• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What positions of need still?

OLB
OLB
NT
This is what I'd prefer, like an outta nowhere 5* 6'6" 255# freak of nature pass rusher.

Pass rusher is still number one with a bullet.
I think most of us would love to see a true CB.
Nose Tackle
I like the idea of at least one more WR. That's still a thin position group.

JMPO, but the staff could use Steven Parker, Charles Njoku and Matthew Pola-Mao. Anything else is gravy. If four is the max they can still add, i'd be interested to see if they save one for a grad transfer, or use it on Jamel Starks (DJ James IMPO you definitely do, but not real confident he chooses Nebraska) or Demariyon Houston or John Bivens.

So there seems to be agreement for the need for a Dt, Big wr, cb and an olb. What are their order of importance? I was going to go with a big wr but perhaps our TEs can fill that role.

Must have:

OLB
Big WR
CB

You could talk me into Pola-Mao being "must have" as well since we don't really have a NG committed out of high school. One year stop gaps like Daniels aren't sustainable.

I kinda think Pola-Mao is a bigger need than CB. We are thin at CB but have Bootle and Taylor for multiple seasons and a couple other guys who can slide into that role if necessary. The development time is also longer at NG so we need someone in the system now to be ready in 2020. We could pick up a JC or stud HS corner next year that could play right away. I would, however, much prefer to add a top end CB in this class, too.

Last edited:

Ok, but what is the top need? With the limited pass rushing success we’ve had you could be right.

OLB and NG are 1A and 1B for me. Even more so than another WR. True Freshman WR is more likely to contribute than a NG.

Steven Parker
Matthew Pola-Mao
Charles Njoku
DJ James/Jamel Starks

I kinda think Pola-Mao is a bigger need than CB. We are thin at CB but have Bootle and Taylor for multiple seasons and a couple other guys who can slide into that role if necessary. The development time is also longer at NG so we need someone in the system now to be ready in 2020. We could pick up a JC or stud HS corner next year that could play right away. I would, however, much prefer to add a top end CB in this class, too.

This is my line of thinking as well. Nebraska could definitely use another corner in this class. Heck, you could argue they don't have one in this class yet. NPG, Javin Wright and Quinton Newsome will probably get looks there, and might stick, but you could just as easily argue that they are better off as safeties.

But NG is a big need. You have Darrion Daniels and his brother this year, then Damion is your only game ready guy as of now for 2020. You need a NG in this class. Ethan Piper could still be that guy, but getting someone like Matthew Pola-Mao allows you to put Piper at o-line, where IMPO he's a bet prospect.

Even adding MPM this class leaves Nebraska a little thin at NG for '20. Look at Damion Daniels. Four-star talent who was an ideal fit schematicly. Comes in, redshirts, and still is only "good" for 15 snaps a game last year. That's about where you can expect MPM to be in '20.

OLB and NG are 1A and 1B for me. Even more so than another WR. True Freshman WR is more likely to contribute than a NG.

Steven Parker
Matthew Pola-Mao
Charles Njoku
DJ James/Jamel Starks

Same with a blue chip cornerback. Ideal? Of course not, but look back at the DB class Donte Williams was putting together in the summer of '17 before the bottom dropped out on Riley. Nebraska was thin at corner then and he was going to add four or five really good looking kids. You do that and then let the cream rise from the competition.

Not ideal, but easier than forcing an equivalent talent at d-line play immediately.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back