• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What is the fascination with QBs who can't throw?

The fact is... YOU NEED an elusive dual treat QB to win a national title when you are not getting 5* guys. We ain't getting 5* with any regularity any time soon...

Even Oklahoma knows that the only way they can compete with Clemson and Alabama is to have a dynamic dual threat guy...

I challenge anyone to say that they did not think Adrian Martinez was finally our guy after the way he played at Ohio State in 2018... We all thought he could throw then... and mistakes he made were just freshman mistakes.

WE HAVE FAILED HIM... in development.

Last edited:

I think they thought Martinez was that guy (the guy who could throw, I mean) . . . and sure seemed to be his FR year. For whatever reason, he's regressed. Maybe the benching snaps him out of it. That would be ideal.

McCaffrey I think was definitely a reach where they gambled that they had lightning in a bottle if they could improve his passing (remember that he wasn't a QB--much less a starting QB--in HS very long). We're kind of seeing that he's a far better athlete than he is a QB if passing downfield is a big part of your system. IL game was a real eye opener on how bad his arm and passing instincts are.

Smothers might be the real deal? Seems to throw pretty well on film. Big problem Frost has right now seems to be whether he can survive long enough to get a real system QB who can run the offense like it needs to be run. There were receivers wide open all over the place in the IL secondary.

Last edited:
The fact is... YOU NEED an elusive dual treat QB to win a national title when you are not getting 5* guys. We ain't getting 5* with any regularity any time soon...

Even Oklahoma knows that the only way they can compete with Clemson and Alabama is to have a dynamic dual threat guy...

I challenge anyone to say that they did not think Adrian Martinez was finally our guy after the way he played at Ohio State in 2018... We all thought he could throw then... and mistakes he made were just freshman mistakes.

WE HAVE FAILED HIM... in development.
I agree everyone thought he was legit. He regressed and can’t hit simple swing passed or a screen pass. I don’t think Mario V. Is worth the money.

Ramsker is right, there were guys running WIDE open all day, LM just tucked it and ran or dumped it off underneath. We HAVE to have a QB who can stretch the field and make teams pay with his legs. LM is a stud and an athlete, but he is a novice at best when passing the ball. Smothers? AM second chance? Masker? .....................

I feel the need to mention Tommy Armstrong. He was an athlete we had at QB with more competitive fire than most and a rifle of an arm. Take away his desire to turn a nothing play into something resulting in numerous bad decisions and he could've been one of the best. Simply forced too many balls, but man...did I love how he fought through the final whistle.

How is it NU fans and coaches fall deeply for the QB who has a hard time hitting any target beyond 15 yards consistently?

I remember going to the spring game to see Taylor Martinez play qb for the first time in a Husker uniform. I heard all the rave and hype about his speed and athleticism during his red shirt year as Cody Green tried to solidify himself as the "future" of the program as a true freshman behind Zac Lee. TM quickly showcased the speed that we heard about so much, but I wanted to see if he can distribute the ball to the guys recruited to catch the ball while running routes.. All the snaps he got that day he never attempted to toss the ball further than 5 or 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Biggest play was a slant route I believe to Brandon Kinnie who drug defenders about 10 or 15 yards into the endzone.

I commented in depth about it and it was met with rebuttal after rebuttal. No problem.... But to me his limitations were obvious regardless of the athleticism. We hitched our wagon to that man for the next 3 seasons that had us ending without a single post season win in 5 attempts.

Fast forward to today....Luke I'm sure is a great kid. Excellent athlete...... But the priority of his position, he obviously doesn't show much comfort in doing. Throwing the ball.... Given we don't have a true down field threat and the WR position is working through some rough patches.....but his throws even to wide open targets rarely look sharp. Too low, too high....slightly behind. He literally never looks comfortable unless he running the football up the field... I believe it was said that he had the most carries this weekend which is crazy to me because #1 is in the backfield with him. I really don't know what's going on in practice and I can see that A.Martinez is having is own struggles on Saturday so I'm not going to question the coaching staff in making a decision of who to play.

But the quote that keeps being thrown out is "we are going to play the one who gives us the best chance to win"......... If a man that uncomfortable of performing his primary duties is the guy that gives you the best chance to win......Your team is going to struggle accomplishing much on the field.

How is it that Nebraska keeps falling for these QBs who can't deliver the ball? We aren't running the option like they did in the 80s and 90s. Play action still exist but QBs in Lincoln are dropping back or taking the shotgun snap these days. I'm going to cheer whoever is standing on our sideline, but why is we can't look at our recruits and see a great QB who is also an athlete, rather than finding a great athlete promising him an opportunity to play QB?

How is it NU fans and coaches fall deeply for the QB who has a hard time hitting any target beyond 15 yards consistently?

I remember going to the spring game to see Taylor Martinez play qb for the first time in a Husker uniform. I heard all the rave and hype about his speed and athleticism during his red shirt year as Cody Green tried to solidify himself as the "future" of the program as a true freshman behind Zac Lee. TM quickly showcased the speed that we heard about so much, but I wanted to see if he can distribute the ball to the guys recruited to catch the ball while running routes.. All the snaps he got that day he never attempted to toss the ball further than 5 or 10 yards from the line of scrimmage. Biggest play was a slant route I believe to Brandon Kinnie who drug defenders about 10 or 15 yards into the endzone.

I commented in depth about it and it was met with rebuttal after rebuttal. No problem.... But to me his limitations were obvious regardless of the athleticism. We hitched our wagon to that man for the next 3 seasons that had us ending without a single post season win in 5 attempts.

Fast forward to today....Luke I'm sure is a great kid. Excellent athlete...... But the priority of his position, he obviously doesn't show much comfort in doing. Throwing the ball.... Given we don't have a true down field threat and the WR position is working through some rough patches.....but his throws even to wide open targets rarely look sharp. Too low, too high....slightly behind. He literally never looks comfortable unless he running the football up the field... I believe it was said that he had the most carries this weekend which is crazy to me because #1 is in the backfield with him. I really don't know what's going on in practice and I can see that A.Martinez is having is own struggles on Saturday so I'm not going to question the coaching staff in making a decision of who to play.

But the quote that keeps being thrown out is "we are going to play the one who gives us the best chance to win"......... If a man that uncomfortable of performing his primary duties is the guy that gives you the best chance to win......Your team is going to struggle accomplishing much on the field.

How is it that Nebraska keeps falling for these QBs who can't deliver the ball? We aren't running the option like they did in the 80s and 90s. Play action still exist but QBs in Lincoln are dropping back or taking the shotgun snap these days. I'm going to cheer whoever is standing on our sideline, but why is we can't look at our recruits and see a great QB who is also an athlete, rather than finding a great athlete promising him an opportunity to play QB?

Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations.

Might be time to start one of these guys:

Logan's H.S. stats according to his BIO: He completed 65 percent of his passes and threw for 1,702 yards and 14 touchdowns as a junior, adding 832 rushing yards and nine touchdowns. As a sophomore, Smothers threw for 2,041 yards and 14 touchdowns, while rushing for 719 yards and eight touchdowns. He threw for more than 1,500 yards and rushed for nearly 500 yards as a freshman while accounting for 15 total touchdowns.

Masker's stats: Masker threw for more than 7,000 yards with a 63.4 percent completion rate and 86 touchdowns. As a senior, Masker threw for 2,506 yards and 25 touchdowns, while rushing for 341 yards and six scores. As a junior in 2016, he compiled 2,717 passing yards and 36 touchdowns. In 2015, Masker threw for 1,724 yards and 24 touchdowns. Following his prep career, Masker represented the South Squad in the 2018 Nebraska Shrine Bowl.

What do we have to lose except more games that we are going to probably lose anyway!

Last edited:
I don't think it's the case that "we don't get good WRs". At all. NU has recruited quite a few that were good gets. They just haven't developed. I fail to see how it would be possible that practically ALL of our WR recruits were simply over rated by the services and the programs that were recruiting them. SOMETHING isn't right from the development standpoint.
What are we sitting at 7 or 8 kids that are sophomores and younger. None of them can consistently get on the field! That’s definitely a coaching issue!

Last edited:
This offense MUST have a guy that's up around 70% on the short stuff and can get the ball downfield when called for. If he runs like the wind that's a bonus. It can't be the other way around.
This here says it all.

I try to hold my tongue on certain things I see as I don't want to be pegged as the Husker fan who complains about everything the Huskers do......but I don't see Luke as being the QB we need at this point. He needs to be on the field, but not under center.

Nothing wrong with knowing your limitations.
This is true. I agree but for a coach to make a firm decision that THIS GUY is going to have the keys for the next 4 years which such a limitation was idiotic on his part. We as fans are going to cheer for the big plays no matter how they come but he should know better.

Ramsker is right, there were guys running WIDE open all day, LM just tucked it and ran or dumped it off underneath. We HAVE to have a QB who can stretch the field and make teams pay with his legs. LM is a stud and an athlete, but he is a novice at best when passing the ball. Smothers? AM second chance? Masker? .....................

I have seen this often since last Saturday's game. Since there was only family in attendance, what is the basis for those saying the WRs were running open all day? I watched the TV broadcast and you just can't tell who is open downfield on very many plays. So, is someone seeing a film somewhere that i haven't? I'd love to see it for myself.

Smothers? Yes, because the guy who hasn't played is always better...just like the majority said it had to be LM. Masker? Please......

I have seen this often since last Saturday's game. Since there was only family in attendance, what is the basis for those saying the WRs were running open all day? I watched the TV broadcast and you just can't tell who is open downfield on very many plays. So, is someone seeing a film somewhere that i haven't? I'd love to see it for myself.

Smothers? Yes, because the guy who hasn't played is always better...just like the majority said it had to be LM. Masker? Please......
I with you on that. All it takes is one person to say it and it's echoed repeatedly as if it's factual and/or everyone saw it..... Most of the routes were not seen on the broadcast. Yet many saw WRs were opened all day..... I know on some of the snaps I can see LM looking and scanning and simply not looking at his check down route. Or times where I saw him look down his target and never scan to the left or right to see if there was another options, but I'm not going to go as far as to say WRs were open all game because I really couldn't see that from the broadcast.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back