• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What changes will we see?

SavageHusker

Red Shirt
5 Year Member
This thread is not about this coach or that coach should be gone or changes we would LIKE to see but will see.. Frost alluded to some changes after the season. Based on Sipple’s article a few weeks back it’s not likely we see wholesale changes but I do think we will see some. Here are my thoughts on changes we will see:

1. One assistant will move on, whether his choice or Scott’s. Maybe even 2. Nebraska truly isn’t for everyone and some of these guys really are not midwesterners.
2. We will see drastic changes in special teams.
3. The recruiting department will be expanded. This year is showing the coaches need a bigger pipeline (board).
4. We WILL see a QB race. Yes AM will start spring #1 but Scott will announce all positions are open.
5. Farniok will move to guard with Benhart manning RT.
6. More/new analysts coming in to help, maybe even an old hand like a Jerry Kill or someone like that.

Scott won’t make wholesale changes but he will make some changes and will have a blank checkbook to do as he would like.

Last edited:
Good post but why is everyone stuck on (5) Benhart? Guy's a freshman, freshmen and RS Freshmen tend to struggle on the line the first year. I remember Farniok was going to be "The Savior" at RT and we saw how that worked out. So why the hype for Benhart as if this kid steps in at RT as a freshman snd magically we are light years better there?

Good post but why is everyone stuck on (5) Benhart? Guy's a freshman, freshmen and RS Freshmen tend to struggle on the line the first year. I remember Farniok was going to be "The Savior" at RT and we saw how that worked out. So why the hype for Benhart as if this kid steps in at RT as a freshman snd magically we are light years better there?

Agree. I love Benhart, but in brief viewings this year, I also realized he wasn't completely ready to take over there. There aren't easy or quick fixes on the OL. you need to build and build and build so that you have a decent starting rotation and then have depth.

I think he's ready for depth next year, but it's a stretch to feel confident about being able to move Farniok. I'm also of the opinion that Farniok isn't a sure thing for us inside either (NFL level his shot is inside, but we aren't exactly like most NFL teams either).

FWIW, I think the OL is low on my list of concerns for next year. I thought they played really well down the stretch. If we get good QB play, we'll see an offense that will run up a lot of yards

I hope there are one or two staff changes. Walters recruits okay but hasn't developed anyone at the WR position. DeWitt recruits poorly and has responsibility for OLBs and Special Teams (both very weak areas on the team). I have mixed feelings on the Mad Scientist QB Coach. Verduzco seems to recruit pretty well, but he has to get at least some blame for Martinez's significant regression.

On the topic of staff changes, here are a few examples I read about from other Power 5 programs today:
-- Herm Edwards (year 2) fired three assistants, including the OC, following a 7-win season.
-- Tom Herman (year 3) fired three assistants, including the DC, following a 7-win season. Herman also demoted his OC... a guy named Tim Beck.

This thread is not about this coach or that coach should be gone or changes we would LIKE to see but will see.. Frost alluded to some changes after the season. Based on Sipple’s article a few weeks back it’s not likely we see wholesale changes but I do think we will see some. Here are my thoughts on changes we will see:

1. One assistant will move on, whether his choice or Scott’s. Maybe even 2. Nebraska truly isn’t for everyone and some of these guys really are not midwesterners.
3. The recruiting department will be expanded. This year is showing the coaches need a bigger pipeline (board).
4. We WILL see a QB race. Yes AM will start spring #1 but Scott will announce all positions are open.
6. More/new analysts coming in to help, maybe even an old hand like a Jerry Kill or someone like that.

Scott won’t make wholesale changes but he will make some changes and will have a blank checkbook to do as he would like.

My reactions and thoughts
1) Only if the assistant wants to move on do we see any changes. Frost is fiercely loyal and just two years into a rebuild, with the UCF success blueprint with this staff, he will give one more year to all. After 2020 this will become clearer with the talent now almost 100% his recruits. I saw a lot of good plays both sides of the ball, poor player execution. Speed, and time in system should hekp that going forward.
2) Yes X10. A healthy Dewitt gives us options to either shift assignments, better utilize talent and watch film
3) Relationships matter and we now have 3 years in. We have one more year of being able to sell 'restore the order'. We need to see success in 2020 or this starts to work gainst us. Not sure we can do more to pull the coasts, midwest recruiting is a touch pull WI and IA show development is key as the top guys just don;t come north/east.
4) If AM shows last years form I think we see some special plays for McAffery (sp) and more AM all season. Agree this will be a competition.
5) Yes, I like the way the line gelled, however we have some redshirted players that were recruited to fit the Frost offense mold that could push some of the old guard.. This is one key area to watch.
6) I would love to see Jerry Kill come in and assist. I think he is an awesome analytical football mind that knows how to maximaize talent. I would guess we see more navy seal or other programs in the off season too.

My add
7) The defensive line is my biggest worry. We lose all three on the front with no clear cut replacements. LB play can't get worse so worried, but not the top worry. I hope we watch the end of the game films from the other 3-4 teams showing blitzing and QB pressure when the opponent is in obvious passing downs. We have to get to the QB more effectively consistently.

I hope there are one or two staff changes. Walters recruits okay but hasn't developed anyone at the WR position. DeWitt recruits poorly and has responsibility for OLBs and Special Teams (both very weak areas on the team). I have mixed feelings on the Mad Scientist QB Coach. Verduzco seems to recruit pretty well, but he has to get at least some blame for Martinez's significant regression.

On the topic of staff changes, here are a few examples I read about from other Power 5 programs today:
-- Herm Edwards (year 2) fired three assistants, including the OC, following a 7-win season.
-- Tom Herman (year 3) fired three assistants, including the DC, following a 7-win season. Herman also demoted his OC... a guy named Tim Beck.
Should've clipped him in the ear with a nunchuck for good measure...:Biggrin:

I think we will see the second coming of Christ before we see an assistant coach givin his walking papers.Might not be the answer anyway.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.

I think we will see the second coming of Christ before we see an assistant coach givin his walking papers.Might not be the answer anyway.Jmo.Keep the faith.GBR.
How else should these assistants be evaulated other then the performance shown on the field by their players? I would hope the fierce loyalty should be to the Husker program not to individual assistant coaches if they aren't getting it done. These coaches aren't making hundreds of thousands a year to lose and provide excuses why things aren't getting done imo.

If an assistant isn't getting it done but there are extenuating circumstances (major injuries) then fine. I understand why they aren't replaced. However if all we have is a pile of excuses and nothing is done then something is drastically wrong imo. Many seem convinced it's better to have sub par results then to sacrifice continuity which perhaps is correct. If however after lets say 3 seasons the program is still mired in losing and showing no progress then obviously something must change.

At the salaries Nebraska is paying coaches I honestly believe it's reasonible to expect decent results after 3 years. Just have to wait and see what happens next season. I'm not interested in providing ready made excuses about the schedule is tough for 2020. Lets see some progress not losing to teams we should beat and perhaps knocking off a few teams we're not supposed to beat.

No coaches will leave unless they choose to on their own.

No coaches will leave unless they choose to on their own.
I hope you are wrong.
2sv0mj.jpg

How else should these assistants be evaulated other then the performance shown on the field by their players? I would hope the fierce loyalty should be to the Husker program not to individual assistant coaches if they aren't getting it done. These coaches aren't making hundreds of thousands a year to lose and provide excuses why things aren't getting done imo.

If an assistant isn't getting it done but there are extenuating circumstances (major injuries) then fine. I understand why they aren't replaced. However if all we have is a pile of excuses and nothing is done then something is drastically wrong imo. Many seem convinced it's better to have sub par results then to sacrifice continuity which perhaps is correct. If however after lets say 3 seasons the program is still mired in losing and showing no progress then obviously something must change.

At the salaries Nebraska is paying coaches I honestly believe it's reasonable to expect decent results after 3 years. Just have to wait and see what happens next season. I'm not interested in providing ready made excuses about the schedule is tough for 2020. Lets see some progress not losing to teams we should beat and perhaps knocking off a few teams we're not supposed to beat.
When a position group is under performing you first evaluate why? It could be talent, circumstances that are uncoaching related as you mentioned. Fans in this case need to realize that you dont just fire when things arent well. Have we not learned this as fans yet? If it has to do with poor coaching, then you have a second decision. Is it best to work with the current staff member to improve the situation and get better. Or is it best to move on from him?
There are many reasons you dont just Fire someone. Maybe theres no good replacement and starting over with a new position coach would be worse or counter productive. Maybe the coach is a good coach but theres a few changes youd like to have them make to resolve it. Maybe theres a lot of potential in this coach and you dont want to lose him because another year and his experience takes off. Maybe its a combination of a bunch of things, all that can be resolved.

In other words, performance on the field may have nothing to do with the position coach. or It may have something to do with the position coach but the best resolution for a variety of reasons isnt to fire. or It may be firing is best.
But as fans, to assume that a position coach sucks but our coach keeps him because hes a buddy and is just going to let him keep sucking is ridiculous. The HC will either make things better with the current coach or fire him. But firing is not just a, "oh things arent going well.......so just fire, fire away" That, IMO, is stupid.

Last edited:
Th

At the salaries Nebraska is paying coaches I honestly believe it's reasonible to expect decent results after 3 years. Just have to wait and see what happens next season. I'm not interested in providing ready made excuses about the schedule is tough for 2020. Lets see some progress not losing to teams we should beat and perhaps knocking off a few teams we're not supposed to beat.
ere is no justification for waiting 3 years. We were basically dead last in special teams. For life of me why would you give this person another ?

Warning, if you mention Herm and ASU around here the faithful tend to go nutso. Interesting tho that Herm removes 3 assistants that didn’t fit. Off a 7 win, bowl bound team? How is this 60-something year old dude out coaching the 5 million dollar man?

Last edited:
When a position group is under performing you first evaluate why? It could be talent, circumstances that are uncoaching related as you mentioned. Fans in this case need to realize that you dont just fire when things arent well. Have we not learned this as fans yet? If it has to do with poor coaching, then you have a second decision. Is it best to work with the current staff member to improve the situation and get better. Or is it best to move on from him?
There are many reasons you dont just Fire someone. Maybe theres no good replacement and starting over with a new position coach would be worse or counter productive. Maybe the coach is a good coach but theres a few changes youd like to have them make to resolve it. Maybe theres a lot of potential in this coach and you dont want to lose him because another year and his experience takes off. Maybe its a combination of a bunch of things, all that can be resolved.

In other words, performance on the field may have nothing to do with the position coach. or It may have something to do with the position coach but the best resolution for a variety of reasons isnt to fire. or It may be firing is best.
But as fans, to assume that a position coach sucks but our coach keeps him because hes a buddy and is just going to let him keep sucking is ridiculous. The HC will either make things better with the current coach or fire him. But firing is not just a, "oh things arent going well.......so just fire, fire away" That, IMO, is stupid.
I'm not advocating firing as a first resort unless there are specific reasons for such. On the other hand making excuses for under performing areas that a coach is directly responsible for is something else again. Poor perfomance on the field (special teams as example) is imo directly related to coaching or why have a coach at all? These are jobs that absolutely require positive results and if improvements aren't made then what's the point of keeping a particular coach? I didn't say INSTANT positive results but how much time is enough time? 2, 3, 4 even 5 years to have a winning record? When is long enough, enough to see tangable positive results? If a coach isn't getting it done after several years what's the point of keeping said coach? More of the same?

I'll say this one more time and that's the fierce loyalty should be to the program not the coaching staff imo. It's all well and good for the HC to take care and mentor his assistant coaches but there also needs to see positive results. I've never been one to buy into a bunch of excuses and I was in command function in law enforcement for many years. Either you get the job done or you don't and excuses eventually will get your fired. I'm hoping things will get turned around next season but right now I honestly don't have any good reason to believe that's going to happen. Sincerly hope I'm wrong because I've been a big fan of HCSF and we all want to see the program return to at least respectability.

Last edited:

We got it you don't wanna fire anyone, how about just continuing to throw the players under the bus? That should do it right? I have seen enough of this to know how its going to turn out without any change. Our schedule is brutal next year and I cannot wait to hear that bounce up as the number one excuse for losing. Doing the same thing and getting the same results is not going to endear Frost or his coaches to those footing the tab. Frost has to man up and break some eggs or its going to be his head on the block sooner than later.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back