• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What do you make of this?

I wish I was an arrogant prick who had skills, but was far from eye popping as a first round draft pick making 10 million guaranteed. Quite the standards to impress nowadays.
Did Fant ever say if he would have been offered to play TE here that he would have picked NU? IMO if Fant came here and played TE I don't think he would have been a 1st round pick based on our TE play the last few years. Can you really fault a TE or OL from anywhere that picks Iowa based on how many guys they've put in to the NFL under Ferentz?

Did Fant ever say if he would have been offered to play TE here that he would have picked NU? IMO if Fant came here and played TE I don't think he would have been a 1st round pick based on our TE play the last few years. Can you really fault a TE or OL from anywhere that picks Iowa based on how many guys they've put in to the NFL under Ferentz?
He didn't want to play DE and we were recruiting him for that and that let Iowa get their foot in the door and talk to him about their TE development and it was pretty much game over from there. We used to have to text him just to hear Mike Riley out when he wouldn't respond. In fairness to him, he let them give another pitch or two. He just liked what he heard from Iowa. I get it, especially from a TE. To what you point out, he isn't a first round draft pick here.

The hindsight thing is always interesting. Like we do with Woodhead and how he would do here, we always wonder what would happen if Fant came here. But I think both of those guys are happy with the way it played out.

He didn't want to play DE and we were recruiting him for that and that let Iowa get their foot in the door and talk to him about their TE development and it was pretty much game over from there. We used to have to text him just to hear Mike Riley out when he wouldn't respond. In fairness to him, he let them give another pitch or two. He just liked what he heard from Iowa. I get it, especially from a TE. To what you point out, he isn't a first round draft pick here.

The hindsight thing is always interesting. Like we do with Woodhead and how he would do here, we always wonder what would happen if Fant came here. But I think both of those guys are happy with the way it played out.

Have to agree. Fant was best positioned to be a TE on the next level and in the NFL as well (although hard to project that out from HS).

What's frustrating right now is that we have TE's on the roster who can play on the next level, IMO. We have to hope we can start showing athletes like that a pathway to playing on Sundays.. but I guess that's true of a whole lot of positions for us

Have to agree. Fant was best positioned to be a TE on the next level and in the NFL as well (although hard to project that out from HS).

What's frustrating right now is that we have TE's on the roster who can play on the next level, IMO. We have to hope we can start showing athletes like that a pathway to playing on Sundays.. but I guess that's true of a whole lot of positions for us
The scouts drool over Austin Allen, but for some reason he hasn't shown out on Saturdays. He's been a bit inconsistent. I haven't been able to watch Vokolek play actual football, but Frost can tell Fidone that is what we envision you being. Vokolek is Stoll blocking and Allen in the passing game.

We need 2020 to happen, because the vision recruiting pitch is gone. These 2021 and 2022 guys need to see results. If we don't play 2020 and have to recruit vision for our fourth recruiting class, we won't finish higher than Iowa in recruiting rankings.

Fant was Fant! The guy our staff recruited for the wrong position, and an arrogant prick who seemed long on talent, but short on work. Even with all that talent he regularly played second fiddle at his position.

Time will tell, but film and a few friends who regularly follow metro football think he’s got skills, but is far from eye popping.

To the extent that Fant played second fiddle, it was to Hockenson, who was drafted 12 positions earlier in the first round than Fant was.

TO would occasionally lose instate kids to places like Notre Dame or Stanford, even in the program's heyday. One difference though is that I don't think TO ever lost an instate kid that we really wanted to a conference opponent. Instate kids going to Minnesota and Iowa today would be the rough equivalent of going to Colorado, Missouri, or K-State during Osborne' time. Maybe I am forgetting someone, but I don't remember Osborne losing any instate recruit to a Big 8 or Big 12 team... not even to Oklahoma or Texas.
Randy Jostes and Larry Station both went elsewhere, Jostes to a conference rival, and Station to the Hawkeyes. I feel like I’m overlooking a couple more, but there was bourbon being sipped last night and I’m not feeling particularly sharp.

To the extent that Fant played second fiddle, it was to Hockenson, who was drafted 12 positions earlier in the first round than Fant was.
No argument, Hockenson was a far more complete player, primarily because he wasn’t a prima donna. Wasn’t Fant the higher rated recruit?

We have a hard time being happy for guys when they find success elsewhere. Like your high school girlfriend being jealous of the woman you settled down with and raised a family.

No argument, Hockenson was a far more complete player, primarily because he wasn’t a prima donna. Wasn’t Fant the higher rated recruit?

To be honest, I don't follow Iowa football much outside of NU gameday so I couldn't tell you who was rated higher. It's easier for me to think Hockenson was a late bloomer then to assume Fant was skating a bit. Hard to imagine Fant was much of a bum at all seeing how he did get drafted in the 1st round. If he did have a bit of "look at me" in him he was able to back it up on the field. Good health and good luck to both, we'll see in a few years how each does at the next level. I hope we can soon have a similar discussion about a couple Husker players.

I think that's the major concern... Iowa used to pull Fant, Bazata, Ott from us. And look what those guys turned into, Fant was a first round draft pick, Ott was an all-conference performer. Fine, we didn't offer Ott and Bazata, I can get over that. Fant I said from day 1 when we offered as a DE we were wrong and he was a TE all the way, Iowa offered as a TE and he went there and rolled. But we never once lost a kid that was rated Keagan Johnson's level to an out of state school this past decade, and now we are letting one go to Iowa. We have lost 9 kids with Nebraska scholarship offers to a school that takes kids we don't want and turns them all-conference and into draft picks. What monster are we creating now that they are getting guys we actually want? It's actually scary to think about.
Bottom line Wisconsin Minnesota and Iowa coach up We coach down

The scouts drool over Austin Allen, but for some reason he hasn't shown out on Saturdays. He's been a bit inconsistent. I haven't been able to watch Vokolek play actual football, but Frost can tell Fidone that is what we envision you being. Vokolek is Stoll blocking and Allen in the passing game.

We need 2020 to happen, because the vision recruiting pitch is gone. These 2021 and 2022 guys need to see results. If we don't play 2020 and have to recruit vision for our fourth recruiting class, we won't finish higher than Iowa in recruiting rankings.
Pal we have out recruited Iowa the last seven years and what has it got us. 1-6. Ouch

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back