• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Western Stars

I've never owned a Bruce album or really been a big Springsteen fan and it has nothing to do with his politics. He does have some solid tunes and I really liked what I heard with Western Stars. However, Youtube is good enough for me, if I feel the need to listen to any of his stuff. Some good exchanges in this thread. Nice!

The Reagan pushback didn't bother me at all, because he made similar disparaging comments about politics in general. Now his later attacks on anything not related to the left gave me massive heartburn. He said some pretty stupid things at a concert I went to and I've never been back. That was surrounding the 'Working on a Dream' turd. I've stopped spending my money on his concerts because of his politics. It's really just a punishment of myself, because he'll never notice and doesn't care. I still buy his music and listen to it frequently. I still like the idealistic young man he was and the artist he still is, but don't care for the entitled millionaires political viewpoints. I don't think he's a bad guy and actually think he's got his heart in the right place, but I'm really not looking for advice from my musicians. I wish I could talk to him about a few things, but that's not on the menu.
It's funny how music can transcend our frustrations with one musician but not so much with another. I don't disagree with one thing you said about Springsteen but would never think to write anything like that down about him. This frustrates my conservative friends because he seems to be a popular target to report on every political season. Now, if you would have asked me what I thought about Bono back in the 90's I could pretty much copy your comments word for word. It has never stopped me from buying their music because I was supporting the other 3 guys in the band :cool:, but the one time I had a chance to see them I wouldn't pay the ticket price because I was so fed up with his hypocrisy. My frustrations have long faded with him though as he is one of those guys who walks the walk.

It's all different though when a musician politically grandstands while onstage whether you agree with them or not. This is a game changer for me too. I have also been pleasantly surprised by musician's who I thought would use their stage to pontificate but held back. After the 2000 election it seems we ran a few years where the acts I saw all had to take their cracks at W. One surprise was when I saw Todd Rundgren here in KC sometime in the mid-2000's(??). I went to the show with several screaming liberals and they wanted him to unload on W but he didn't. He just quickly observed his dissatisfaction and then acknowledged that we were all there to have fun and rocked the house. It was the only time I saw him live so he didn't stain it with his opinion. It was a fantastic event.

My wife and I decided to stream this on Amazon. We had to pay ~$5 to see it.

Generally we liked it. It was a little bit different than I expected. It was basically more a concert than an extended music video. It seemed relatively long. Each song was introduced with a bit of an explanation of what it was about combined with some long time Bruce philosophical comments. The general comments are some you'd gotten over the years on talk shows, covered a bit more in his Broadway show, and most fully explored in his autobiography. In general, they were good, but they could come across as a bit cliche or cornball in this show, if you hadn't followed Bruce over the years (and realized he tended to make them). They were not political. He did invoke God a few times, which caused my wife to ask about his religious beliefs (I would characterize Bruce as an agnostic, who is respectful of other's beliefs, but still uses God as a concept in his understanding of human behavior and the world).

My wife said the early part of the album was "Life Sucks and then you Die..." but she felt it got better as it went along. I though it was far more California centric than I had expected. It got close to insipid at times (how many times can you show a old man driving a not quite as old El Camino in the scrubs?). I liked his introductions of the songs, it was very much IMO a concept album. Yeah, Bruce can string some lyrics together, I though it pretty funny he worked the "little blue pill" into one song... but this guy wrote "Blinded by the Light..."

Bruce alluded to some of his failings, since she hadn't read his book, or followed much about him over the years, I had to explain them.

My wife also commented that she had been seeing lot of turning 70 celebrities doing all sorts of weird philosophical stuff. She guessed they are realizing that they are near the end of life and living on borrowed time (aren't we all? but after 70 one is more than before).

One other weird one was he introduced one of his songs by invoking Jimmy Webb, which I wasn't sure I followed it... Not sure which Jimmy Webb song he was talking about... I didn't think the album or show was over produced even if he had a big orchestra. He might have had a glockenspiel in there somewhere, but I don't know if I can tell that. One song had an accordion which got a little annoying.

Overall, the cinematography was very good. It was a good album, not his best. Not his worst. I'd probably just listen to the album after this (don't need all the extra time the other stuff took).

I also liked his closing song. It was one I hadn't expected. I liked his version, better than Glen Campbell's

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back