• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked What"s the minimum number of victories expected for 2012?

What"s the minimum number of victories expected for 2012?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
True. But if Rex hadn't fumbled at the 5-yard line- how often does that happen?- it's a different game.

I was impressed they scored when the needed to... at the end.

Silly to try to demean their solid road victory over us--heck, no only did they have more yards, first downs and points....they had more turnovers also. They earned a truly solid win on the road.

Silly to try to demean their solid road victory over us--heck, no only did they have more yards, first downs and points....they had more turnovers also. They earned a truly solid win on the road.
I'm not demeaning their victory, just as I'm not dismissing our win over OSU. The two games were largely affected by single plays: Miller's injury and Rex's fumble (among others). How is one a lucky win (when it's us) and the other a solid victory (when it's them)? All I'm saying is that our record, 9-4, includes breaks going both for us and against us (as they do every season). Sure, we could be 8-5, but we could just as easily also be 10-3. As it stands, we are 9-4.

Don't argue with goofoa... Clearly NU was no better than 8-5, our 9-4 record not withstanding.

Some fans like to come up with how we coulda/shoulda won a game and others how we coulda/shoulda lost a game. There comes a point where claiming "realistic" for pessimism becomes just a lame excuse for negativity and agendas start showing.

14-0 and get back to real Nebraska football where expectations are through the roof. 9-4 is for the birds.

I'm not demeaning their victory, just as I'm not dismissing our win over OSU. The two games were largely affected by single plays: Miller's injury and Rex's fumble (among others). How is one a lucky win (when it's us) and the other a solid victory (when it's them)? All I'm saying is that our record, 9-4, includes breaks going both for us and against us (as they do every season). Sure, we could be 8-5, but we could just as easily also be 10-3. As it stands, we are 9-4.

This just isn't so...NW beat us soundly. Conversely, in the OSU game, we were the beneficiary of near divine intervention--Bo needs a lot of luck to offset his lack of attention to coaching details.

9 wins was, is, and will be the standard for a "successful" season at NU.

Anything above that is gravy.

Lots of optimism here. Much of it little more than hope which, to paraphrase General Sullivan, is not a method for improvement.

Other than the 'we're young and will develop" line, what real evidence is there for improvement on the offense? TM has played what is for most a full career at QB and isn't exactly showing the kind of improvement that makes me believe that we are going to see a great QB next year.

Our receiving corps is very talented, but they are inexplicably spending most of their time on the sidelines.

Our defense next terrifies me. We lose the only two playmakers we have. Everyone else was frequently exposed as less skilled and slower than most of our opponents. The safeties are largely impotent. Bo is committed to a defensive system that rarely, if ever, rushes the QB. Maybe there are a couple of JUCO transfers waiting to become the next Lavonte David next year. I hope so, but again, hope isn't a method for improvement.

We face a significantly more difficult non-conference schedule, though I do expect us to be 4-0 coming out of it. It's far from a cakewalk though. AR State is a strong team. Southern Miss is a sold mid-major. UCLA was awful this year, but can expect some improvement. I'm assuming we'll fill the remaining spot with a cupcake.

The B1G schedule is more difficult than last year, with a visit to Columbus (L) and UM at home (L). I doubt MSU will be as strong as last year, though they keep Gholston. East lansing isn't an easy place to play. NW is a mystery. Iowa is a mystery.

At best, I see us at 4-0 non conf and 5-3 in conference (losses to OSU, UM, and one to MSU or Wisky). At worst, I see us at 3-1 non-conf (loss to SM) and 3-5 in conf (losses to OSU, UM, MSU, Wisky, and one to NW or PSU).

So, at best I see us at 9-3, at worst I see us at 6-6. I'm going to go with 7.5 - 4.5 as my final answer.

Last edited:
Lots of optimism here. Much of it little more than hope which, to paraphrase General Sullivan, is not a method for improvement.

What methods do you suggest for fans? Want us to go run gassers and hit the weightroom?

[/QUOTE]

9 wins was, is, and will be the standard for a "successful" season at NU.

Anything above that is gravy.

That was the standard before teams starting playing 12 games in the regular season, and it was also the standard before teams had opporunities at a 13th game in the conference championships.

Ahhhh! The perennial raising of expectations.

I think the question that is really being asked is how many wins do you hope for next year.

It is way too early for any EXPECTATION to be formed for next season's performance. We are in no position to measure Tmart's growth, if any that will occur between now and next fall. Will another running back step up to take up some of the load for Burkhead? etc.

But to answer the question, I hope that we can get to no less than 10. It would be great to win 10 and then a bowl game.

Winning a bowl game washes away alot of a season's pain and disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Back