• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What changes will we see?

All I know is Nebraska does less with more than a lot of other teams. Just once I would like to see us overachieve!
Well said. I laugh when I think about all the investments made even starting under Riley to build analytical capabilities.

when you objectively look at our play calling, game management, half time adjustments this season you would want to throw up . There’s no evidence we play smarter or are cutting edge despite all that extra spend

I'm not advocating firing as a first resort unless there are specific reasons for such. On the other hand making excuses for under performing areas that a coach is directly responsible for is something else again. Poor perfomance on the field (special teams as example) is imo directly related to coaching or why have a coach at all? These are jobs that absolutely require positive results and if improvements aren't made then what's the point of keeping a particular coach? I didn't say INSTANT positive results but how much time is enough time? 2, 3, 4 even 5 years to have a winning record? When is long enough, enough to see tangable positive results? If a coach isn't getting it done after several years what's the point of keeping said coach? More of the same?

I'll say this one more time and that's the fierce loyalty should be to the program not the coaching staff imo. It's all well and good for the HC to take care and mentor his assistant coaches but there also needs to see positive results. I've never been one to buy into a bunch of excuses and I was in command function in law enforcement for many years. Either you get the job done or you don't and excuses eventually will get your fired. I'm hoping things will get turned around next season but right now I honestly don't have any good reason to believe that's going to happen. Sincerly hope I'm wrong because I've been a big fan of HCSF and we all want to see the program return to at least respectability.
We are closer to each than seems. If a coach just sux, dont waste time get rid of him. Just do an evaluation first to see if thats the problem.
And as far as ST is, we may need a reassigment there. However, I had someone tell me ( no verification) that we are playing a lot of walk ons on ST. So is it coaching, or is it the decision to play 3rd and 4th strings on ST that is the problem? How much of the kickers struggles are Dewitts fault?
Fire the guy if he sux, but lets correct the problem not just ask for heads to roll

Last edited:
We got it you don't wanna fire anyone, how about just continuing to throw the players under the bus? That should do it right? I have seen enough of this to know how its going to turn out without any change. Our schedule is brutal next year and I cannot wait to hear that bounce up as the number one excuse for losing. Doing the same thing and getting the same results is not going to endear Frost or his coaches to those footing the tab. Frost has to man up and break some eggs or its going to be his head on the block sooner than later.
Boy you really read what i said didnt you? Clearly your one of those that just blindly fires people left and right without using any evaluation. That gets you nowhere. I clearly said fire where necessary but dont fire if its not the best way to resolve it. I for one have lost respect for the way that frost has threw kids under the bus. How do we know that HCSF isnt the main problem here? quite frankly I think it might be, but cant fire himself.
yea, duh, doing the same thing wont work. What I stated was make corrections or fire. either one could work depending on the evaluation. You use your head, not your testosterone "oh fire everyone" lol

We got it you don't wanna fire anyone, how about just continuing to throw the players under the bus? That should do it right? I have seen enough of this to know how its going to turn out without any change. Our schedule is brutal next year and I cannot wait to hear that bounce up as the number one excuse for losing. Doing the same thing and getting the same results is not going to endear Frost or his coaches to those footing the tab. Frost has to man up and break some eggs or its going to be his head on the block sooner than later.
Everyone wanted Charlie fired in 1987 to 1990. Including you Im sure. But TO did an evaluation, decided that we would go to the 4-3 and put speed at lb instead of firing mcbride. Turned out to be the right decsion. All im saying, is make sure firing is the solution to the problem before doing it. Unlike you, who says just pull out the six shooter and start firing away until everones dead and figure it out later LOL

Last edited:
I hope there are one or two staff changes. Walters recruits okay but hasn't developed anyone at the WR position. DeWitt recruits poorly and has responsibility for OLBs and Special Teams (both very weak areas on the team). I have mixed feelings on the Mad Scientist QB Coach. Verduzco seems to recruit pretty well, but he has to get at least some blame for Martinez's significant regression.

On the topic of staff changes, here are a few examples I read about from other Power 5 programs today:
-- Herm Edwards (year 2) fired three assistants, including the OC, following a 7-win season.
-- Tom Herman (year 3) fired three assistants, including the DC, following a 7-win season. Herman also demoted his OC... a guy named Tim Beck.
Not really going to argue, but you do realize Dewitt was out most the year fighting cancer? Hard to make a judgement on someone when they aren't doing the job because of illness. And, to me, the inside LBs were the worst and actually regressed in many ways from 2018. Why not call for Ruud to be gone?

Last edited:
If he would come, I would have Frank Beamer come in and advise on special teams. Dude coached them even when head coach, and they were ALWAYS stellar.

Agreed, not just Beamer but bring in some experienced evaluators that can help on all three phases.

Not really going to argue, but you do realize Dewitt was out most the year fighting cancer? Hard to make a judgement on someone when they aren't doing the job because of illness. And, to me, the inside LBs were the worst and actually regressed in many ways from 2018. Why not call for Ruud to be gone?

Yes, I am aware of that. I want to be sympathetic from a human standpoint, but two years of lackluster play from his units and poor recruiting results are problematic. Fair point on Ruud, though he at least brought in a very good (on paper) recruiting class at ILB last year.

I wish DeWitt nothing but the best health wise. He's made close to $1 Million (total) in his first two years, and we would owe him another $450k for a buyout. So it's not like we would be sending him to the poor house. Maybe offer him an admin or analyst position, which I think Texas did with one of their underperforming assistants.

Last edited:
3 things I would like to see change(Special Teams is a change that deserves its own wing in a library for discussion)

1. Great point on the "analyst" positions.
Poor Nicky at Alabama uses this as 1 year apprentice reclamation projects.
That is an untapped goldmine HCSF should address.

2. One of the main points of a 3-4 is the flexibility on any play. Are you bringing 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7. DC Chins has shown very little ability to confuse any QB. That is the biggest change that needs to occur.

3. Situational Substitution on the D. Why have 3 300lbs out there on 3rd and long. Bring in faster players that hopefully can wreak havoc. Totally preposterous and lack of any foresight to have 3 big boys out there the last series, especially with immobile Iowa QB.

Warning, if you mention Herm and ASU around here the faithful tend to go nutso. Interesting tho that Herm removes 3 assistants that didn’t fit. Off a 7 win, bowl bound team? How is this 60-something year old dude out coaching the 5 million dollar man?

You seem to be one of the few that actually think he is. Also, when he put his staff together, how many of those 3 he just fired had been with him before and for how long?? Maybe they just do not fit with him or the rest of the staff. It is EASY to fire someone, but hiring someone better is usually a challenge.

Well said. I laugh when I think about all the investments made even starting under Riley to build analytical capabilities.

when you objectively look at our play calling, game management, half time adjustments this season you would want to throw up . There’s no evidence we play smarter or are cutting edge despite all that extra spend
What Dallas said. If there is a program with more of a “doing less with more” problem than ours, I’d love to know who it is.

Last edited:

You seem to be one of the few that actually think he is. Also, when he put his staff together, how many of those 3 he just fired had been with him before and for how long?? Maybe they just do not fit with him or the rest of the staff. It is EASY to fire someone, but hiring someone better is usually a challenge.
Herm’s CEO type management which was widely criticized may not be so bad after all. You don’t get overly attached to the staff and if someone isn’t doing the job then it’s easier to let them go. Or in this case, ASU wants to try a different offensive strategy. Not saying it’s foolproof but it’s worked better than most thought it would.

If he would come, I would have Frank Beamer come in and advise on special teams. Dude coached them even when head coach, and they were ALWAYS stellar.
This is exactly the kind of help that might actually help imo! We DO NOT have a wealth of assistant coaching experience at almost every position nor does HCSF. I really hope Frost reaches out to some great retired coaches for at least suggestions or recommendations.

Herm’s CEO type management which was widely criticized may not be so bad after all. You don’t get overly attached to the staff and if someone isn’t doing the job then it’s easier to let them go. Or in this case, ASU wants to try a different offensive strategy. Not saying it’s foolproof but it’s worked better than most thought it would.
Herm seems to have a pretty darn good handle at getting that program completely back on track and very competitive. May not work for Frost but then again the first 2 years of what we're doing hasn't exactly been a smashing success imo.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back