• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Does Chubba Purdy Bring to the Huskers QB Room? Let’s Look at His Start at NC State

Seems the offense was good with most things, except scoring.. so i have always thought that was a big reason why he is here now..

Red zone offense or red zone efficiency was a major reason for the coaching and personnel changes made in the off season. Frost said as much after the coaching changes. Pittsburgh finished 28th in red zone offense with Whipple’s offense. Nebraska finished 106th with Frost’s offense. Digging into that stat in a little more detail I discovered that Pittsburgh scored 25 red zone touchdowns by passing and Nebraska scored just 7 by passing. Nebraska did score 28 touchdowns rushing, which is good, but Pittsburgh, while scoring 25 passing also managed to score 24 touchdowns rushing. Pittsburgh’s red zone scoring percentage was .884 while Nebraska’s was .774. Turns out that Texas, where our new QB was playing last year was 4th in red zone scoring percentage.

Nebraska clearly had a red zone efficiency issue. In my opinion, this was caused by the following things:

1. Poor play calling.
2. Poor decision-making by the QB
3. Inconsistent run-blocking causing inability to pick up key 1st downs (touchdown scoring was pretty good).
4. Poor kicking

The good news is that attempts have been made to fix all of these things. Frost fired himself as play caller and replaced himself with someone more experienced. The QB was changed, through transfers. The QB coach was fired and replaced. The OC was fired and replaced. Frost hired an actual dedicated special teams coach. New kickers have been brought in. And to try to pick up those key 1st downs in the red zone, the OL coach was fired and replaced with someone who advocates a more aggressive approach. So at least the problem (lack of zone efficiency) was identified and attempts at solutions are in progress. Whether or not this problem is solved will have a large part in determining if Frost sticks around.

Red zone offense or red zone efficiency was a major reason for the coaching and personnel changes made in the off season. Frost said as much after the coaching changes. Pittsburgh finished 28th in red zone offense with Whipple’s offense. Nebraska finished 106th with Frost’s offense. Digging into that stat in a little more detail I discovered that Pittsburgh scored 25 red zone touchdowns by passing and Nebraska scored just 7 by passing. Nebraska did score 28 touchdowns rushing, which is good, but Pittsburgh, while scoring 25 passing also managed to score 24 touchdowns rushing. Pittsburgh’s red zone scoring percentage was .884 while Nebraska’s was .774. Turns out that Texas, where our new QB was playing last year was 4th in red zone scoring percentage.

Nebraska clearly had a red zone efficiency issue. In my opinion, this was caused by the following things:

1. Poor play calling.
2. Poor decision-making by the QB
3. Inconsistent run-blocking causing inability to pick up key 1st downs (touchdown scoring was pretty good).
4. Poor kicking

The good news is that attempts have been made to fix all of these things. Frost fired himself as play caller and replaced himself with someone more experienced. The QB was changed, through transfers. The QB coach was fired and replaced. The OC was fired and replaced. Frost hired an actual dedicated special teams coach. New kickers have been brought in. And to try to pick up those key 1st downs in the red zone, the OL coach was fired and replaced with someone who advocates a more aggressive approach. So at least the problem (lack of zone efficiency) was identified and attempts at solutions are in progress. Whether or not this problem is solved will have a large part in determining if Frost sticks around.
Pretty much it

As Nebraska football inches closer to its season-opener against Northwestern being played over 4,000 miles away in Dublin, Ireland, on Aug. 27, questions remain on what the new-look Huskers will look like.

I can't view the story ("You've used your three free articles this month.") but I looked up the stats and it doesn't tell you much. He passed for 88 yards until NC State, up 35-9, put in their scrubs in the 4th quarter. Against the scrubs, he threw 2 TD passes for 69 yards and 24 yards (with a minute and change left in the game), finishing with 181 yards.

Yea?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back