• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What happens to basketball?

bilsker

Tom Osborne
15 Year Member
So I don't see how they can nix "fall sports" yet start winter sports in the fall semester. So that puts the non-con season on the chopping block and imperils the entire season.

As a Creighton fan that REALLY sucks because the jays are top 10 and loaded this year. As a basketball fan in general it sucks because...well, what else is there in the winter? NBA? Yawn. I can deal with the NFL as a substitute for CFB if I must but I simply don't like the NBA. Not for any political reasons...I just don't like the brand of basketball.

So on one of the 1620 shows today they were talking about the possibility of bringing 16 teams into Omaha and creating a "bubble". They figured they could set up up to 3 courts at the CHI Center and play multiple games daily. I don't know that 16 would work but I think you could maybe get 8 teams and play 6 or 7 games in a 2 week period over winter break and salvage some sort of non-con.

Nebraska, Creighton, UNO, Iowa, So. Dak., Colorado or CSU, KSU, Kansas, Drake, SW Missou, etc. I think coaches would prefer to have some softer games in there...thus the UNO, Drake, SWMissou, etc. Hopefully, they are thinking outside the box NOW.

Thoughts?

That sounds great - kind of an extended round-robin Holiday tournament. Isn't going to defray any of the Volleyball tourism money though.

Men's and Women's basketball at UNL will be competing for PBA time with Volleyball in the spring. Not sure what other sports will be competing for court time.

That sounds great - kind of an extended round-robin Holiday tournament. Isn't going to defray any of the Volleyball tourism money though.

Men's and Women's basketball at UNL will be competing for PBA time with Volleyball in the spring. Not sure what other sports will be competing for court time.

Volleyball plays at Devaney.
:Facepalm:

Volleyball plays at Devaney.
:Facepalm:
UNL announced that volleyball could play at PBA to allow social distancing this season, I assume it will be the same in the Spring. I thought it was a done deal, I guess that's still a contingency.

UNL announced that volleyball could play at PBA to allow social distancing this season, I assume it will be the same in the Spring. I thought it was a done deal, I guess that's still a contingency.

Ok, that makes sense. I hadn't seen that. I looks like PBA is just an option at this point. With moving to Spring, it may be less of an option now.

Izzo envisions round-robin events with four teams beginning after Thanksgiving and extending into December: “You do that three times, you have your nine non-conference games.”

Coaches hope conference games would follow. And then …

“Bubble back up,” Izzo said, “for the Big Ten tourney and NCAA Tournament.”
One more from Izzo: “There is no way we are not playing an NCAA Tournament.”

Last edited:

And if it does indeed work out that college basketball goes to a bubble system starting in November, put Nebraska on the list of schools willing to host teams for a few days of games.

"I'll host anything I can," Moos said when asked if he would be willing to host a pod in Lincoln. "Lincoln, Nebraska, is one of the safest places in the country, and I've been pointing that out for a long time. We've got a great facility. How many people we could have in there, I don't know."

Looks like college hoops may start on Nov 25th. :Mfclap: :Mfclap: :Mfclap:

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back