• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What is the football position that says "Nebraska Football"

What football position makes you think "Nebraska Football"

• Option QB

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Fullback

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • I-Back

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Offensive Line

Votes: 29 45.3%
  • Defensive Line

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Receiver/Tight End

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kicker

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Linebacker

• Defensive Back

• Kick/Punt Returner

• Total voters
Good Lord some of y'all must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed

A decent thread topic and a chance to have a good discussion derailed by a player for two

RR

We've had great players at every position over the years, but what is the football positions that, when you think of it, says "Nebraska football." Comparable examples are USC with tailbacks, Penn State with linebackers, Oklahoma with cheaters, and Texas with bovine relationships.
Earl Campbell and Walker say hey

how you doin

I was sure to specify "football position" because I knew what sort of answers I would get if I left out the adjective. That would have been a REALLY interesting thread for the 10 seconds before it got locked.

It usually takes longer than 10 seconds, but I get your point.

I would also say that since we’ve slidden off the top and then the side of the hill that is college football relevance, our identity and what position our football team most brings to mind has changed as well. My ‘I back’ is obviously a kind toward the past. I wonder what the younger fans of Nebraska and college football in general think from a position standpoint having only seen NU play in...say...the last 15-20 years?

I wonder what the younger fans of Nebraska and college football in general think from a position standpoint having only seen NU play in...say...the last 15-20 years?
They think of Nebraska like we all used to think of Iowa State, Kansas, Indiana, northwestern, Oregon State, etc, bad teams, that If you see on your schedule, you know it’s a sure W.

Last edited:

They think of Nebraska like we all used to think of Iowa State, Kansas, Indiana, northwestern, Oregon State, etc, bad teams, that If you see on your schedule, you know it’s a sure W.

I think that starts to change this fall, but for the really young college football fans (25 or younger) you're likely right.

From the 'position' standpoint as is the question in the OP, I wonder if it's a 'Reasonably athletic quarterback'? Two different athletic Martinez' at the position who'll have played eight years combined. Tommy Armstrong who also seemed to have played eight years. It's an interesting question.

I think that starts to change this fall, but for the really young college football fans (25 or younger) you're likely right.

From the 'position' standpoint as is the question in the OP, I wonder if it's a 'Reasonably athletic quarterback'? Two different athletic Martinez' at the position who'll have played eight years combined. Tommy Armstrong who also seemed to have played eight years. It's an interesting question.
If you’re under 30, you have vague memory of NU being really good. Under 25, there really isn’t any, unless you remember when you were 3 or 4. Yeah, been a minute. Outside of 2009, 2010, where I think NU could have played against anyone and been respectable, that’s really it as far as being really solid.

QB position could certainly be one. Tagge, Gill, Taylor, Frazier, Frost, Crouch. Certainly some great QB’s. 8-9 years worth of Martinez’s, Armstrong for 4. Definitely some lengthy careers.

For the youngsters: Hail Mary 2013 (Z receiver... Or maybe backup QB)

Really hard to pick an individual position nowadays because the program has been struggling for several years. Going back in time I'd have to say the O line, but that's when we ran the option. We were "Kicker-U" for a while (granted, invaluable resource but not what you'd want to define your program). We to string together a decade or more of winning seasons again and have players consistently drafted from a certain position. Then you'll have your answer.

GET TICKETS

Back