• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What happens with our season ticket money if the stadium is only allowed to hold 20,000?

I’m interested to see if they come up with some options.
-qualifying as a contribution and being tax deductible.
-offering a discounted renewal for future seasons.
-offering partial refund and/or applying balance into next season.
-offering access to other Husker sports for the year.

I’m sure some bright folks are coming up with some contingency plans.
If we aren't allowed to have a full stadium, they'll almost certainly base seating on priority points. They'll give the biggest donors first dibs, and continue down the list until they've reached whatever the capacity is.

Also, while they may ASK for our ticket purchases to be turned into donations, they won't be tax deductible. Donations to college athletic programs lost tax deductibility in the latest round of tax code changes a couple years ago.

If you don't want to convert it to a donation, they'll issue refunds. Nebraska has generally been very good about taking care of season ticket holders, and this won't be any different.

Finally, everyone needs to shut up about limited seating!!! We're going to have a season, and we're going to have a full stadium for every home game. It's gonna happen. Believe.

Also, while they may ASK for our ticket purchases to be turned into donations, they won't be tax deductible. Donations to college athletic programs lost tax deductibility in the latest round of tax code changes a couple years ago.

Finally, everyone needs to shut up about limited seating!!! We're going to have a season, and we're going to have a full stadium for every home game. It's gonna happen. Believe.

The reason I suggest a deduction maybe an option, it’s likely only a matter of time before the schools reach out to the government for some form of relief. If some of that can come via a waiver of the new tax code that allows funds like this to remain with the school, I’m sure some smart bureaucrat will toss this out as a solution.

I do admire your positivity.

Last edited:
If we aren't allowed to have a full stadium, they'll almost certainly base seating on priority points. They'll give the biggest donors first dibs, and continue down the list until they've reached whatever the capacity is.

If you don't want to convert it to a donation, they'll issue refunds. Nebraska has generally been very good about taking care of season ticket holders, and this won't be any different.

That's interesting. I assumed and still think they would let every current season ticket holder go to one or two games in their current seats. But you're saying they would give full season tickets to the highest point holders and freeze the other 50,000 or so season ticket holders out.

You could be right. I only had season tickets one year because I live out of state. But if I still had them I'd be so PO'd if they did that that I would drop my tickets forever. I wonder if enough people did that if it wouldn't kill off the sell out string forever.

Maybe in-staters wouldn't feel like me because living out of state I have other options. But man. Seems like a big risk for them to take. Give a huge reward to higher priority point holders for a situation that would likely only last one year and maybe risk thousands of non-renewals.

Last edited:

That's interesting. I assumed and still think they would let every current season ticket holder go to one or two games in their current seats.but you're saying they would give full season tickets to the highest point holders and freeze the other 50,000 or so season ticket holders out.

You could be right. I only had season tickets one year because I live out of state. But if I still was I would be so PO"d if they did that that I would drop my tickets forever. I wonder if enough people did that if it wouldn't kill off the sell out string forever.
Your idea might be feasible, too. They might give everyone an opportunity to go to 2 games or something. The choice of which games might then be based on priority points. Big donors get to pick their games first, and the rest of us get the scraps.

Your idea might be feasible, too. They might give everyone an opportunity to go to 2 games or something. The choice of which games might then be based on priority points. Big donors get to pick their games first, and the rest of us get the scraps.
Ah, that might be it. Let everybody go but bigger donors get the best games. Something like that might work.

I got 4 in a row, I go with my wife, sister and BIL who I see daily, no need for distancing, we should be able to sit.

As far as refunding goes the balance of the season ticket cost for baseball season ticket holders was refunded for games canceled. I get it is a whole different level of $$ and the number of people involved is a lot less. Even with that in mind, the precedence was set that season tickets were refunded for games that were canceled due to COVID

Whatever they end up doing outside of a full stadium, it sounds like a nightmare to coordinate all of those who, whens and wheres to fit 90000 butts into 20000 seats changing everything over 7 games. I'm certainly glad I don't work at the ticket office. Those folks are going to need a raise.

It should be all fans or none. You are have a high probably of exposure no matter the number when you start talking 10K+ fans. We only have so many gates and you are going to have trouble controlling those people and distancing. Also factor in the parking lots and all of the other exposures. Let people take their own risks. If they don't want to go, stay home otherwise open it up.

I think ultimately it will be all or nothing as far as fans go. Some will choose to stay away anyway so unlikely we will have a full house.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back