the car to see if I could convince the lady to sell it. Awful, I know.
What's sad is the kid hit a telephone pole with it (kid was ok) and she wanted to sell it. But it was basically totaled.
It still kills me to think about it. Awhile later I found a 70 Chevelle SS 454 but the owners were giving it to their kids. It was an LS5, vs the mighty LS6, but it had a bench seat and column shift special ordered.

Later, I found a 1970 Camaro SS L78 396. I helped a guy on a car forum buy it...hooked him up with location, got the seller's number, etc. The dude flew in from somewhere and got it. I couldn't afford it.
*Sighs*View attachment 48584
Love the old GM cars of late 60's early 70"s (my era). I joined army owning before mentioned 66 impala, was ok but didn't like a certain NW Iowa ditch. My dad had free reign of my bank account and car titles and came home on leave next time owning this similar looking car 71/2 challenger stock 318.
1596994162540.png

came home on leave and loved the ride (except I had to throw a fuel pump in it). Excited about having that car when I discharged only to find this in the drive way (65 Galaxy with 352) he had a vinyl top installed

1596994351920.png

Sorry Ford guys, couldn't handle it ended up literally going up in flames and ended up buying this to get through colleg(70 civic 4 spd, still had points/condenser, am radio only and no ac (college was in florida).. Mine was silver.
Thanks to all of you for sharing stories and photos and dreams.
Yes money kept me from many cars...and still does :)
1596994592849.png

Love the old GM cars of late 60's early 70"s (my era). I joined army owning before mentioned 66 impala, was ok but didn't like a certain NW Iowa ditch. My dad had free reign of my bank account and car titles and came home on leave next time owning this similar looking car 71/2 challenger stock 318.
View attachment 48605

came home on leave and loved the ride (except I had to throw a fuel pump in it). Excited about having that car when I discharged only to find this in the drive way (65 Galaxy with 352) he had a vinyl top installed

View attachment 48607
Sorry Ford guys, couldn't handle it ended up literally going up in flames and ended up buying this to get through colleg(70 civic 4 spd, still had points/condenser, am radio only and no ac (college was in florida).. Mine was silver.
Thanks to all of you for sharing stories and photos and dreams.
Yes money kept me from many cars...and still does :)
View attachment 48608
Those cars are pretty cool!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back