• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Trev Alberts did on Sunday.

I don't think he had "awkward, difficult conversations" with anyone and I don't think he came into this job busting out standards and expectations at all. In fact, the article more or less speaks to his style and it's nothing like you describe here.

You are definitely correct in the 2nd half of your post, but the first part is way off the mark.
Why wouldn't he set expectations? That seems very odd for a good leader to have not done.

I have to be honest with you all, as excited as I was about the Scott Frost hire, I'm actually more excited about the Trev Alberts hire. Now... having the luxury of hindsight it appears that under Moos, the Athletic Department had various opportunities for improvement of their own. And these opportunities could have had a more positive impact on HCSF's role/responsibilities.

So while I still feel that HCSF is learning on the job, I just feel that his one-up leader is a much better "fit" for him AND for the entire Athletic Department.

Time will tell... but I believe we have the right AD and HC in place now.

Last edited:
square peg/round hole situations like Eichorst and his energy vampires.
FADSE had the resume, he had the endorsements (Barry Alvarez) and looked good on paper but what he didn't have was extensive experience as a P5 AD. He was at Miami FL for 1+ year not enough to know what kind of leader he is.

The big difference to me comparing ADTA to FADSE ... is the kind of person they are ... I could never envision FADSE walking through the locker room and talking to each of the assistants ... to encourage and support them. And yes, we knew that about ADTA because of his time at NU and at UNO.

As a side note ... to all the people who are Barry Alvarez apologists ... if this isn't the biggest example of his negative effect on Nebraska football - I do not know what you are lookin at!

Why wouldn't he set expectations? That seems very odd for a good leader to have not done.
It may seem odd in your version of what a good leader is. Trev does not operate in a leadership model that most think he does or should. It's part of what makes him so effective. People will understand the more they watch his career at UNL take shape.

It may seem odd in your version of what a good leader is. Trev does not operate in a leadership model that most think he does or should. It's part of what makes him so effective. People will understand the more they watch his career at UNL take shape.
I do not understand what you are saying ... what leadership model does he operate in?

I do not necessarily believe that you need ADs and Coaches who've been at the university previously in another role (player, assistant ...). Nebraska football is not THAT unique that it requires inhouse knowledge in order to do these jobs. Having that kind of familiarity doesn't hurt but it is not a requirement to be successful.

What Trev Alberts did was great leadership ... his mentors throughout his life help create that kind of person and leader he's become. You don't need to be a former UNL player to have those skills and values. Bill Moos was a darn good AD ... he wasn't a former NU player. Bill Byrne was as well. Nick Saban is a Kent State graduate.
He would be even more successful there!!

I can't think of a good leader ever that hasn't set expectations. I can't even imagine how it's possible to lead and not have set expectations.

It's not a requirement by any means.

But it also means that employee doesn't need much of an acclimation period to the university. They already "get" the corporate culture, so so speak, and you don't worry about square peg/round hole situations like Eichorst and his energy vampires.
That still makes me chuckle. Anyone who can't correctly pronounce program shouldn't be leading one. :nod:

You just don't think he's done that yet?
I did not say that either. I said that he didn't enter the job busting out expectations and standards. He may by now and I suspect he probably has to some degree. But they aren't expectations of a certain number of wins vs losses. Read the article. He actually states this in the article. His expectations are that of growth and maturity.

Quite some time ago, I talked about the leadership style of Trev in another thread. His style is more in the shape of how Tom Osborne led. He's a builder of men. His leadership qualities are founded in his faith. He does not operate in the sense that most AD's in the business do.

I did not say that either. I said that he didn't enter the job busting out expectations and standards. He may by now and I suspect he probably has to some degree. But they aren't expectations of a certain number of wins vs losses. Read the article. He actually states this in the article. His expectations are that of growth and maturity.
No one has said in this thread that he laid out W/L expectations.

Just so we're clear. When we (several of us) said he's likely had conversations setting expectations and then you jumped in and said he hasn't, you now actually think he probably has had those conversations?

You're very difficult to follow here.

No one said those conversations were about wins/losses. Having conversations about expectations, especially when things aren't looking great, are typically awkward.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back