• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What about high school sports this fall?

Good info. This thing will be around forever like the cold or flu. I'd wager that everyone on the planet has had a cold, and most have had the flu in their lifetime. That makes me believe that eventually I'll get the Wuhan flu as well. Has me wondering if its better in the long run to get it while I'm young and reasonably healthy?

YOu can the others you mentioned more than once. What says getting the Whuhan flu now will not keep you from getting it again, at least I read into your message.

YOu can the others you mentioned more than once. What says getting the Whuhan flu now will not keep you from getting it again, at least I read into your message.

You have antibodies. How long you have them is anyone's guess as to right now. We will know more in a year, that's for sure!

I think that college should play in the spring. It gives us the best chance of having an uninterrupted season. High school sports is tough, these kids only have so many years to play. It seems obvious to say that they shouldnt be put at risk but as someone who coaches here in Nebraska I just cant imagine not having a senior football season for these kids.

The plan to play and have school is all good.

Very simple, What happens when a student or teacher at a public school dies from Covid?

Kind of like the plan a fighter had going into the ring against young Tyson, all good till you get punched in the mouth!

You shouldn’t get beat up for saying that. It’s definitely not a death sentence. Part of what needs to be taken into consideration, though, isn’t just immediate life/death, but also long-term ramifications. We’re just starting to be able to dig into those. Many people on ventilators for an extended amount of time have to be released to long-term facilities and may never get their full lung capacities back. And for other people, the impact isn’t respiratory at all. This virus could be far more complex than originally thought.

Citation: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-effects-idUSKBN23X1BZ

And so what each school has to decide is whether it’s worth these risks to play sports. Most of the athletes who get infected should be ok, (though again, long-term ramifications are still unknown.) But coaches, families and friends are also then at a higher risk of infection.

I don’t envy the people responsible for these decisions.
Aren't all those short and long term ramifications and unknowns the same with any seasonal flu?

You have antibodies. How long you have them is anyone's guess as to right now. We will know more in a year, that's for sure!

It's not just antibodies. research now is showing that a much higher group of people have T Cells. Here's a good primer

a key quote: "In contrast to antibody-mediated immunity, T-cell response is extremely long-lived. For example, people infected in 2003 with SARS-1 still mount an immune response to #SARSCoV2 17 years later. (10/13) "

The plan to play and have school is all good.

Very simple, What happens when a student or teacher at a public school dies from Covid?

Kind of like the plan a fighter had going into the ring against young Tyson, all good till you get punched in the mouth!
You would do the same thing that anyone would do... mourn and go to their funeral.... people die from many things every day.... no hidi g from that.

HS update:

Our annual 5 day camp at Ohio Northern University that was changed a few weeks ago to a 3 day "camp" at our school and scheduled for this weekend has now been postponed until late July. In my opinion there is about a 5% chance of HS football this year in Michigan, and I am attributing that 5% to spring time. NO WAY there is HS football here this fall.

Lil' All 'N' has his last day conditioning tomorrow and his 5 day middle school basketball camp is next week. So far, things are still a go here in Salina, KS.

Texas School Superintendent stated yesterday that it is highly likely there will be no high school football in Texas this fall.

Think about that one

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back