• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What makes baseball great

Totally agree on finally learning how to score a game...learned that "on the job" playing softball in college lol. Baseball cards are also another great gateway into the sport for kids (was for me...still have them all from my youth, majority being arranged by my favorite teams the A's and the Tigers). Having the opportunity to see just a few MLB stadiums over the years has been great fun as well as memories...hope to pass those down to my young boy.

I also still have my card collection, which I started decades ago as kid! Those were the days when the Topps packs still included a stick of gum that left a chalky residue on at least one of the cards. :)

I also still have my card collection, which I started decades ago as kid! Those were the days when the Topps packs still included a stick of gum that left a chalky residue on at least one of the cards. :)
When the cards started to get a bit glossy, the residue was less of a problem! Then Upper Deck came along and changed everything...I think they pushed out the gum concept from the card market at least? Still wild that Topps will be on the Nasdaq soon....

This is a fantastic thread. For me, my passion for the game began when I was 6 years old and we were walking through a store and my dad bought me a baseball glove. He never bought me anything so it was a big deal. Then coming home and playing catch with him in the sunset after his chores. I was hooked. Then came the baseball cards. Then came playing. Such a great game. The smell of the grass. The crack of the bat. Inject it straight into veins.

We went to spring training six or so years ago and attended an Indians game. My young teen boys went down by the Indians dugout before the game to be closer to the players warming up. Terry Francona stepped out of the dugout and signed their hats. Very cool gesture that the kids will always remember fondly.

I hinted at it previously, it was definitely my grandpa who was my biggest baseball influence. He had a farm in Ashland, and I remember fondly playing catch outside the farmhouse with Grandpa. Then we'd attend an Omaha Royals game ... or a CWS game ... I spent a lot of time in Rosenblatt as a kid!

My grandfather was such a huge Omaha Royals fan and longtime season ticket holder, the team sent him a hat to be buried with upon his death quite a few years ago now. Granted, for most of Grandpa's life, the Royals didn't yet exist. But he generally loved minor league ball -- and played several years. I remember him telling me about a game he played against Joe Garagiola, who at the time played for Fort Riley (KS) during WWII.

I hinted at it previously, it was definitely my grandpa who was my biggest baseball influence. He had a farm in Ashland, and I remember fondly playing catch outside the farmhouse with Grandpa. Then we'd attend an Omaha Royals game ... or a CWS game ... I spent a lot of time in Rosenblatt as a kid!

My grandfather was such a huge Omaha Royals fan and longtime season ticket holder, the team sent him a hat to be buried with upon his death quite a few years ago now. Granted, for most of Grandpa's life, the Royals didn't yet exist. But he generally loved minor league ball -- and played several years. I remember him telling me about a game he played against Joe Garagiola, who at the time played for Fort Riley (KS) during WWII.
Rosenblatt had the best giant nachos and was a blast going to CWS games with my college buddies on the cheap.

Love hearing about how your grandfather had season tickets...something I want to do with my son with some sport when he gets older!

Rosenblatt had the best giant nachos and was a blast going to CWS games with my college buddies on the cheap.

Love hearing about how your grandfather had season tickets...something I want to do with my son with some sport when he gets older!

I went to a lot of CWS games at Rosenblatt growing up. I loved that experience with the fans from every team in attendance. Somewhere I still have the program of the series with Roger Clemens pitching for Texas, Pete Incavalia blasting moon shots for Oklahoma State, and Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo playing for Michigan. That was either 1982 or 1983.

Best summers EVER....

Growing up outside of Omaha....close enough to enjoy it but not living in the city.

College World Series

Summer League Rec Baseball.... LL, Colt, Pony and if you were good enough, American Legion.

The closest municipal swimming pool where the girls hung out.

Dairy Queen

Picnics

4th of July

Watermelon, BBQ, Hamburgers and Hotdogs....Chocolate milkshakes....

Drive in Movies.... or just movie theaters in general...

and ANYTHING on wheels...

I miss those days. Life was simpler then. Seemed slower and more focused....Guess I’m getting old.

But baseball, at least for me, was always a big part of it.

Last edited:

I went to a lot of CWS games at Rosenblatt growing up. I loved that experience with the fans from every team in attendance. Somewhere I still have the program of the series with Roger Clemens pitching for Texas, Pete Incavalia blasting moon shots for Oklahoma State, and Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo playing for Michigan. That was either 1982 or 1983.
Ah... the good ol days. Ma would just drop us off at the park during the CWS around lunch .... spend all day there... this would have been mid 70's.

a-bartlett-giamatti-quote-lby5b4u.jpg

I have 2 pictures signed by Pete Inclaviglia as my first 2 years of high school were in Monterey California before moving back to Nebraska again (my Dad was the Air Force weather liaison to the Navy at Fleet Numerical). Inclaviglia went to Monterey High, so buying (cheap) autographs around the area was easy, and was my prime period of loving baseball in ‘89 to ‘92.

Great years for the A’s (was there in the area for the last games of the Bay Bridge series where game 3 had the earthquake). A period of baseball I’ll never forget!

I have 2 pictures signed by Pete Inclaviglia as my first 2 years of high school were in Monterey California before moving back to Nebraska again (my Dad was the Air Force weather liaison to the Navy at Fleet Numerical). Inclaviglia went to Monterey High, so buying (cheap) autographs around the area was easy, and was my prime period of loving baseball in ‘89 to ‘92.

Great years for the A’s (was there in the area for the last games of the Bay Bridge series where game 3 had the earthquake). A period of baseball I’ll never forget!

1989 World Series. Remember it well!

Inky had a cult following, I think.

That's pretty cool about your dad. I Worked in Palm Springs, CA for a few years (1997-2000)... everyone except me was a retired Air Force weather forecaster.

1989 World Series. Remember it well!

Inky had a cult following, I think.

That's pretty cool about your dad. I Worked in Palm Springs, CA for a few years (1997-2000)... everyone except me was a retired Air Force weather forecaster.
My dad always joked about trying to work in Palm Springs to forecast there...absolutely beautiful place (if one likes desert southwest). Of course he REALLY wanted to stay in Monterey but teeny tiny house there were stupid expensive in the early 90s lol. Yeah, I always appreciate a good forecaster, follow your threads when you post them.

Dad got a rock on a tripod thing (same concept as below) to help forecast once he retired from the Air Force...he still loves that thing...

1618844713602.png

At any rate...if you are also Fighting Weathermen on the HuskerMax fantasy BB team, take it easy on me this year lol

My dad always joked about trying to work in Palm Springs to forecast there...absolutely beautiful place (if one likes desert southwest). Of course he REALLY wanted to stay in Monterey but teeny tiny house there were stupid expensive in the early 90s lol. Yeah, I always appreciate a good forecaster, follow your threads when you post them.

Dad got a rock on a tripod thing (same concept as below) to help forecast once he retired from the Air Force...he still loves that thing...

View attachment 63527

At any rate...if you are also Fighting Weathermen on the HuskerMax fantasy BB team, take it easy on me this year lol

There couldn't possibly be another weatherman, could there? :Biggrin: I've had some frustrations with my roster, but I still think I have a solid collection of talent -- just some have yet to perform.

Yeah, if I had to forecast the weather for Palm Springs, I would have fallen into a coma. lol! You can go a month and not even see a cloud! I was forecasting for all of North America and some European forecasting as well at the time. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back