• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What BBQ Equipment Do You Have?

Yes. Just in the backyard. Brisket, wings, Boston butts, ribs, etc. Very efficient way to smoke, especially in the winter. I did a Brisket last year for 15 hours at 235, and the temp never wavered and it was a high of 19 that day.

And therein lies the beauty of the BGE. I've wanted a kamado style grill since a buddy hipped me to them about 15 years ago. He's had his that long and it hasn't missed a beat. Same dude also introduced me to beer can chicken.

And therein lies the beauty of the BGE. I've wanted a kamado style grill since a buddy hipped me to them about 15 years ago. He's had his that long and it hasn't missed a beat. Same dude also introduced me to beer can chicken.

A Komodo was my Birthday/Fathers Day present...that I didn't want. I was so, so wrong. It takes a little fiddling with to get the temp right for different styles of cooking, but man once you do, it's freaking amazing. Did a butt a few weekends back and it was far and away the best I'd ever done. Amazed. Don't get that mother too hot though. You'll spend hours cooling it down.

A Komodo was my Birthday/Fathers Day present...that I didn't want. I was so, so wrong. It takes a little fiddling with to get the temp right for different styles of cooking, but man once you do, it's freaking amazing. Did a butt a few weekends back and it was far and away the best I'd ever done. Amazed. Don't get that mother too hot though. You'll spend hours cooling it down.

I envy you. I have got to get one. My only concern while using it for bbq is the cooking surface. How many square inches of surface do you have?

I envy you. I have got to get one. My only concern while using it for bbq is the cooking surface. How many square inches of surface do you have?

It's a two tier grill, though the lower tier is only roughly 3" below the upper grill which limits what you can put on each layer. It's also a mother to load both layers and do anything but slow smoke. It's listed at around 600 square inches, but for grilling you're really looking at half of that. If you're looking for quantity, this ain't it. I've done seared steaks, burgers, chicken breasts, drums, roasting hens, ribs and a butt. I've been amazed at how little charcoal it uses and how long it maintains a heat hot enough to cook with not to mention how long you can smoke with the thing. I did have some minor user error the first couple of uses where I didn't pay enough attention to the temp when it was ramping up and that bitch got way too hot. I figured it out pretty quick and am sold in a big way. Cooked the butt for about 10 hours and it was insanely perfect. I'd have never bought it for myself because I thought it was just a gimmick. I'm glad momma took care of me.

It's a two tier grill, though the lower tier is only roughly 3" below the upper grill which limits what you can put on each layer. It's also a mother to load both layers and do anything but slow smoke. It's listed at around 600 square inches, but for grilling you're really looking at half of that. If you're looking for quantity, this ain't it. I've done seared steaks, burgers, chicken breasts, drums, roasting hens, ribs and a butt. I've been amazed at how little charcoal it uses and how long it maintains a heat hot enough to cook with not to mention how long you can smoke with the thing. I did have some minor user error the first couple of uses where I didn't pay enough attention to the temp when it was ramping up and that bitch got way too hot. I figured it out pretty quick and am sold in a big way. Cooked the butt for about 10 hours and it was insanely perfect. I'd have never bought it for myself because I thought it was just a gimmick. I'm glad momma took care of me.

Excellent info, thanks Crab. I need one. ;)

Speaking of surface area.....

When I bought the Yoder 640, I was thinking I reached and didn't need something so big. Man, I was sooooo wrong. Best thing I did was go bigger. Can't tell you how many times I've used every inch of those grates + an additional rack. If you are thinking about making jerky on the smoker, surface area is a must.

We've now migrated into the realm of chicken jerky. The kids love it. It's probably the most healthy thing they eat. Pure protein, low calorie snacks. Still messing with the marinade. The last one with garlic.......let's just say a little garlic goes a long ways.

That I do. I've used my gas grill exactly 3 times in the last 2 years.

I'm with ya man. They're quick and easy, but soul-less. The grilling version of a microwave.

It's the reason I haven't posted in this thread before. I have a gas grill, and well, I haven't traded in my empty tank for a new one in over 3 years now. I find that sad actually, as even grilling on a gas grill is better than not grilling, but I haven't done it in years.... Where do I turn in my man card?
embarrassed-smiley-face.gif

I'm with ya man. They're quick and easy, but soul-less. The grilling version of a microwave.

LOL, that is the perfect way to put that.

It's the reason I haven't posted in this thread before. I have a gas grill, and well, I haven't traded in my empty tank for a new one in over 3 years now. I find that sad actually, as even grilling on a gas grill is better than not grilling, but I haven't done it in years.... Where do I turn in my man card?

There's still hope. Get yourself one of these. I just bought one and had it delivered to my kid in Florida. Her Dirty Sailor husband has a lot to learn but I'm steering that boy in the right direction.

Last edited:
Speaking of surface area.....

When I bought the Yoder 640, I was thinking I reached and didn't need something so big. Man, I was sooooo wrong. Best thing I did was go bigger. Can't tell you how many times I've used every inch of those grates + an additional rack. If you are thinking about making jerky on the smoker, surface area is a must.

We've now migrated into the realm of chicken jerky. The kids love it. It's probably the most healthy thing they eat. Pure protein, low calorie snacks. Still messing with the marinade. The last one with garlic.......let's just say a little garlic goes a long ways.

Absolutely. That extra cooking surface is indispensable and you always find that you need more.

There's still hope. Get yourself one of these. I just bought one and had it delivered to my kid in Florida. Her Dirty Sailor husband has a lot to learn but I'm steering that boy in the right direction.
One of the best grills I've ever had..... I loved that thing..... I should just break down and buy a new one.... or, refill my damn tank.... I don't "smoke" my meats.... lol... so I am sure there are nicer grills out there, but I literally used to love my Weber...

Dude, Lowe's, Home Depot, hell Walmart if you can stand the 'tards, all have some for of grilling apparatus. Live a little. :Biggrin:

One of the best grills I've ever had..... I loved that thing..... I should just break down and buy a new one.... or, refill my damn tank.... I don't "smoke" my meats.... lol... so I am sure there are nicer grills out there, but I literally used to love my Weber...

I don't think it gets much better than a Weber. Only 150 bucks and you'll never need another one.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back