• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Adrian Martinez will we see this year?

"on a scale of 1-10 (2018: 8, 2019: 4) what level of performance will we see from #2AM in 2020"

• Total voters
Agree... some things were on him, other things like play calls, snaps, injuries to key personnel, weren't his fault. He's our starter game 1 at the horseshoe. After that it's on him to keep it. Many people forget even when he was injured last year, McCaffrey wasn't starting. Glad they are keeping the competition up, that was part of his problem last year.
Do you think there's real competition this year for the spot? I'm talking like, AM isn't doing great, not bad either, just not great will Frost pull the trigger?

I love AM as he seems like a great guy so I would love for him to make it work.

I’m interested in seeing if AM is a captain this year after Frost called him out for being lackadaisical last year.

I don’t want lazy captains.

If he or LM plays I just hope we go with who gives us the best chance to win, and honestly with our roster I hope both are on the field at the same time a lot.

I agree and yet still try to keep perspective. While there is only one ball there are 11 components to the offense. More often the success of that play is dependent on all 11. Bad snaps, penalties, missed blocks, poor routes, dropped balls and fumbles probably out number poorly thrown passes as drive killers by at least double.
I agree with almost all of this. Not sure it is more than double but to your point. I really do think that a lot of 2AM early problems last year are directly related to timing being thrown off as a result of the bad snaps. Also it took a while for the running game to get going.

I just love how everyone believes luke should be starting this year and the doubters who question whether Frost will play the best guy. Seriously? We've seen LM operate less than 5% of the offense.

I guess I am not sure what you and Barnum are seeing. Go back and really take a look at the games he played in and the games he lost and I think he only played real poorly in 1 game and that was Purdue. Statistically he was off from the year before for sure. He did not play as well in 2019, but I wouldn't say he was terrible.

With the losses they took at WR and RB last year and all the injuries and everything else that went on with this team they needed AM to take a big step and play great. He didn't do that. I would say he to a medium step backwards.
It wasn't just how he played (stats, basically), but how he carried himself. Too often he looked timid. And if you look at the best QBs out there, they all have the ability to motivate the players around them and elevate their play. AM looked to me like he as content with being "just one of the guys". He seems to have the physical abilities to be pretty dang good, now he needs to step up and be a leader (think Tommie Frazier). If he's going to be the starting QB he needs to step up his leadership game.

Is it me or have we all seen these which Martinez threads before?
perhaps you could start a new kind of thread with something more original and pertinent to the minds of the BBS members on this husker football site 2 weeks before the season kicks off;
like which wine to pair with mackerel or the best way to get to Amarillo from Austin

I just love how everyone believes luke should be starting this year and the doubters who question whether Frost will play the best guy. Seriously? We've seen LM operate less than 5% of the offense.

now - I'm not in the "luke should be starting" camp. I'm in the, "If Adrian does not return to 2018 form or better, Luke should take over" camp with reasonable exceptions made for the performance of the team around him.

but the coach did have something to say about what "the offense" looks like with #7LM at the helm

“Right now our offense moves exceptionally well when he’s playing quarterback,” Frost said of McCaffrey. “He finds a way to make a lot of plays work. He’s throwing the ball really well. I don’t think anybody has questions about his athletic ability and speed.”

Last edited:

Do you think there's real competition this year for the spot? I'm talking like, AM isn't doing great, not bad either, just not great will Frost pull the trigger?

I love AM as he seems like a great guy so I would love for him to make it work.
I think once the first game kicks off, all bets are off. I do not think there is real competition until Martinez loses his spot on gamedays. They are doing a good job pumping McCaffrey up, but he has some deficiencies still. No one has seen him complete a pass in the pocket in college (save a pitch forward on a jet sweep they count as a pass) but we think he's capable of so much. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands, still has a little ways to go as a QB.

Spot on. He didn't complete a pass from within the pocket last year. The playbook was shrank for him. Not saying he isn't going to be good enough, but he's nowhere near 2018 Martinez vs Colorado. Frost wants to see if he can get AMart back to that.

This all works in Frosts favor anyway IMO. AMart has a tall task to look decent against our first 4 opponents, if we escape 2-2 people will be pretty excited about the next 4 games. If we are 1-3 we probably have given McCaffrey a look a few times in that stretch anyway and know what we have if we want to make a move.

I think once the first game kicks off, all bets are off. I do not think there is real competition until Martinez loses his spot on gamedays. They are doing a good job pumping McCaffrey up, but he has some deficiencies still. No one has seen him complete a pass in the pocket in college (save a pitch forward on a jet sweep they count as a pass) but we think he's capable of so much. He's dynamic with the ball in his hands, still has a little ways to go as a QB.
This is exactly my point. We have seen very little of LM. The measurement of AM shouldn't be whether he struggles or whether the offense struggles.......it should be about whether he is the best for the entire offense. Especially when AM isn't responsible for missed blocks, poor routes, penalties, and the running backs. Playing a few series with special designed plays for LM to mix it up is a lot different than turning over the reigns to him. SF and staff know who the best overall QB is. Lets let them call the shots without already questioning them with our limited exposure over their everyday observations.

This is exactly my point. We have seen very little of LM. The measurement of AM shouldn't be whether he struggles or whether the offense struggles.......it should be about whether he is the best for the entire offense. Especially when AM isn't responsible for missed blocks, poor routes, penalties, and the running backs. Playing a few series with special designed plays for LM to mix it up is a lot different than turning over the reigns to him. SF and staff know who the best overall QB is. Lets let them call the shots without already questioning them with our limited exposure over their everyday observations.
If Scott Frost makes the decision that a kid coming off a redshirt who has only played QB full-time for 2 years is better than our 2 year returning starter I will be shocked. If they do, i'll actually be really excited because I don't think they make that call unless LM has just been head and shoulders above Martinez. Which would be really exciting. I just don't believe he's at that level yet. But he's certainly a great kid to have as a backup and exciting to think about our offense with him in the future.

It wasn't just how he played (stats, basically), but how he carried himself. Too often he looked timid. And if you look at the best QBs out there, they all have the ability to motivate the players around them and elevate their play. AM looked to me like he as content with being "just one of the guys". He seems to have the physical abilities to be pretty dang good, now he needs to step up and be a leader (think Tommie Frazier). If he's going to be the starting QB he needs to step up his leadership game.

Yeah, he needs to be more of a leader. I would agree with that. It's easy to lead (think Tommie Frazier) when you are surrounded by all that talent. I am not bagging on TF he was a great leader. But it does make it easier.

If Scott Frost makes the decision that a kid coming off a redshirt who has only played QB full-time for 2 years is better than our 2 year returning starter I will be shocked. If they do, i'll actually be really excited because I don't think they make that call unless LM has just been head and shoulders above Martinez. Which would be really exciting. I just don't believe he's at that level yet. But he's certainly a great kid to have as a backup and exciting to think about our offense with him in the future.

For the record, I wouldn't be all that surprised if that happens. The McCaffreys seem to produce superhumans.

GET TICKETS

Back