• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

What A Joke

Yes, NU is deep enough to overtake the Big 10's saturday and sunday starters. Yippee.

That should be enough to win this conference.

It's baseball. Stuff like Friday happens. Why are you glossing over the offensive show this team is putting on? I think we've scored almost as many runs in the first 1/3 of the season this year as we did all last year.

That should be enough to win this conference.

It's baseball. Stuff like Friday happens. Why are you glossing over the offensive show this team is putting on? I think we've scored almost as many runs in the first 1/3 of the season this year as we did all last year.

And the winner of this conference gets? Nothing. One bid league this year, or possibly two if Purdue loses the conference tourney and gets an at large.

Evidently my point is missing some of you. I'm talking big picture here and not Big 10. If NU doesn't have an ace to shut down a friday night team, this team is in trouble in the post season, starting with the Big 10 tourney.

As for the bats? Look at the teams NU has played compared to last year. SOS of 89 right now and that will go down as the season goes on. Winning in college baseball begins and ends with pitching. And with pitching it begins with your # 1. We shouldn't thump our chest at putting up runs against Illinois 2 & 3 pitchers (where were the bats against Illinois # 1?)

I don't want to sound like negative nellie, but its depressing to see how far NU is off from being a regionally competitve team. I thought they'd be farther. Todays OWH said that NU has a weekend ERA of 6.32. Ouch. I knew it was going to take a while, but I didn't think NU is several years away from competing nationally, and I think thats where they are, is several years away.

Last edited:
I will admit I don't follow a lot of baseball but I do feel the correct coaches are in place and that it will take more than a year to correct some things these kids are doing wrong. Yes, we can make excuses for everything but with the limitations coaches can spend with kids in the offseason I strongly feel things will get better. I just chose to focus on the positive.

Well, theoretically we should sweep every team in the conference if we want to get back to where we were in the early to mid 2000's. But in baseball that doesn't happen, and games like Friday night do. We may not have our Friday night guy yet, sometimes it takes until mid-season to find out who your go-to guy is...

Illinois won the conference last year and the B1G tournament, so a series win is a nice way to start. This team has some serious bat-atude but the pitching is going to have to keep up, they appear to be the weak link. GBR... Go Erstad :thumbsup:

It was a good series win, but it still doesn't replace for fact we don't have a Friday night guy.

Yes, NU is deep enough to overtake the Big 10's saturday and sunday starters. Yippee.

Gauge this team on its ability to go into the Big 10 tourney or regionals and stay in the winners bracket right away, not on its ability to beat Illinois saturday and sunday guys.

Who bowed out? I was pointing out the obvious: That its disappointing there isn't a Komine/Marsden/Watson type guy on the bump on Friday night to roll over the sadness that is the Big 10.

This should've been an sweep, not 2 of 3.

Good grief, now their not allowed to lose? your in for a very long year my friend.

Formunda Cheese, I'm sure we'll do ok on Friday's. Any team that can bounce back after getting their butts kicked, as was the case this last Friday, will do just fine. :thumbsup:

As our pitching improves, we will be that much stronger.

Last edited:
This prolly deserves its own thread but it'll fit in here...

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-basebl/stats/2011-2012/lgteams.html

This is the team stats throughout the big ten...id say the Huskers are holding up fairly well concidering the turnover in coaching philosophy and relatively no days off this month...this could be hampering the pitching a bit...also, dont look now..Huskers are tied with purdue in first place

To be honest, my expectations were low for this year, right now they are far exceeding what i yhought they would be doing

And the winner of this conference gets? Nothing. One bid league this year, or possibly two if Purdue loses the conference tourney and gets an at large.

Evidently my point is missing some of you. I'm talking big picture here and not Big 10. If NU doesn't have an ace to shut down a friday night team, this team is in trouble in the post season, starting with the Big 10 tourney.

As for the bats? Look at the teams NU has played compared to last year. SOS of 89 right now and that will go down as the season goes on. Winning in college baseball begins and ends with pitching. And with pitching it begins with your # 1. We shouldn't thump our chest at putting up runs against Illinois 2 & 3 pitchers (where were the bats against Illinois # 1?)

I don't want to sound like negative nellie, but its depressing to see how far NU is off from being a regionally competitve team. I thought they'd be farther. Todays OWH said that NU has a weekend ERA of 6.32. Ouch. I knew it was going to take a while, but I didn't think NU is several years away from competing nationally, and I think thats where they are, is several years away.

Newsflash: We've been a BAD baseball team for several years. Did you think we were just going to become a CWS contender overnight? This team is playing what appears to be their best baseball in 3, maybe 4, years. Some would call their performance this year a miracle turnaround already. Because Joba and Shane don't have any eligibility left you're ready to throw the season in the garbage.

Newsflash: We've been a BAD baseball team for several years. Did you think we were just going to become a CWS contender overnight? This team is playing what appears to be their best baseball in 3, maybe 4, years. Some would call their performance this year a miracle turnaround already. Because Joba and Shane don't have any eligibility left you're ready to throw the season in the garbage.

Newsflash: The team has been bad in Big 12 play. Out of conference the last few years NU has actually been pretty good. There is legitimate Big 12 talent on this team, I didn't realize the pitching was that far off. I thought this team had the potential to be regionally competitive this year. I was wrong.

Good grief, now their not allowed to lose? your in for a very long year my friend.

Sure they are going to lose, what you don't want to do is lose on Friday nights when your #1 goes against the other teams #1. Nebraska plays 5 conference teams with an RPI around 200, and a 6th with an RPI of 140. Nebraska's RPI may go down just by playing them, whether or not they win or lose.

We may not have our Friday night guy yet, sometimes it takes until mid-season to find out who your go-to guy is...

If that guy was on the staff he'd be pitching on Friday nights.

Some of you are misinterpreting my tone. I haven't given up on the team, nor do I think they suck. I'm pointing out some red flags that I'm seeing (imo) for this team to be regionally competitive.

Northwestern this weekend.

Northwestern's RPI = 267 out of 297 teams.

You want a good laugh, go to Northwesterns website and look at their baseball field (you'll notice that the your neighborhood park has a nicer diamond then Northwesterns)

If that guy was on the staff he'd be pitching on Friday nights.

Incorrect, could be a freshnmen still coming in to his own, or an older player still adjusting to the new staff. Did you forget we had a coaching change? Baylor didn't find their ace until the series before the BigXII tournamet one year, and they rode him to super regionals....

Incorrect, could be a freshnmen still coming in to his own, or an older player still adjusting to the new staff. Did you forget we had a coaching change? Baylor didn't find their ace until the series before the BigXII tournamet one year, and they rode him to super regionals....

Incorrect, none of the pitchers on the staff have the stuff to dominate on Friday nights.

From Tom Shatel today:

• After beating Nebraska in the Big Ten opener on Friday, Illinois pitcher Kevin Johnson said the Illini were out to show Nebraska what Big Ten baseball was all about. The Huskers then got another view: They scored 31 runs on 24 hits in the final two games and walloped Illinois to take the series.
NU coach Darin Erstad understands: "Absolutely. They want to show Nebraska that they can't just walk in and start winning. We're going to get everyone's best shot."
After losing to Johnson, the Huskers went through nine Illini pitchers on Saturday and Sunday. Is this the Big Ten? Get past the first pitcher and have your way? This will be interesting to watch as the conference season winds toward May. Illinois, which won the Big Ten tourney last year, ranks ninth in the league in pitching. Nebraska is sixth. More outings like Zach Hirsch's on Sunday won't hurt.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back