• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Happened to our Defense?

Ellis Boyd Redding

Varsity
10 Year Member
First 29 games - Huskers committed 19 errors

Last 10 games - Huskers committed 15 errors

Coach Erstad's take:

CCuyMuYUMAE7uPr.png

Yes, I heard the interview after the game last night. It did put me to ease. Although, that is a lot of "mistakes" to forget about.

Its a good question and I'm not really sure since this team has shown the ability to play exceptional defense, and really, that has been a staple of Erstad's teams. I do wonder if guys are a little drained right now. I mentioned it in the game thread last night; this team has played a lot of games over the last 6 weeks without any real break. I wonder if there is some mental fatigue right now contributing to the errors, especially considering many of the recent mistakes being made are more mental then physical.

The schedule lightens up from here out (in terms of games per week); I hope that having a little more of a break during the midweek will help alleviate the recent mistakes.

The baseball season is definitely a "grind" and it's nearly impossible to play at your peak level throughout the entire season.

It's reassuring to me to have a guy like Erstad at the helm. He's been there and done that. He'll keep the team emotions in check. No panic here. It's almost expected to have a let down at some point, especially in the middle of the grind, and when playing what you expect to be inferior competition.

I expect that this team will play better baseball when it matters most.

The baseball season is definitely a "grind" and it's nearly impossible to play at your peak level throughout the entire season.

It's reassuring to me to have a guy like Erstad at the helm. He's been there and done that. He'll keep the team emotions in check. No panic here. It's almost expected to have a let down at some point, especially in the middle of the grind, and when playing what you expect to be inferior competition.

I expect that this team will play better baseball when it matters most.

+1

No worries, Nebraska is already in the tourney, haven't you been reading the posts??? Lol.

I am just curious, FC, are you a Creighton fan in baseball, not rooting for Nebraska? Just wondering.

And, if you're wondering why I ask? You seem very negative toward the Huskers. Just an opinion.

Last edited:
I'm a HUGE Husker baseball fan, but not a Darin Erstad fan.

I, for one, thought TO should've hired a baseball coach, not a former player with one year of volunteer experience on the D-I level. If TO wanted to take a chance on a former player, why not hire Will Bolt, at least he had head coaching experience.

At the time, Nebraska was one of the best paying jobs in the nation, MA in his last year made 400k+, but TO went with the "comfort hire" of a former MLB player, which amounts to a project hire. TO = Phenominal Coach, Poor Hiring AD.

I'm a HUGE Husker baseball fan, but not a Darin Erstad fan.

I, for one, thought TO should've hired a baseball coach, not a former player with one year of volunteer experience on the D-I level. If TO wanted to take a chance on a former player, why not hire Will Bolt, at least he had head coaching experience.

At the time, Nebraska was one of the best paying jobs in the nation, MA in his last year made 400k+, but TO went with the "comfort hire" of a former MLB player, which amounts to a project hire. TO = Phenominal Coach, Poor Hiring AD.

Don't you think Darin deserves a chance? He is doing pretty good, considering how the team was going the other way, until he got here, with a year under his belt. It is what it is, so let's just wait and see, ok? I, myself, like the choice. Darin is very knowledgeable, and he has plenty of time to improve this team. Hey, he killed my SF Giants, to win the World Series. So, you know I am not on a a bandwagon over Darin. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back