• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What Adrian Martinez will we see this year?

"on a scale of 1-10 (2018: 8, 2019: 4) what level of performance will we see from #2AM in 2020"

• Total voters

BARNUM is back

Son of NUM
5 Year Member
I'm curious about your opinion:

this is assuming that Adrian starts and the premise is clearly subjective (you probably think where I pegged his 2018 & 2019 performances is trash - that's fine). I know that the team around Adrian the last couple of years affects how his performance looks (as it will this year) and that injuries have played a role here & they're hard to factor in, but if you feel like playing along, I'm interested to see what the board thinks we will see this year

"on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being terrible and 10 being great. with 2018 Martinez being an 8, and 2019 Martinez being a 4. Where do you think 2020 Adrian's performance will land on the scale?"

Last edited:

What is the premise on O-line performance? Are we presuming adequate protection or a continuation of our “jail break” blocking?

I'm a huge fan of AM but the reality of it is that he didn't have a great year. But we can't live in a vacuum without realizing there were other parts of that offense that weren't helping him. Our receivers were less than adequate and play calling didn't always support the offense. There is a reason Troy Walters was replaced. His running wasn't as aggressive as it was the first year.

I do find it humorous with the number of people who complained that he didn't see a wide open receiver. Obviously they have never played quarterback to realize that at 6-3 his eyes are about 5-9" off the ground and he's got offensive and defensive lineman should pads higher than that. It is not uncommon for a QB to NOT SEE a receiver or a defender through no mistake of their own.

What is the premise on O-line performance? Are we presuming adequate protection or a continuation of our “jail break” blocking?
I'm assuming competence & making my guess based on @ShortSideOption saying scheme is going to have an increased north-south focus in the run game, which should play more to our strengths in OL play, rather than having out-of-position guards at tackle and power guys do 1-on-1 work in space all game.

Should complement AM's improved health & (hopefully) mental state. There are still concerns to me about his play, but the table is set for a nice step forward from last year.

you guys are quite a bit more optimistic than I would have guessed - majority thinking he'll be as good or better* than he was as a freshman.

I'm going to have a hard time believing that last year was just a bad episode and not a downward trend until I see otherwise

Last edited:
you guys are quite a bit more optimistic than I would have guessed. large majority thinking he'll be as good or better* than he was as a freshman.

I'm going to have a hard time believing that last year was just a bad episode and not a downward trend until I see otherwise
Sooo you have never heard the expression Sophomore Slump? It happens pretty frequently especially to a kid that has no one pushing him.

I'm curious about your opinion:

this is assuming that Adrian starts and the premise is clearly subjective (you probably think where I pegged his 2018 & 2019 performances is trash - that's fine). I know that the team around Adrian the last couple of years affects how his performance looks (as it will this year) and that injuries have played a role here & they're hard to factor in, but if you feel like playing along, I'm interested to see what the board thinks we will see this year

"on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being terrible and 10 being great. with 2018 Martinez being an 8, and 2019 Martinez being a 4. Where do you think 2020 Adrian's performance will land on the scale?"

So IRO Martinez played half as well as he did in 2018? I don't think I would say that.

2018-7
2019-5
2020-8 Hopefully.

There is no doubt that Martinez QB play dropped off in 2019. So did the o-line play, RB play and WR play. It all needs to get better.

"What Adrian Martinez will see this year"? Hopefully the bench if he plays like he did last year.

I guess I am not sure what you and Barnum are seeing. Go back and really take a look at the games he played in and the games he lost and I think he only played real poorly in 1 game and that was Purdue. Statistically he was off from the year before for sure. He did not play as well in 2019, but I wouldn't say he was terrible.

With the losses they took at WR and RB last year and all the injuries and everything else that went on with this team they needed AM to take a big step and play great. He didn't do that. I wold say he to a medium step backwards.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back