• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What are we doing interviewing Scott Sutton and contacting Rob Jeter?

C'mon fRed, you know this is all semantics.

The job was floated by Marshall with a price tag attached, he said (in his best german accent) "NINE" and DONU is left with egg in its face.

In the end, we'll see who NU hires. If it is a Sutton or Jeter, people will be saying, "why didn't we get Marshall"

If it is a Groce or equivalent, nobody will care about Marshall.

I respectfully disagree.

I do not believe that Marshall got an offer. There are reasons that he may not be as attractive as he thinks he is.

In fact, to be honest, I believe that both Jeter and Sutton are more serious candidates for our position than Marshall, hence they've been interviewed while Marshall hasn't.

On the other hand, I do believe that if Howland would've had serious interest in regards to the feelers that we extended that we very well would've seen an "official" offer.

Last edited:

The KC Star is probably getting their information from Barfy's reports.

I like Lee's stuff, and he puts in the work. I have no doubt somebody leaked something of that nature to him, but the reality is that Tom made his statement for a reason. He made his statement when he did for a reason.

Common sense says that Marshall didn't get an offer, which seems to be a common theme with other job openings that his name has been floated.

Did his people leak this to make him look better? Possible. Maybe even likely. Perhaps Marshall isn't as wanted as he wants to believe for whatever reason.

Notice that TO didn't come out with an official statement after the Howland rumors? Probably because we were actually trying to pursue Howland.

But, when Marshall's folk start leaking this rumor, we make a very solid and sensible statement that we are still openly in the process of interviews and that actual offers have not been made.

I do believe that Lee reported what his "sources" passed on to him. What I don't know is the motivation coming from his "sources".

Again, it's all about semantics.

"Hey, Gregg (or gregg's peeps)...we are working with Nebraska on their coaching search. You (he) is high on their list of people they want to talk to. Rough terms they are looking at for the right guy are in the neighborhood of 5 years and $2M. Any interest?"

"No."

Everyone is covered. No real "offer" was made likely. But the reality is that he was not interested.

Personally I think Gregg Marshall is a puke. He's a good coach but an insufferable cry-baby. He still hasn't gotten over the Booker Woodfox shot from 3 years ago and he feels like the refs stole the Ill. St. game from them in the conference tourney this year. To the point where he said that he was looking forward to the NCAAs so they could play on a "neutral court". :rolleyes: Can't say I'm disappointed if he's not the guy.

In the end TO will be saying, "the only one we offered the job to took it"

And he won't be lying, will he?

Exactly. An offer won't be made until they know the answer. It's like 99% of marriage proposals. "Hey, baby...IF I asked what would you say?" ;)

I respectfully disagree.

I do not believe that Marshall got an offer. There are reasons that he may not be as attractive as he thinks he is.

In fact, to be honest, I believe that both Jeter and Sutton are more serious candidates for our position than Marshall, hence they've been interviewed while Marshall hasn't.

On the other hand, I do believe that if Howland would've had serious interest in regards to the feelers that we extended that we very well would've seen an "official" offer.

Spin of the century. Marshall is 10x the candidate that Jeter is. Jeter is a joke of a candidate. I see why you are spinning though...you obviously don't want to bag on anyone that hasn't flat out said "no" yet. That way you can praise ANY hire...no matter how underwhelming it might be.

Spin of the century. Marshall is 10x the candidate that Jeter is. Jeter is a joke of a candidate. I see why you are spinning though...you obviously don't want to bag on anyone that hasn't flat out said "no" yet. That way you can praise ANY hire...no matter how underwhelming it might be.

Doesn't make sense.

Somebody that is saying they aren't interested in Nebraska today may very well end up being our next coach.

By the by, if you really read what I said, I did state that I thought we made a serious overture to Howland.

Not Marshall though. At least not at this point.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense.

Somebody that is saying they aren't interested in Nebraska today may very well end up being our next coach.

By the by, if you really read what I said, I did state that I thought we made a serious overture to Howland.

Not Marshall though. At least not at this point.

Maybe I misinterpreted "...in fact Jeter and Suttom may be more serious candidates than marshall." What did you mean by that?

More serious as in "better"?

Or more serious as in "they were interested and therefore that makes them serious candidates".

And, like Nee...I suppose Marshall or whoever could resurface as their own prospects for other jobs diminish.

And are you saying contact was not made with Marshall and he didn't say "no thanks" (whether it was a real offer or not)

Last edited:
Maybe I misinterpreted "...in fact Jeter and Suttom may be more serious candidates than marshall." What did you mean by that?

More serious as in "better"?

Or more serious as in "they were interested and therefore that makes them serious candidates".

And, like Nee...I suppose Marshall or whoever could resurface as their own prospects for other jobs diminish.

And are you saying contact was not made with Marshall and he didn't say "no thanks" (whether it was a real offer or not)

More serious in that Jeter and Sutton have actually interviewed.

I do not believe that there has been any contact from anybody representing Nebraska with Marshall at this point in time, nevermind leaks from "sources" representing him.

I do believe that Lee is passing on information that he was given by people that are representing Marshall's story and are tied close enough to Marshall that they would have the possibility of knowing.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back