• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What is the fascination with QBs who can't throw?

I have seen this often since last Saturday's game. Since there was only family in attendance, what is the basis for those saying the WRs were running open all day? I watched the TV broadcast and you just can't tell who is open downfield on very many plays. So, is someone seeing a film somewhere that i haven't? I'd love to see it for myself.

Smothers? Yes, because the guy who hasn't played is always better...just like the majority said it had to be LM. Masker? Please......
I like to use specific examples. I don’t know if they where running open all day. I know Luke air mailed the one to Robinson on the sideline, he definitely under threw the interception down the other sideline. I noticed the one where Betts was open deep, but as others have pointed out he was rolling away from those throw. I don’t think Luke looks sharp. It’s hard to know when the whole offense is broke.

QBs that can't throw effectively is kinda like having a center that can't snap the ball. Hey coach, your QB has a hard time hitting the open receivers "yeah, but he sure is fast". Hey coach, your center has been having a lot of bad snaps at crucial times, what do you need to do? " yeah, did you see the athletic block he made the series before?"
Seems like we prioritize secondary attributes over the skill needed to play the position in our system.

18 of 20 today for Martinez. 90% completion.
Can’t complain about 90%. Why does that only get us 20 points and limited trips into the red zone though? Watching other teams run this offense it seems we need to throw on time. We had quite a few more throws called for Martinez and not throwing the ball is like an incompletion.

It's funny, because we've spent the last few years complaining about not utilizing tight ends. Now we complete 5 passes to tight ends and that's a problem.

NEBR: Robinson, Wan'Dale 9-75; Vokolek, Travis 3-31; Allen, Austin 2-28; Falck, Levi 2-22; Betts, Zavier 1-15; Warner, Kade 1-9; Martin, Oliver 1-7; Johnson, Rahmir 1-5; Scott III, Marvin 1-3.

I can only count 5 to WR as Wan'Dale was mostly a running back today but we did spread it around better

NEBR: Robinson, Wan'Dale 9-75; Vokolek, Travis 3-31; Allen, Austin 2-28; Falck, Levi 2-22; Betts, Zavier 1-15; Warner, Kade 1-9; Martin, Oliver 1-7; Johnson, Rahmir 1-5; Scott III, Marvin 1-3.

I can only count 5 to WR as Wan'Dale was mostly a running back today but we did spread it around better
I counted Robinson as a WR, because that's what he is. I missed Falck. Either way, nitpicking the position of a player catching the ball is silly. I remember Colorado whining about Brook Berringer only bring able to throw to tight ends once upon a time.

Today, AM went 18-20, on mostly short, safe throws. To me, that earns him the next start if he practices well this week.

Got to ask you all who are these wr that are supposed to be getting the ball? Stanley Morgan? (Gone) jd sielman? (Gone) tyjon Lindsey? (Gone) Wandale Robinson? (May not be anything more than a scat back, convince me otherwise ) ...
Martinez didn’t utilize the te before because they weren’t any good, and now they’re better than the wr he has. I’m not saying there is no blame for Martinez but Christ look at his options.

I don't know about all day long, but there were several key plays where it was true. I can think of at least three times where at least one receiver is wide open and either scores or take it a really long way if LM only sees them or gets the fairly-easy-throw-for-most-D1-QBs there.

On this play, LM rolls out to the right and has lots of space and time . . . just doesn't see Betts all alone. On the same play, I think he also has another WR beating his man by a good distance to the right side.

Then Luke had a pick right near the end of the 1st half where he had a receiver well behind 2 guys up the right side and it's either a TD or right down near the goal if he just throws the ball either upfield or outside just a shade where his receiver is running. But he hangs it up incredibly short and well to the inside and the safety runs over and snags it.

There's another play that I'd have to find where Luke has Robinson beat his man and he's headed up the sideline but Luke just air mails it out of bounds.

Good find and yes, sure wish he had seen and found Betts. On the other two you allude to, LM actually threw to those guys. So although it points out his struggles with throwing a deep ball, it does not support the idea he didn't see or throw to open guys downfield. He just didn't throw it well. :)

Go back 30 years. How many passing QB’s have we had as a starting QB? Very few.

Frost offense is various gimmicks, motion, timing, trips, and the QB running the ball 20 times a game.
We aren't running the same system that we were 30 years ago. TO's offense didn't need the QB to throw the ball as much as Billy C's/Pelini's/Riley's/Frost's offenses do. Hell, our HC was one of those QB's of TO's offense. He was no Dan Marino by far.... But he would struggle in the current offense as well.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back