• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What If??

denisonred

Travel Squad
15 Year Member
Rumors have it that Washington and Oregon reached out to the BIG but were told they were standing pat for now. Washington and Oregon leaving has the Pac12 reeling at the moment. Washington and Oregon have few options available. Just a what if they joined the Big 12? The Big 12 is still recovering from Texas and Oklahoma bailing out. Washington and Oregon have more curb appeal than the four teams they have added. This would give the Big 12 geographical presence in the Northwest. As long as we are just throwing out possibilities what if the Pac12 and Big 12 consolidated? This would result in a 22 team conference stretching from Seattle to Orlando. This would put them in a competitive position with the BIG and the SEC. Just food for thought.

The PAC X has more firepower now than the Big 12. Stanford, Oregon and Washington carry more star power than anyone in the Big 12. Washington and Oregon would be better off staying where they are if they Big 12 is their only option.

If Stanford, Oregon and Washington do join the BiG, the BiG XII and PAC is dead meat in the street pete.

I definitely agree that the Pac 12 would be dead but the Big 12 would then absorb the other Pac schools and survive to live another day though several steps below the Big 10 and SEC.

Last edited:

The PAC X has more firepower now than the Big 12. Stanford, Oregon and Washington carry more star power than anyone in the Big 12. Washington and Oregon would be better off staying where they are if they Big 12 is their only option.
Staying where they are? For what? Washington and Oregon have limited options, like everyone else not in the national conference or the SEC. They’ve got nowhere to go. The Big 12 and the remaining PAC schools would make a very formidable league. Not sure Stanford, Washington or Oregon is better than Oklahoma State is right now either, or Baylor. Grundy has some staying power with them. They’re solid. Stanford has been crap (like NU) as of late. Washington has been a chit show since Pederson left. Oregon hadn’t been any better really either. All are in a pickle. They should not wait. The national conference isn’t gonna bail all of them out.

Last edited:
Staying where they are? For what? Washington and Oregon have limited options, like everyone else not in the national conference or the SEC. They’ve got nowhere to go. The Big 12 and the remaining PAC schools would make a very formidable league. Not sure Stanford, Washington or Oregon is better than Oklahoma State is right now either, or Baylor. Grundy has some staying power with them. They’re solid. Stanford has been crap (like NU) as of late. Washington has been a chit show since Pederson left. Oregon hadn’t been any better really either. All are in a pickle. They should not wait. The national conference isn’t gonna bail all of them out.
I am simply of the opinion that those 2 schools are better off staying with the current PAC teams as opposed to trying to jump to the Big 12, which is essentially MWC 2 once Texas and OU leave. Stanford, Oregon, and Washington are still marquee names. I can’t think of anyone in the Big 12 that comes close in brand value. Oklahoma state or Baylor might be better on the field right now, but their names are not being thrown around as targets for any league to poach.

My guess is we do end up getting Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, and probably Arizona or Utah. That puts the BIG 10 to 20 teams.

The SEC adding Texas and OU brings them to 16, then not sure what the SEC does since the ACC media rights are through 2036, it's hard seeing anyone being able to leave there (whereas the PAC-12's end in 2024). Probably see Colorado, Cal, Washington, Washington St., Oregon St., and Stanford to the Big 12 (and either Arizona or Utah). This would bring the Big 12 total to 19 when you include Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, and BYU. Then I could see the Big 12 sniping one additional G5 school to get to 20

Last edited:
I keep wondering why there has not been more play for ASU?
-good athletics
-Pheonix and the desert Southwest are the growth area in the US as a market, much greater than San Francisco And Stanford.
-home to a major bowl while San Francisco is not.
so why isn’t ASU a higher pick as a west coast addition?

I keep wondering why there has not been more play for ASU?
-good athletics
-Pheonix and the desert Southwest are the growth area in the US as a market, much greater than San Francisco And Stanford.
-home to a major bowl while San Francisco is not.
so why isn’t ASU a higher pick as a west coast addition?
I don’t know - abysmal academics?
It was mentioned in another thread that academics were not a big consideration in the current realignment atmosphere, but for the Big Ten, the do still remain an important factor. I’m not saying ASU could never be in the Big Ten, but realistically they make a better fit in the Big XII both academically and from a brand standpoint…

I don’t know - abysmal academics?
It was mentioned in another thread that academics were not a big consideration in the current realignment atmosphere, but for the Big Ten, the do still remain an important factor. I’m not saying ASU could never be in the Big Ten, but realistically they make a better fit in the Big XII both academically and from a brand standpoint…
The highly religious groups within the governing bodies have asked them to change their mascot to the Sun SInners.

No go.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back