• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What was the first OU/Nebraska game you attended

1972 heartbreaker in Lincoln. Got in free because I volunteered to cook popcorn for three hours before the game. Watched as much as I could through the old chainlink fence under the stands in the north end zone. I still hate popcorn to this day.

Last edited:

Didn't Johnny Rodgers have a long td reception called back because he stepped out of bounds before the catch?
Yes, he did. Was he arguably forced out? I didn't have a view of it and wouldn't have understood the rule at the time (that was the first time I had heard of it). There was a video clip of the play I saw a year or two ago, but don't remember how close of a play it was.

Yes, he did. Was he arguably forced out? I didn't have a view of it and wouldn't have understood the rule at the time (that was the first time I had heard of it). There was a video clip of the play I saw a year or two ago, but don't remember how close of a play it was.
As I recall, a linebacker/safety got a good shove as he came off the line of scrimmage, forcing him out. Barely slowed him down. Humm hit him with a perfect pass, and he did the rest.
As a 13 year old, that was my introduction to that unfair rule.

Last edited:
For sure 1970. I recall watching right in front of me (from the west sideline) Jim Anderson pick off the pass on the last play. I recalled him throwing the ball into the east stands. Looking at the replay, it looks like he got the pick off a bounce off of one of the players (OU receiver was covered by two Huskers).

In hindsight, umm... he should not have run it out of the end zone and he was a little too close to the sidelines to make that underhanded throw. I think he was out of bounds then, but he looked like he was in bounds when he lowered the ball. Until he was down, the ball was live; however, the defense could not advance a fumble back then, but if a defender (returning an interception) fumbled, could the offense have advanced the ball?

I started going to some games in 1967, but I have no real recollections of the OU game. I think I sort of remember it, but it may have been OSU, and I am a little skeptical that I would have gone to a Thanksgiving game that year. Since 1968 & 1969 were both in Norman, and I recall 1970, I have to go with it.

Last edited:

Didn't attend until 2001
Saw lots of games in memorial stadium since 1978
But the OU game was always wake up late and get the left over turkey ready for the game!

I saw a number in the late 40s and 50s, but the one I remember in that period is the game in which the Huskers broke Bud Wilkinson's 74 game conference winning streak in 1959. What I remember most vividly about that game were two things: 1) Pat Fischers 70 yard punt return (yes, there was a time when we could return punts) and 2) the celebration after the game. The crowd went nuts.

I think that was the year that ND ended OU's winning streak against everyone.

Here's the punt return https://www.huskermax.com/games/1959/oklahoma59audio.html

Last edited:

2009. The night that Suh and a raucous Memorial Stadium crowd caused the Oklahoma kicker fits. Great game. Stadium was electric.
that was mine too, both offenses really struggled and both defenses were outstanding. Loudest game I have ever been to.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back