• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What an enormous upgrade!

Couldn't agree more. The sky is falling crowd will not agree. Oh well. Verdu and Austin were awful. Lubick was just there. MJ is a huge upgrade. Hate losing Tuioti. But the RB coach gets us back into Texas as does signing Thompson as it opens eyes. Busch is a huge upgrade in coaching and recruiting

The "sky is falling" crowd were saying our previous assistants should have been fired long ago. And I'd say most of that same crowd sees the new assistants as upgrades. The biggest key is getting Frost away from the offense. That was his offense and his play calling for the past four years. So if that changes with the new hires, the offense certainly could improve.

I’m with @Frosty1980. On paper these look like significant upgrades, and I would love for them to be. But I’m waiting to see the product on the field.

GBR!
That’s how I think both perceived negative and positive posters should be right now. It’s been a long long time since our team was good. I think no one should totally buy in without some results on the field. I’m tired of the hype and koolaid. It’s time to nut up or shut up. If Frost can’t do it awell no big deal on to the next guy. Of course we all hope he can do it.

4 out of our 5 new positions are an upgrade, with Tuioto being the significant loss here.
Sounds about right, though I am kind of in "wait and see" mode with Raiola and Applewhite. Their predecessors didn't set the bar too high, so just by virtue of that they likely will be upgrades.

Joseph was a great hire, and Whipple is coming off a successful stint at Pitt.

We don't know anything just yet.. All coaches need to perform to make NU better. I need action, not words!

Like mentioned above 100% upgrade on paper, but paper doesn't put NU in top 10 contention
And had we the ability to absolutely ascertain the relative value of each coaching hire, the one and most important thing we can not know til champagne hits hull: how good is the dynamic created? Individual assessment means much less. Think forging the concept of "team"matters with players? How about coaches?

The "sky is falling" crowd were saying our previous assistants should have been fired long ago. And I'd say most of that same crowd sees the new assistants as upgrades. The biggest key is getting Frost away from the offense. That was his offense and his play calling for the past four years. So if that changes with the new hires, the offense certainly could improve.
Just like you were complaining about the new RB was 3rd string on aTm. Interesting how our 5th string RB looked pretty good when he actually played. Agreed?

I can only feel assured that two are for sure upgrade. MJ and Busch. Busch possibly because he is replacing nobody in that position. One…..TT is stepping backwards moving Dawson in there.

The other three are at best “hope” hires. They all come with questions. The biggest reason most like them is their names are not Lubick, Held, or Austin. We know what we had there in SFs system. Verdict is out on those three.
Mark my words on this…..Whipple will only be as good as his first 6 games. If things are great after that he will hang for a bit. If it goes sideways he doesn’t have any reason to be committed to program.

Last edited:
I believe all or at least most here can agree what was happening on offense damn sure wasn't working! When the offense is ranked 21st in total yards and 71st in scoring something isn't working right? My hope is the new offensive coaching staff can make significant improvements in our ability to SCORE points. That's it... carry on! :Lol:

I believe all or at least most here can agree what was happening on offense damn sure wasn't working! When the offense is ranked 21st in total yards and 71st in scoring something isn't working right? My hope is the new offensive coaching staff can make significant improvements in our ability to SCORE points. That's it... carry on! :Lol:
some of it was working and some of it wasn’t. They moved the ball fine till they got to the red zone and they couldn’t spread the field. The two biggest problems was our running game….especially the lack of focus on the running game and reliance on the Quarterback.

I think we have missed the mark on the running game. Everything is leading towards more emphasis on the passing and by default less emphasis on running.

Here's the conundrum.. evidently at the same time something was working right..... . weird... the offense was dead but also alive. Schrodinger's Offense....

I can only feel assured that two are for sure upgrade. MJ and Busch. Busch possibly because he is replacing nobody in that position. One…..TT is stepping backwards moving Dawson in there.

The other three are at best “hope” hires. They all come with questions. The biggest reason most like them is their names are not Lubick, Held, or Austin. We know what we had there in SFs system. Verdict is out on those three.
Mark my words on this…..Whipple will only be as good as his first 6 games. If things are great after that he will hang for a bit. If it goes sideways he doesn’t have any reason to be committed to program.

I completely agree.

Be sure, I'm skeptical with bringing all of these new pieces and plans into the mix and expecting it to click as quickly as it needs to.

Mickey Joseph was a slam dunk hire (thanks to his Husker connections). Just about any school would welcome Mickey to their staff. Busch is an automatic upgrade simply because we've not yet had a full-time commitment to special teams under Frost.

Raiola is the biggest question mark. Very limited resume. I doubt he would have been pursued if not for his last name. Whipple -- I'm not at all sure. I'm not sure that Frost will truly give him full rein. I'm not sure that he has the energy and passion to perform in what is a critical, do-or-die season. I'm not sure that he can turn things around fast enough. Applewhite -- I don't yet have an opinion -- though his success relies highly on Raiola and Whipple.

That said, the changes were needed -- long ago. As I said in my previous post, we obviously needed to move on from Frost having full control over the offense. I'm hoping that will be the case -- or else it won't matter who we hired. The offense certainly could improve, so may as well take the gamble. The previous attempts weren't good enough.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back