• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Husker Game(s) Would You Play for a Non Football Fan or Non Husker Fan?

MonagHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
I was watching a football documentary and they were discussing a non Husker game as being the best ever. It got me to thinking about a game or games you might want to share with someone.

1) What Husker game(s) would you give to a new or non football fan in general and why?

2) What Husker game(s) would you give to a student/fan of the game, but is not a Husker fan and why?

Thanks as always!

1. Game of the century. They would get to see great football with exciting plays. 2001 Oklahoma game you would get to see similar plays from both teams. 1 a failure and 1 run to perfection. It would show how slim the difference is between success and failure.

2. Miami/NE 94. You can show the Vince Lombardi principle of running the same play to perfection no one can stop it. TO did not change the plays being run even when he was behind. He knew it would eventually wear them down. Also the 97 NC against Tennessee. This shows what a good D can do to even the greatest offensive players. The utter destruction of an offense run by arguably one of the greatest QBs of all time has become more amazing over time.

1995 Florida or 1997 Tennessee.

For a casual fan, we played complete games, executing on Offense, Defense and Special Teams. It's nice to see what perfection looks like and those games were about as close as any. Good examples of what offensive production looks like and how defenses can wreck an opponent.

For students of the game, we ran that option game flawlessly. It's an offensive style you don't exactly see today, although the mechanics and fundamentals of misdirection and forcing the defense to commit/overcommit are still very much in use in the modern spread style RPO. It's like studying the Code of Hammurabi to better understand more modern documents like the Magna Carta or US Constitution.

If you want some more recent (and less elite) games, I'd say look at some of our recent bouts with Michigan State. Those have always been pretty great games and highly competitive. Good examples of what a fairly "typical" football game looks like between evenly matched foes.

Last edited:

I was watching a football documentary and they were discussing a non Husker game as being the best ever. It got me to thinking about a game or games you might want to share with someone.

1) What Husker game(s) would you give to a new or non football fan in general and why?

2) What Husker game(s) would you give to a student/fan of the game, but is not a Husker fan and why?

Thanks as always!
Can you get me a copy of 1992 Colorado? I don't remember much after the 1st quarter and would like to see it.

For non football fans, particularly women, I recommend Texas 2009. I showed it to a couple of women I know and their reaction was pretty much, "So how can I meet this Ndamukong Suh?" ;)

Last edited:

For non football fans, particularly women, I recommend Texas 2009. I showed it to a couple of women I know and their reaction was pretty much, "So how can I meet this Ndamukong Suh?" ;)
Probably the best way to meet him would be to play QB for somebody going against Tampa Bay this year. I'd predict an embrace and lots of physical contact.

Honestly for me and wanting to show both a great win and a complete ass whopping, and also especially because I am a native Floridian, '94 beating Miami 24 - 17 and while I wasn't at the game, I watched that whole damn game on the edge of my seat yelling and screaming.

'95 beat down of the Gators. 62 - 24. How fun was that!!!! I recall not even caring that we were down early, because I could just sense how bigger, faster and better we were in that first quarter alone and then, THAT SECOND QUARTER!!!!
1996 Tostitos Fiesta Bowl
National Championship Game
1234Total
Florida1008624
Nebraska629141362
DateJanuary 2, 1996
Season1995
StadiumSun Devil Stadium
LocationTempe, Arizona
MVPTommie Frazier
FavoriteNebraska by 3½
National anthemPatti Austin
RefereePat Flood (Pac-10)
Attendance79,864

Wow, we scored more in the 2nd QTR than Florida scored all game.

I obviously remember it was a colossal beatdown, but didn't realize how lopsided the box score was. I was remembering it as kind of a "we score 2 and they score 1" kind of back-and-forth. But clearly, it wasn't.

I obviously remember it was a colossal beatdown, but didn't realize how lopsided the box score was. I was remembering it as kind of a "we score 2 and they score 1" kind of back-and-forth. But clearly, it wasn't.
I was in a bar with a good friend shooting pool, drinking beer and watching the game. I was the only "Husker" in the place and my buddy was like, "Dude, you are gonna get us both beat up if you don't stop yelling 'GO BIG RED' every time they score." Or something very similar to that. HAHA! I got some pretty harsh stares from the Gators fans, but honestly, after the game, several people came by and congratulated me on the Huskers huge win. That 2nd quarter man. GO BIG RED!!!

The first quarter was competitive

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back