• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are we doing interviewing Scott Sutton and contacting Rob Jeter?

Who does all the recruting for Kentucky? Bring him in. Point is none of us think Roy Williams Bill Self of Coach K do all their own recruting. The is someone out pounding the pavement learning about kids and bringing them to the attention of the big time programs. Why not talk to one of those type of people and ofer them a chance to coach their own team?

Who does all the recruting for Kentucky? Bring him in. Point is none of us think Roy Williams Bill Self of Coach K do all their own recruting. The is someone out pounding the pavement learning about kids and bringing them to the attention of the big time programs. Why not talk to one of those type of people and ofer them a chance to coach their own team?​

When you are at Kansas, Duke, or North Carolina, you don't recruit, you pick and choose.

Yes but you also get a ton of film and you do a bunch of scouting so you can see what is the best players available. Watching that much film and talking to that many high school coaches you build relationships. I would gladly take a player Kentucky passes on if the kid can play. You have to start somewhere and getting hand me downs is not a bad way to start. You can not tell me Coach K wouldn't call Steve Wojo and say hey this kid is a nice player but he isn't Duke nice but he would fit well with your team.

Yes but you also get a ton of film and you do a bunch of scouting so you can see what is the best players available. Watching that much film and talking to that many high school coaches you build relationships. I would gladly take a player Kentucky passes on if the kid can play. You have to start somewhere and getting hand me downs is not a bad way to start. You can not tell me Coach K wouldn't call Steve Wojo and say hey this kid is a nice player but he isn't Duke nice but he would fit well with your team.​

Agree, but heres the thing: When you are Nebraska, you have to convince a kid to come here and play. When you are Kentucky, you tell a kid he can come there and play.

Last edited:

Agree, but heres the thing: When you are Nebraska, you have to convince a kid to come here and play. When you are Kentucky, you tell a kid he can come there and play.
There are maybe a dozen blue blood programs like Kentucky. UNC, Duke, Ohio State, Kansas, UCLA, Michigan State, Syracuse (maybe), UConn (maybe).

If Iowa State can make the NCAA and win, and Pittsburgh can be successful, Wisconsin make 6 consectuive NCAAs ... then NU with the right leadership can as well.

This, history/tradition, and $$$

Illinois just offered Smart 2.5 mill.

Easier to recruit to Illinois, easier to win at Illinois.

A coach can come in at Illinois and win immediately, not to mention the program has "name recognition" that Nebraska is years, if not decades, away from achieving.

Illinois is known as a basketball school. Nebraska is known as a coaching dead end.

'05 was the last good year they have had!!! That team had Deron williams. They are and have been mediocre since if you ask me. A successful coach will be successful anywhere, including NU.

Last edited:
I still say we can get a name like possibly Danny Manning or someone along that line. Someone who is at a big time program but not YET that next up and comer until he has a couple more years. Still hoping for Groce though.

Danny has been at KU for sometime, and we all know that is one of the top if not the top program in the nation. Bill Self is also in my mind one of the top 3 coaches in the nation. While I prefer a "splash hire" with where we are at(New facility and new to the Big 10)currently, I would be more than happy to give Mr. Manning a shot. Just my :2cents:.

NU, apparently, flaming out on the high profile MM coaches (smart, Marshall, maybe groce)....maybe they should skip guys like the CSU coach and go straight to the high level assistant route. And I don't mean Spinelli. I mean someone at UNC, KU, Mich St, etc.

NU, apparently, flaming out on the high profile MM coaches (smart, Marshall, maybe groce)....maybe they should skip guys like the CSU coach and go straight to the high level assistant route. And I don't mean Spinelli. I mean someone at UNC, KU, Mich St, etc.

I agree. Like I said, I think Manning may be a good fit and I think it's something people would be excited about. Like you said in another thread, just because a guy is the 4th, 8th, or whatever choice doesn't mean they can't end up actually being the best fit and best coach.

Agree 100% about offering Danny Manning a shot. I like Steve Wojo from Duke and his name is not brought up by anyone but me. I would love someone with some fire power to come in and work these kids into Basketball players. What about a big named AAU coach or Bobby Hurley (working as an assistant at Road Island).

Osborne would NEVER hire someone that was only a high level assistant at a major program. He needs someone with head coaching experience, not just work as a coordina...wait.

The list of men's basketball coaches who apparently don't want the Nebraska job is growing.
Three sources Tuesday told The World-Herald that Wichita State's Gregg Marshall was offered the NU job, likely at an annual salary of at least $2 million.

Two of those sources said Marshall has turned it down, while the third said Marshall wasn't showing any interest. Two of those sources have direct access to Marshall, who didn't return messages left by The World-Herald.
Two other sources said that Nebraska reached out through a third party to Gonzaga's Mark Few and Colorado's Tad Boyle to gauge interest, but neither wanted to be involved.
Interviews on Tuesday with three coaches who are still in the NCAA tournament or have direct ties to such teams said the coaching grapevine is in virtual agreement in the following thoughts on VCU's Shaka Smart and Ohio's John Groce:
Both are expected to stay at their schools if they don't find jobs they want at higher-profile basketball schools than Nebraska.
Last week, sources confirmed that UCLA's Ben Howland turned down an offer from Nebraska.
Also apparently out of contention is former UNLV star, NBA player and college and NBA coach Reggie Theus.
A coaching friend of Theus said Tuesday night that a high-ranking Nebraska official responded to notes seeking entry into the search that Theus "wouldn't be a candidate at this point.''
Nebraska has interviewed Oral Roberts' Scott Sutton and may have directly discussed the job with Colorado State's Tim Miles and Wisconsin-Milwaukee's Rob Jeter.
Tuesday was the 11th day since Nebraska fired Doc Sadler.
Two sources said we offered a job and a third said he wasn't interested. I find it very hard to believe we are running around offering jobs without first even finding out if they are interested. Heck we might even want to interview someone before putting out a contract. But Barfneck wants to make it sound that way. And until the Omaha World Herald names a source to their story I'm going to believe TO who said this:

“Our head men's basketball position has not been offered to any individual at this point and will not be offered until we have fully completed the process. A job offer would not be extended without athletic department officials first having an opportunity to meet in person with that candidate.''

Two sources said we offered a job and a third said he wasn't interested. I find it very hard to believe we are running around offering jobs without first even finding out if they are interested. Heck we might even want to interview someone before putting out a contract. But Barfneck wants to make it sound that way. And until the Omaha World Herald names a source to their story I'm going to believe TO who said this:

“Our head men's basketball position has not been offered to any individual at this point and will not be offered until we have fully completed the process. A job offer would not be extended without athletic department officials first having an opportunity to meet in person with that candidate.''

So these people saying they turned down an "offer" never met with any athletic department officials? :rolfl: Saying "no, I don't want to talk about it" is not the same as turning down an offer at this level. Osborne obviously knew what he was doing saying that in this statement. It makes it clear to everyone in the industry what the true state of play was.

Of course, if they really got an "offer", all the have to do is show they actually interviewed with the hiring manager. If they can.

Barfknecht is really looking bad here not characterizing it as people saying they had no interest.

Last edited:

Barfknecht is really looking bad here not characterizing it as people saying they had no interest

KC Star is saying the same thing as Barfy.

Whether you like Barfy or not, dude has got a stellar reputation among the coaches.

KC Star is saying the same thing as Barfy.

Whether you like Barfy or not, dude has got a stellar reputation among the coaches.

The KC Star is probably getting their information from Barfy's reports.

I like Lee's stuff, and he puts in the work. I have no doubt somebody leaked something of that nature to him, but the reality is that Tom made his statement for a reason. He made his statement when he did for a reason.

Common sense says that Marshall didn't get an offer, which seems to be a common theme with other job openings that his name has been floated.

Did his people leak this to make him look better? Possible. Maybe even likely. Perhaps Marshall isn't as wanted as he wants to believe for whatever reason.

Notice that TO didn't come out with an official statement after the Howland rumors? Probably because we were actually trying to pursue Howland.

But, when Marshall's folk start leaking this rumor, we make a very solid and sensible statement that we are still openly in the process of interviews and that actual offers have not been made.

I do believe that Lee reported what his "sources" passed on to him. What I don't know is the motivation coming from his "sources".

C'mon fRed, you know this is all semantics.

The job was floated by Marshall with a price tag attached, he said (in his best german accent) "NINE" and DONU is left with egg in its face.

In the end, we'll see who NU hires. If it is a Sutton or Jeter, people will be saying, "why didn't we get Marshall"

If it is a Groce or equivalent, nobody will care about Marshall.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back