• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Trev Alberts had to say about Frost and staff a year ago

That's a very insightful (and timely) excerpt.

I really am liking the the hire of TA the more I get to see/hear his perspective on things.

Obviously time will tell... to the point made in this excerpt. Hopefully we'll see stability and sustained improvement that leads to noticeable outcomes (better discipline and play, more wins).

Last edited:
From an interview a year ago done by Ryan Tweedy for the Big Red Cobcast.

Link
That’s where I’m at. There’s value in allowing a head coach and staff the develop and get better. And the staff changes that were made have been upgrades imo. I still need to see progress. But our patience may bear fruit. The game of revolving head coaches hasn’t worked at Nebraska, nor has it worked well at most programs.

Everyone needs to see progress especially the staff and our players. It's difficult to recruit top talent to any program that's consistently losing. Why would a 5 star player go to any program that struggles to have a winning record and make bowl games? Simple answer is with few exceptions they don't go to those type of programs. I still believe this is a watershed season for HCSF and our program. Another losing season is going to be a very hard sell to our fans and the people in charge imo.

Last edited:
I think I said it in different Trev Alberts thread. Not saying this to be negative or positive, but the hire of TA tells me where administration is at with Scott. Trev is a good hire, but not the guy you bring in if the plan is to fire Scott.

I think I said it in different Trev Alberts thread. Not saying this to be negative or positive, but the hire of TA tells me where administration is at with Scott. Trev is a good hire, but not the guy you bring in if the plan is to fire Scott.
Why do you say that? From my perspective, Trev has the stones to do whatever he deems necessary. He did not show lack of fortitude in his first 2 years at UNO, that's for sure.

I think it's the opposite. There may not be plans to fire Frost, but a new AD that has a history of making very tough choices will have no issues making the decision to fire Frost IMO.

I think it's the opposite. There may not be plans to fire Frost, but a new AD that has a history of making very tough choices will have no issues making the decision to fire Frost IMO.

If that was a main driver in the hire (not saying it was), why wouldn't they get an outsider with no ties to Husker football? I personally don't think Frost's status changed either way, but Trev being an ex-player from that era may make him less willing to pull the trigger.

Agree but I also think he has the cajones to make a change if he deems necessary.

I also believe/hope that he will be thoughtful and deliberate throughout the process.

Why do you say that? From my perspective, Trev has the stones to do whatever he deems necessary. He did not show lack of fortitude in his first 2 years at UNO, that's for sure.
It’s not the act of making the decision that I struggle with as it pertains to TA. I think it’s clear he has no problem making tough decisions. It’s the fact that he has no experience on a national level recruiting Power 5 CFB head coaches. I understand everyone can learn those things with time. But again, for the immediate future (the next 1 to probably 3 years), tells me they aren’t looking to fire Scott right away as many on this board (including myself) have speculated on.

TA will not fire a fellow Husker and Native son after his first year, that much I know. Smart thing on the Administratrive side because they can use the “TA is new and gaining trust with the coaches” excuse for a minimum of 2 years.

If that was a main driver in the hire (not saying it was), why wouldn't they get an outsider with no ties to Husker football? I personally don't think Frost's status changed either way, but Trev being an ex-player from that era may make him less willing to pull the trigger.
Bingo.

In other words, for anyone who was on the bandwagon of “if Scott doesn’t win 6 games this year he’s gone”, IMPO that is no longer a thing. Scott will be here for a minimum of two more years. Just my thoughts.

It’s not the act of making the decision that I struggle with as it pertains to TA. I think it’s clear he has no problem making tough decisions. It’s the fact that he has no experience on a national level recruiting Power 5 CFB head coaches. I understand everyone can learn those things with time. But again, for the immediate future (the next 1 to probably 3 years), tells me they aren’t looking to fire Scott right away as many on this board (including myself) have speculated on.

TA will not fire a fellow Husker and Native son after his first year, that much I know. Smart thing on the Administratrive side because they can use the “TA is new and gaining trust with the coaches” excuse for a minimum of 2 years.
Actually, folks are overthinking it. If it needs done, Trev can and will do it. If its just football, he'll give Frost a chance to get it done if progress is being showed. If its off the field stuff, there has or will be an intervention, and Trev will do whatever he deems the right thing to be. I don't think they're "looking to fire Scott", and would prefer they don't have to. But I wouldn't read too much into the Trev hire to any decisions having already been made.

Actually, folks are overthinking it. If it needs done, Trev can and will do it. If its just football, he'll give Frost a chance to get it done if progress is being showed. If its off the field stuff, there has or will be an intervention, and Trev will do whatever he deems the right thing to be. I don't think they're "looking to fire Scott", and would prefer they don't have to. But I wouldn't read too much into the Trev hire to any decisions having already been made.
Appreciate the thoughts.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back