• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

what do you do when your team skips town?

what do you do when your team skips town?

• stick with the team

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • pick a new team that's winning

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pick a new team in a city i enjoy

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • follow only players

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

70county

Scout Team
20 Year Member
Oakland officially loses all professional sports with the A's heading to Vegas.

Here i am, facing the reality that my team is uprooting its 'rooted in oakland' via philadelphia and kansas city self and trying to plant itself in the desert. what do i do?

here's my story if you care to read:

In todays world, it almost seems out of place for a sports fan under 35-40 years old to root for a team they are not directly connected too. Often, even if they are they follow a player/players on other teams across the country. Where has the loyal sports fan gone? Free agency has changed it. The internet, tv deals, commercials, sponsorship and league revenue all have contributed.
But im the ol guard, you pick a team, and you stick with them through the ups and the downs. Now that doesn't lead to many Padres fans in the midwest as its good policy to pick a winner if your gonna be sticking with them through the thick and the thin. So here i am, born in Nebraska 1972 and as a young lad its understandable (more understandable to some than others) i grew up a fan of Dallas Cowboys. and as much as the NBA (conspiracy) in desperation to save the league pushed everything into the east coast vs west coast, black vs white, showtime vs the leprechaun, Larry vs Magic, Boston vs los angeles. i gravitated towards the real savior of the NBA in Doctor J and the Philadelphia 76ers. admittedly, i didn't give baseball a commitment too early, as it wasn't until the A's brought back Rickey Henderson that cemented the deal. As the 90's rolled in and my teams were almost all on an upswing the physical defensive minded new jersey devils with the all czech line pulled me in...
Yes the 90's were a good decade but the reality of your teams also hitting the bottom is real. my high school days were marred with the Cornhuskers 'not able to win the big one' (even though the 'big one' always seemed to be vs the national champ) and the Cowboys going 3-13 and 1-15. the historically great Sixers team of 83 had fallin by the way side with the retirement of the Doctor (Julius Erving) and the "Boston Strangler" (Andrew Toney) along with trades of HOF Moses Malone for jeff Ruland and cliff robinson on the same day they traded the #1 pick (brad Daugherty) for roy Hinson only to be followed a few years later by trading 'sir' Charles Barkley for Jeff Hornecek and outdated computer cables (later to be discovered as extension cords without ends)
Im a traditionalist, i have watched many games/hightlights of games i could not possible remember and many that took place before i was born. So the tradition of the 'Swinging A's" the spirit of '67' Wilt Chamberlain led Sixers and the 'next years champion' Cowboys holds real value. I can not for the life of me understand the younger generation of fans than don't care about the history of there team as they don't really have teams past the current players they follow from there fantasy teams. Player is traded, ya buy a new hat. Player retires, ya pick a new player.
I preach, to anyone that will listen (very few) that if you pick a team you stick with them. Up or down, good or bad and the only time you pick a new team is if they hire you or your team skips town or no longer exists. Well here i am, at the crossroads. the Oakland Athletic's, the 'Bash Brothers' the 'swinging A's' are being forced out of Oakland like the Raiders and Warriors before them. And i have a decision to make. i don't live in Oakland, don't have any financial tie to speak of. Perhaps games would be easier to get to in las vegas compared to Oakland but I've seen my teams on the road more than at home outside of the cornhuskers. I have not yet heard of a name change or a make over taking place and that would be vital in my decision. i am a uniform aficionado, so perhaps this little exit stage left by the A's allows a more comfortable transition into dawning other team caps... baseball whore if you will?
Time will dust off my decision as this thing is moving on weather i make up my mind or not. The Athletics making it easy by winning the world series or even A series* this year is facing awful long odds. Perhaps they abandon their long history in Vegas and starting over is inevitable. I put this here on the baseball board as a response to @Black41FlashReverse MLB thread but added the poll to get better read on everyones take. What are your thoughts Husker nation?

Edit* thank you Kansas City

Last edited:

Stick with the team, at least that’s what I would do. It sucks, trust me, I have been there. But you will grow to love them over time.

They should change their name to the Aces but still keep the A’s logo just in different colors.

It's interesting.

My teams have always been 'picked' organically and there has always been a geographic tie.

Nebraska, because we were stationed at Offutt in the late '60's and early '70's. Great time to start watching college football.

Kansas City Royals, again geographically, because they were the first major league team I saw in person. I moved to Colorado, but continued to follow the Royals even after the Colorado Rockies expansion franchise came to town.

Denver Broncos. Same as KC. Geographically I'd moved to Denver, first NFL game I saw in person.

Colorado Avalanche, ditto.

I've moved all over the Southeast US and still follow those teams. People I've met down here are always wondering why I don't adopt a 'local' team or teams and I've always answered 'Why?' I have an allegiance already. I don't need a new team to root for because I moved. I'd say something similar if any of the professional teams moved and weren't replaced.

I'm assuming your Nebraska ties are geographic and the rest happenstance? Good teams as you were becoming aware of the sport? If you have no geographic tie to Oakland, but you're still an A's fan, I don't know why you'd feel compelled to jump ship. Oakland's revenue generated by fans butts in seats and merchandise sales is very weak. They've been financially struggling for many years. If a move to Las Vegas (Yuk) puts them in a better place financially, allows them to be more competitive in salaries and the free agent market, and likely produce a better product on the field, why not support it and enjoy the benefits?

If you'd grown up in Oakland or spent a significant length of time there and were pissed, I'd get it.

Plus, having a team you root for in Vegas has its advantages. I’d love telling my wife I’m flying out to Vegas to catch a couple of series every year. My boss is a big Raiders fan out in the Pacific Northwest. He was pissed at first now he’s all about it.

Geographic tie, same city. Minnesota Twins and St. Paul AAA Saints. Stadiums are less than 10 miles away.

dpjumyfy1jm6lpwi7w9o

I think the farthest cities, LA Dodgers and OKC AAA Dodgers ..... could be wrong

Last edited:
I lived and worked in San Diego was a season ticket Holder for Chargers during that time. Continued being Charger Fan even after employer transfered me back to midwest. When Chargers moved from SD I quit cheering for them and will not Cheer for them again.

Two thoughts. 1) I feel terrible for Oakland. It’s F’d up. 2) The only professional teams I feel loyalty to are the Lakers and Dodgers. If they ever leave, the city has likely suffered a nuclear attack and I am also dead. But in the off chance I’m alive, I’d follow them.

GET TICKETS

Back